MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Default Can someone please explain Webber Kettles to me?

I know what a Webber Kettle looks like, but when I look at them on Amazon they have all kinds of names or codes or what not. Can someone explain them to me, please

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

Default Can someone please explain Webber Kettles to me?

Check there web site, they have pictures too

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

A One Touch Silver is your base line model. No hinged cooking grate and only an aluminum plate to catch the ashes.

A One Touch Gold is the next step up that has a hinged cooking grate that allows the user to add wood chunks or more fule during a cook with out having to take the entire rack out and it also has an enclosed ash catcher that you can turn and take out to dump the ashes in the pan.

A Master Touch is every thing that a Gold Touch is but it includes a thermometer in the lid and a resting bar for the lid to sit in when you need it open.

A Performer is the Master Touch that is mounted into a table top that provides you with a work surface right next to the grill.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Last edited by CarolinaQue; 03-06-2013 at 07:38 PM..
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The names and codes simply refer to color, size and features. I use a 22.5" OTS, which means a 22.5" diameter with the One-Touch Ventilation system on the bottom of the kettle. Silver means I have the basic model, the others have fancier lids and holders etc...

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, that's a wrap.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

You might just check craigslist and see if you can find a good one near by.

As far as the codes go, if it says "there is a newer version of this item. Go to the newer item" above the price, then it is a previous years model (basically the same exact thing). The only one I would definitely make sure is current is the one touch gold (newer model has thermometer) or possibly the performer (new model has a timer, but is also 6 lbs lighter- I wonder where the extra weight came out of). As far as the silver model, it hasn't seen a change other than different handles in over a decade.

I, and most on here prefer the 22 inch size (or 26 if you have a big family/want to feed a crowd). I almost got an 18 inch model, and I'm glad I went with the 22. I was at my brothers place last summer and he had an 18. We did two 3.5 lb butts on his 18 and they fit within a quarter inch and it was a very tight squeeze.

I would recommend one of these:

Performer is the cadillac of kettle grills- light it with propane so you don't get your hands dirty, charcoal storage, work table, the whole shebang. It also comes w thermometer and charcoal baskets. Expensive, but not when compared to the average price on a gas or kamado grill.

The gold model (as well as the performer) comes w/ an ash catcher, good for if you have a deck you don't want ashes falling between the cracks, or if you have grass (if you're using a charcoal that isn't all natural, like kingsford blue, it can slightly hinder your grass growth if the ashes spill). If you have it on concrete, its not quite as big a deal-maybe have a broom handy. The gold model does come with a thermometer as well though.

The silver is the most basic, will still do everything the others will without the extras. If you cook once every week or two, silver is fine. If you're using it a few times a week, I'd spend the extra cash.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 03-06-2013 at 03:07 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I would recommend you go directly to the Weber website http://www.weber.com/home and look under Charcoal and Performer categories. You can mouse over them and you can quickly see the differences from the macro level. You can then go to the compare grills for a detailed side by side listing of the features.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #8
Big M1ke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_gator View Post
Can someone explain them to me, please
They rule! That's all you need to know

Old 03-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke View Post
They rule! That's all you need to know
Exactly, so I want to make sure I get the right one.

I have an 18.5 WSM, and a 22.5 WSM on the way, if Amazon ever ships it, so I am thinking that a third would allow me to smoke meat at three different temps, at one time.

I was thinking that a Webber kettle would be more flexible than a third WSM

Webber 18 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" WSM, Webber 22 1/2" OTG Kettle, Teal Thermapen

You mean Sriricha isn't one of the four basic food groups :?:
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Danny B
Full Fledged Farker

Check out the 26.75 OTG. You will like it.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Check out the 26.75 OTG. You will like it.

I agree with this. If I could convince my wife as to why yet another grill was a smart thing to have, it would be the 26.75.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I'm gonna deviate and say the performer (gas assist model is a must), but the 26 would be a close second.

Besides, two 22 golds (or a 22 gold and a performer) have a good deal more cooking space than one 26 (and can allow you to have two totally seperate setups at once) and cost the same amount of money (and are a lot easier to find on craigslist). You could buy one 22, and if its not enough cook space, just buy another.

Regarding smoking on the kettle- its definitely doable, but much more of a pain in the arse than on the wsm's- you'll be going out to adjust the vents a whole lot more during cooks.

If you don't have a grill though, I'd at least get a smokey joe.

Last edited by Trumpstylz; 03-06-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #13
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

they're at the end of a rainbow. they are also the most versatile BBQ weapon you'll find. i love mine!!!!!!

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Buy at least two or three of each and you'll get it figured out quickly. It works for me and I've never regretted it!!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
K I N G P I N
Full Fledged Farker

I'm gonna deviate and say the performer (gas assist model is a must), but the 26 would be a close second.

I absolutely have to agree with Trumpstylz. I also purchased the rotisserie smoke ring accessory, a must for all you chicken lovers out there.

WEBER SMOKEY MOUNTAIN
WEBER PERFORMER
FOUR SEASONS GASSER
Yellow thermapen
AKA-Crusty DippinTush

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...pinsgasser.jpg
K I N G P I N is offline   Reply With Quote