Catering Gig Advice Please!!!!!!

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have been getting several small catering gigs as of late and this one coming up will be my biggest. That being said it will be for 150 people. This is a kindergarten graduation and will be around 40 or so kids the rest will be adults and siblings.
I have been asked to quote pulled pork and some type of chicken (one of the board members requested BBQ breast or thighs).
Okay for the question how many pork butts and chicken would you do? And how do you usually price? I have been doing 2 and a half times the products cost for profit.
This gig I will not have to serve just drop the stuff off and set up.

Thank you so much for any advice!!!!!

I'd count the kiddies as a half a person for the purpose of portioning.. so I'd figure it to be 130 people. Third of a pound per person gets you to about 40lbs of cooked butt.. or 8 butts. Then if you're doing chicken as well, you can probably subtract a third of a pound for each serving of chicken. Figuring half of the people to be women. I'd plan on 60 or so pieces of chicken. That takes off 20 lbs of pork, getting you back down to 4 butts. That's where I'd start and adjust as you feel.
For pricing, we usually multiply cost times 3 to get our food costs down close to 30%. Don't forget to charge for sauce and such as well.
We would also probably do an extra butt or so as well since they're cheap and better to have a little extra then run short.
I'm sure others have more experience and will have other opinions.

Last catering job I did was for 70 people on PP. Smoked 5 butts and had plenty of left overs. Thats including a couple of neighbors putting down 7-10 sammiches each.

Back