MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #1
Statik
Found some matches.

Default Cabelas Pro 24 vs GMG Daniel Boone

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here. Hope all is well. I've been going strong with my second hand Pitts n Spitts stick burner, but now I'm ready to shelf my Weber 26" for a pellet. I've convinced myself, when doing small BBQ or when the weather is just crappy, I could benefit from a pellet.

I need some advice. I've been researching for almost a year...traeger, rec-tec, grilla, GMG, Cabelas, Camp-Chef, Dansons, etc.

I've narrowed it to the 2 in the title

Cabelas:

-lifetime warranty (talked to a friend at cabelas and says they rarely seem em back, but when they do, they honor the warranty no questions)
-2 meat probes
- larger cooking area and much better top shelf in the same size pkg.
- bigger hopper
- I have enough cabelas points to buy it outright
- Dansons tells me the controller is closer to a Louisiana than a PitBoss

BUT....while personal reviews say it's great, there have been some recent reviews talking trash on it. It also sounds like the sear grate causes an increased hotspot over the other brands, but can be remedied with a heat sink like a water pan or other heat shield.

GMG

I'll have to wait til the next huge sale in Easter since I just missed the black friday...but

-it would be cheaper ($499 for wifi)
-wifi option
- better heat management plate
- pizza oven attachment (but it seems like it might also fit the cabelas since the fire pots and rough dims are similar
- some rust issues

as far as accessories, I'll make my own Thermal blanket so that's a bust.

I'm kinda leaning towards cabelas because:

i have the points, all grills have hot spots, and i wouldn't have to wait for a sale, lol.

However, I would rather wait and get the better grill if that's the case. Also, I'm trying to keep it $599 or less. I know there are overall, better grills, but for the features vs. price for my use, these are the best two IMO.

Thanks group.
Statik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
SeanBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Interested in this. Am looking for something similar thinking to replace the Weber. Also kinda kicking around replacing the Pint and the Weber and going with a Yoder but $$$ is keeping me in the GMG ballpark.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Statik
Found some matches.

Have a friend that knows the Owner at Yoder. Unfortunately said the margins are low enough on his pellet models that he can't discount.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Statik
Found some matches.

I do have the sales guy, Mike, at Yoder's contact if you're wanting to reach out.

I guess at this point, I imagine the GMG and the Cabelas are nearly the same, so it'd be a matter if anybody had an extremely negative review outside of a parts issue (as those happen from time to time).

Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

I would also agree that both are going to be pretty similar. GMGs warranty is great, but it seems like Cabelas will do the same. Personally, I don't think the Wifi is worth it. But, that's for you to decide. I've been happy with my GMG, but if I had the Cabelas points I'd be getting that one.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Statik
Found some matches.

Thanks. I'll probably wait the weekend to see if anybody else weighs in, but as of now, I'm 95% on the Cabelas just because of the lifetime warranty and my points.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #7
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

i've owned a gmg db for 7 years . can't see any rust because it's "well seasoned " . it was originally a remote control unit . then i upgraded it to wifi after that came out .

i paid $850 back then . not sure what the factory therm blanket cost now .....$80 well worth the cost . you couldn't diy anything better . bought it w/ my db an it's still going strong 7 yrs going.

push button great food .

btw the db is on sale right now for 549 :)
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 11:26 PM   #8
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can’t give you an a vs. b comparison but I can tell you I am SOLD on pellet cooking and our Daniel Boone!

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #9
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I'm not familiar with the Cabela model, but I'm not sure why they put a window on it. You'll not be able to see through the window after a cook or two as it'll blacken with smoke. Years ago I had a grill that had a window and windows don't work on grills or smokers. Of course, I'm sure the window is not controlling your decision here - it just bugs me that they try to gimmick it up. If you can't think of anything else to use your points on, then the Cabela is a no brainer.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #10
Statik
Found some matches.

I agree, the window is a terrible marketing gimmick for folks who've never grilled/smoked before....or really don't know anything about what smokey environments do in general.

I could always use a new gun , but that would piss the wife off and I can get guns so much cheaper through my gun guy, that I feel bad for wasting points. So outside of guns, ammo, or some other trinket; we were just saving our points for a cabela's experience some time down the road.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #11
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Given that you've got enough points, getting a smoker for no cash output is a nice position. I've never seen the Cabela in person, but I have had (at one time or another) all 3 smokers from the GMG family. The DB I had worked well and did a great job holding temps. I ended up giving it a good friend of mine and he absolutely loves it. The customer service from GMG is also top notch. My DB didn't have WiFi, but my Davy Crockett does and I really like the WiFi feature. Before I got the WiFi DC, like many others, I wondered if I really needed WiFi. Turns out I don't "need" WiFi, but I really like the convenience of it. Call me lazy, but I really like monitoring the food temps and controlling the smoker temps on my phone from INSIDE the house. After all, we're talking about a pellet pooper, so the WiFi just enhances the laziness, right?

Here's I see it:

Cabelas = No cash output, but blackened window and wife/friends asking why you can't see through the window.

GMG = $$$ output, WiFi, and no questions about any blackened windows.

Either way, I'm sure you'll still produce great food. My guess is that they will both perform similarly. If you get the Cabela, be sure to post some pics here.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #12
Statik
Found some matches.

Alrighty crew, I'll bite the bullet on the Cabelas....#guineapig

Will post back after I get it all seasoned in. Will be doing prime rib for xmas as the first cook after I season it.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

No experience with the Cabela's unit. My DB is 5 yrs old. Absolutely love it. I got the non wifi model, but I called CS because the set temp was off by 30*. The Rep asked what firmware I was running. Told him I'm not, it's a non wifi unit. His answer was, not anymore. They sent me a new wifi controller and temp sensor.
If you get the GMG, don't mess around with making a thermal cover. GMG's is cheap enough and works fantastic.

Good luck deciding. The Cabela's points would probably push me in that direction, even though I love my GMG.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

I saw the large Cabelas pellet smoker last weekend at Bass Pro Shop. All in all, it seemed like a pretty solid unit. Look forward to seeing/hearing more after you receive it :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #15
Statik
Found some matches.

Alright gents....here she is....freshly assembled today.

https://imgur.com/a/diVI9jH
https://imgur.com/a/IgCdePX
https://imgur.com/a/SiegYOt

I'll get her seasoned in this weekend and report back.