MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
Smoking k's
Found some matches.

Wicked Good I pay $19.00 a bag for many
Smoking k's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #17
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Smoking K - Where do you purchase, if you dont mind me asking..Only location that I've seen here in the Raleigh area that has WG is Ace hardware/tru value...Definitely going to pick up some Cowboy to try for searing steaks, jerk etc that doesnt take that long..

Thanks all for the awesome advice...Sun was an epic day of grilling/smoking..
uncblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Bronxbbq
Got rid of the matchlight.

Just did a 17 hour cook with Cowboy. All tree lumps no scraps. Still have a lot left in the cooker.
Bronxbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm in the process of selling all the Cowboy i picked up as of late. Really find the smell of it lighting not pleasant.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I kind of find that Wicked Good from Ace hardware is spotty. I have watched them throw the bags around when I bought 6 of them awhile back. They don't seem to understand they should be treating it like a dozen eggs. I really like WG but put up with the weird stuff I occasionally get in the bag. I find the BGE lump to be more consistent in size. Between the two, I would get the WG.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #21
Dirtbuddy
is one Smokin' Farker

Funny you say that Marty, well not that funny actually. My last purchase from Ace i bought was 4 bags of WG, and once i got them home realized that they mishandled. From on the outside that bags looked pretty beat up and the contents was the proof. I sent them an email expressing my concerns in the purchase and they sent me a $30 promotional code for my next online purchase.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #22
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ace online is no longer offering Wicked Good and our local stores don't stock it. I bought a bunch of it when they had Black Friday deals and the prices were too good to be true to pass on!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #23
dajogejr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Cowboy lump has vastly improved their product. The Cowboy that is produced in Mexico is a superior product to Royal Oak. 100% of the lump is chunks of trees and not scrap wood from a mill. Very little unusable dust/chips. It is denser than Royal Oak but not as dense as Wicked Good Weekend Warrior.

After purchasing one bag and trying it out, i went out and bought another 5 bags.
After using both in the past few weeks, I'm going to disagree with this statement.

The Cowboy has much bigger pieces, and it is actually tree material instead of scraps (made in Mexico) but the quality is not the same as Royal Oak.

The Cowboy does burn longer, but you get a lot more "Blue" smoke from it then you do RO.

I just cooked several times over the last few weeks on Cowboy. I burn off the blue smoke for a solid hour or more at 400 plus on my BGE.

I can throw RO in there, 20 minutes later it's clean and ready to cook.

I too bought 4 bags for 32ish and had them shipped to my TV locally.

However, after using a bag and a half of 'boy, I'm back to RO on my Egg.

YMMV on your particular smoker, but the RO is where I'll go back to.
@ 20 lbs for Cowboy vs. 17.7lbs for RO, the Cowboy is a better deal, but my food is tasting better with RO and I'm not waiting for all the blue smoke to burn off. I know, I can clean it up a little with Hickory or more chips, but the point is I shouldn't have to. FWIW

Old 05-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #24
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
After using both in the past few weeks, I'm going to disagree with this statement.

The Cowboy has much bigger pieces, and it is actually tree material instead of scraps (made in Mexico) but the quality is not the same as Royal Oak.

The Cowboy does burn longer, but you get a lot more "Blue" smoke from it then you do RO.

I just cooked several times over the last few weeks on Cowboy. I burn off the blue smoke for a solid hour or more at 400 plus on my BGE.

I can throw RO in there, 20 minutes later it's clean and ready to cook.

I too bought 4 bags for 32ish and had them shipped to my TV locally.

However, after using a bag and a half of 'boy, I'm back to RO on my Egg.

YMMV on your particular smoker, but the RO is where I'll go back to.
@ 20 lbs for Cowboy vs. 17.7lbs for RO, the Cowboy is a better deal, but my food is tasting better with RO and I'm not waiting for all the blue smoke to burn off. I know, I can clean it up a little with Hickory or more chips, but the point is I shouldn't have to. FWIW
I like it fine, it reminds me of the Lazzari mesquite lump I use. I think it has mesquite in it, I could be wrong.

just another weapon in the aresnal I guess.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
dajogejr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I like it fine, it reminds me of the Lazzari mesquite lump I use. I think it has mesquite in it, I could be wrong.

just another weapon in the aresnal I guess.
Absolutely different strokes for different folks. It's not horrible... :)
It's ok for a long cook @ slow and low.

But for short cooks, or hot and fast cooks (pizzas, etc.) I'd rather go RO.
Again, this is for my egg, your mileage may vary for other smoker/cooker types.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
Plaid Palace

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Ace online is no longer offering Wicked Good and our local stores don't stock it. I bought a bunch of it when they had Black Friday deals and the prices were too good to be true to pass on!
Ace now sells Kamado Joe Lump. I have been told by several different sources KJ is made by Wicked Good.
Plaid Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #27
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Hey all...I tried Royal Oak for the 1st time yesterday on some Ribeyes..Not as dense as the WG but man for the price and for high temp quick cooks, it's hard to beat!!! As always the advice on the forum is spot on...

What is the best price & location that you've found for RO? I got this one 16 lb bag from Kmart..wallyworld was completely out...

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #28
dajogejr

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncblue View Post
What is the best price & location that you've found for RO? I got this one 16 lb bag from Kmart..wallyworld was completely out...
You'll find many brands of Lump are actually Royal Oak rebagged and re-branded.

BGE Lump IS RO.

If you have a Restaurant Depot near you, they still, last I checked, had 17.6 lb bags for 8.99. That's about the cheapest you're going to find it.

In a pinch, I've gone to Gordon Food Service and gotten their lump. It's in a black bag and made by RO as well, but the size/quality just isn't the same as what I get from RD in the orange bag.

Wicked Good makes great lump, but even harder to find and nearly twice the price.

Royal Oak is made in Georgia, I'd be surprised if it wasn't plentiful somewhere near you!!

Old 06-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #29
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I have never used BGE but can state that Wicked Good is awesome- definately my favorite
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

the closest Restaraunt depot is about 3 hrs away in Charlotte...Luckily we have family that lives there so we make the trip regularly...with a 4 week old though, no telling when the next trip will be...

Are they super strict on the membership and having to have a tax id #? If so, is there a work around that the brethern have found.. How are prices on other items? I see lots of cool things I'd like from them