MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default IBCA Entry Quantity Question...

The IBCA rules state that 7 ribs and 7 brisket slices should be turned in. I take this to be a minimum amount. Does anyone know if it is against the rules to put more than that in the box? Also what if your chicken halves are small? Would it be permissable to put two in the box as long as they fit?

Thanks in advance?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

At the last IBCA contest we cooked it was a strict 7 ribs, placed horizontal with the hinge...4 on bottom and three on top. For brisket, it was also a strict 7 slices all approximately the width of a #2 pencil. Teams did get sent back for slices that were sliced both too wide and too thin.

As for chicken, it's one half chicken in each box. I believe it's 2 half chickens once the team count for an event goes over X amount of teams (I have no idea what the X value is though). In our experience, a 4lb chicken is the size that we use to get a half chicken that will fit nicely in the box.

I'm sure others can add to your questions.

Best of luck.

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
The IBCA rules state that 7 ribs and 7 brisket slices should be turned in. I take this to be a minimum amount. Does anyone know if it is against the rules to put more than that in the box? Also what if your chicken halves are small? Would it be permissable to put two in the box as long as they fit?

Thanks in advance?
It is against the rules. You put in the number of ribs, slices, chicken halves that is announced at the cooks meeting. Unless something has changed, an error should be caught at turn in when the box is opened for inspection, but if you are out of time it might cause some issues you can't overcome.

The short answer, turn in whatever the head judge tells you to

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I figured it would be. I know that the entries are probably gonna be cold by the time they are sampled no matter what. I was just hoping to give myself a little extra thermal mass.

Oh well guess I'll just try and make the best tasting room temp BBQ that I can

Old 10-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Q-dat,

You cooking in Ponchatoula?
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you aren't used to IBCA be careful with the time between turn in. After KCBS I'm used to 30 minutes. An hour plus kills me, and I can prove that I can screw up some good meat in 60 minutes if I don't have anything else to do.

Dovetailing with keeping the meat as hot as possible, don't pull it out of the cooler/Cambro too early just because you have nothing else to do at the moment.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

Brisket can not be trimmed in length once it is cooked. You just have to bend it to fit in the box and there must be 7 and only seven slices placed parallel to the hinge. Sauce can be used during the cooking process but can not be added after slicing. No pooling of juice and/or sauce in the container. It is tilted to one conor at turnin and if juice you must use a paper towel to sop it up. Foil is the only garnish and they supply it. Your brisket better be good at least an hour after turnin if you make the finals table. Also the tendency is to slightly overcook it because a knife and fork are used by the judges for judging and they are usally allowed to sample only 1/4th of 1 slice each.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #8
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
Q-dat,

You cooking in Ponchatoula?
Yessir! Finally gonna get to cook that contest after three years of other things getting in the way!

You gonna be there?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Bayou Boogie BBQ
Got Wood.

Last year Ponchatoula had over 50 teams. If that's the case again this year then the quantities should go up. 9 slices of brisket and 9 ribs, plus you have to put 2 half chickens in the box. They will provide a larger box for the chicken, which will hold 2 halves.
Bayou Boogie BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

X2 on what Crash said about chicken size. Make sure and get some birds that are under 5#, mid 4's will work just fine.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

They wi tell you exactly how much, and how, to put in the box at the head cooks meeting. No more, no less. If time allows they will allow you to correct mistakes at turn in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Yup, we'll be using the large chicken boxes for this one. And there's always a LOT of judges in Ponchatoula - right now we're planning on going to 9 ribs and 9 slices of brisket. If you're looking at buying chickens right now, PLEASE make sure the wingtip isn't cut off (the butchers do that in Lafayette) - that's considered a marked box and we can't accept it - and please keep the wings in their "natural" position, not broken and bent back like I've seen. Cooks meeting is at 7pm Friday - after dinner.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Q-dat,

Unfortunately, I cannot attend this one. My niece is getting married on Saturday at 3 in the afternoon so i can't make it.... just like the last the last 4 contests near me. It is also the IBCA Louisiana Pit added money event so that makes it even worse but to brighten my day a little more, the next contest i could have made just got cancelled. Starting to feel like i'll never get to cook again....Oh well...the world keeps spinning and i was having a pretty bad season anyway.

Good luck in Ponchatoula!!
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
nukenight
On the road to being a farker

I packed 70-some large chicken boxes and nearly 200 regular turn-in boxes in the car earlier this afternoon. We are ready for a crowd in Ponchatoula!
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
Yup, we'll be using the large chicken boxes for this one. And there's always a LOT of judges in Ponchatoula - right now we're planning on going to 9 ribs and 9 slices of brisket. If you're looking at buying chickens right now, PLEASE make sure the wingtip isn't cut off (the butchers do that in Lafayette) - that's considered a marked box and we can't accept it - and please keep the wings in their "natural" position, not broken and bent back like I've seen. Cooks meeting is at 7pm Friday - after dinner.

Lynn H.
And watch out for that cumin right? ;)