• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I've added an UDS to my arsenal

SirPorkaLot

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Yesterday I cut the top off, drilled my intake holes, built my charcoal basket, and started a fire in the bottom my my barrel (without basket)

Today I emptied the (still hot) coals, drilled my grate support holes, and fired her up.

Right now there is a basket full of charcoal all intakes are closed, and I am monitoring temps at grate level and at dome level.
Interestingly enough the grate (which is ~30" above the bottom of the basket) is at 334, and the dome is at 361 - this is with all intakes closed and vents (weber lid) open.

I am going to monitor for a while like it is, to see how it holds these temps, or whether it falls a bit and then settles out.

I am using a full bag of K-comp. in my basket to season it with, so the amount of briquettes may be the reason for the high temps.
Also the outside ambient is 32 degrees right now.

I will report back..

How did you get the coals going? That could be it too. But dontcha just love that thing already? It can hold there for hours. Can't wait to see it.

Sounds cool! But you know an UDS is not the end all be all of smokers, right? (ducking now..) lol

How did you get the coals going? That could be it too. But dontcha just love that thing already? It can hold there for hours. Can't wait to see it.

put one chimney full of charcoal on top of a basket of unlit charcoal.

I like to experiment starting with extremes. Therefore a whole bag of charcoal in the basket with all intakes closed - I can adjust from there as I learn the dynamics of the drum.

A full chim will get it all hot and bothered.......best way to season it though. Congrats.

Your gonna have a hot fire for quite a while. Problem is with the vents closed your not burning clean and thats not a good way to season.

YMMV :cool:

Your gonna have a hot fire for quite a while. Problem is with the vents closed your not burning clean and thats not a good way to season.

True dat. I was only thinking about the heat and not the clean. Good point Bubba.

Vents are open. Intakes are closed... are you suggesting I open an intake a hair to give it some oxygen? Like a 1/4" open perhaps?

Looking good so far. My drum runs hotter when empty probably due to air flow.

Jeff

Here is 3:30pm est update (2.5 hours after beginning)

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 57
Well so much for accurate records...got to drinking my favorite bourbon watching the snot fly, and plum forgot to record 4:00pm temps, but at 4:52pm est we are 240 at the dome & 227 at the grate. :mrgreen:

Back