MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Well it has begun, first UDS smoke is on. (Pron added)

Well I loaded up my basket with about 10lbs of Sams Choice briqs and 2 good size hunks of hickory from my never ending supply then started 10 or so in the chimney and dumped them in. Well after about 45 minutes it seemed to stall at 175 with the valve wide open and one cap off. So doing what I should have done in the first place I pulled the 3rd cap and bam climbed right up to 250 and I capped 2 back off an closed the valve down to about 1/2. In the mean time I made 2 fatties, 1 Italian stuffed with mozzarella, and 1 roll of Hot JD stuffed with cheddar, and seasoned up a package of chicken thighs. I closed off all of the air while I went to load the grill, temp spike to 310 or so as soon as I shut it. Once it crossed back under 250 I opened the valve back about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way open. So its loaded and is producing decent smoke, I guess in a few hours we'll see how well it tastes.

Thanks to everyone for posting on this site, been doing lots of reading the last few weeks, now its time to put it to good use. Pron to follow.

Last edited by Codeman; 12-13-2009 at 09:11 PM..
Codeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

No pics... maybe it happened, maybe it didn't... but it sounds good anyway!!! Update with pics pleeze!!

Old 12-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

You will generate much more interest if you post pics. I guarantee it...
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Well its dark and I ain't openin' it back up. I do have build pics though hows that? LOL

Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

That'll get us started, but will still need pics of finished grub!!!LOL

Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok here are a few, I thought I had more, could be on my other computer.

Basket per Norco's thread. Weber grate and expanded metal, and a wal mart pizza pan for the ash catcher. I put the legs through it so it all come out together.

I went with the flat lid for now. I have a Weber but the lid won't quite fit so I'll have to come up with an adapter ring of some sort.

That's pretty much it, by the book. Now I just have to find out what it likes. Not sure why but it seems to want a cap off and the valve open right now to stay above 200*. Its chilly and damp though so I'm guessing that could be the prob. Food pron later.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
deguerre

Sweet. Nice build.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
deeque
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

that's one ugly drum. congrats. on the build. oh and welcome to the wonderful world of a drumhead. smoke on Bro.

UDS
WEBER OTG 22.5
deeque is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
landarc

Never ending supply of hickory?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Look Good!!! Keep it up and keep the pron coming!!!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Never ending supply of hickory?
OK maybe a bit of an exaggeration, but I got's plenty.

I remember why I don't cook chicken, I suck at it. Skin is hard and crusty, not even close to edible, still not quite to 160*. Oh and now its misting pretty heavy, gotta love it.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Well its all done and off, drum is still hammering away. Still nee to get it figured out. In all honestly I was not impressed with anything from tonight, flavor just didn't seem to be great Could it have something to do with the Pam and seasoning the drum? I guess the chicken was edible, the wife plowed through a couple of pieces in short order. LOL Oh well the next cook will be better.

On with the pron.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good to me. Just keep practicing. Pam added a funky flavor to the first cook in my drum also, but not to bad, after a few cooks the pam is no longer needed. As far as the tough chicken skin, maybe it was cooked too fast or possibly too hot toward the end of the cook...just my opinion. Those fatties look great!!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
roxikitties7
Full Fledged Farker

looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!
roxikitties7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
Codeman
Knows what a fatty is.

Just went out and shut it down because its trying to rain. Still holding around 220. I did find that it wasn't burning real even in the basket. Funny thing is the unburnt briqs were on the side of the wide open vent?????