MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Default Adding a Door to the Mini WSM

Well I did it finally and got up the nerve to cut a big ole hole in my tamale pot to hang the door that I got off a display Brinkmann smoker for free. Used my Dremel with the reinforced cutting wheel to do the majority of the straight cuts and used the round sanding attachment to notch out the corners. The sanding attachment was the perfect size that matched the curve of the cardboard I used to get the cut pattern onto the pot. I'm lucky that I have a Brinkmann electric smoker that has the same door so I was able to use that for the pattern of the door hole and the screw holes.

The curve of the door wasn't enough so I had to do some hand bending there but it was really easy since it's aluminum and everything mated up pretty awesome. I have a pretty tight fit but I'm yet to see if I get any smoke loss through the door. If so I am going to be back here posting something up about how to seal the door. Maybe there is a product that has a sticky side that is heat resistant that I could use if it does leak.

I am excited though, it is definitely nice to not have to pull everything off the top rack to get at the bottom rack if you need to, and I am pretty sure you could pull out a pretty big boston butt out the door hole too. The bottom of the door is RIGHT at being level with the bottom rack which is really nice. I didn't really plan that, but lucky it worked out to be like that. I think it makes the little smoker look a lot more factory made too, which kinda fits me since I am so damn OCD! LOL.

Anywho, I got some Rustoleum Caliper paint out of the automotive section at Walmart. Anyone ever used this stuff? Didn't know if I needed to add a primer coat to the pot or not since it is aluminum and this paint is usually put on vehicle calipers which are steel. I wanna get a really slick coat that is almost as good at the lid and base, but I know that probably won't happen. I'd like to get real close though!

Here's the pictures though -

Also got me a new toy for the mini. It's a rib rack which will be super nice since I usually had only enough space for one whole slab that I cut in half. Now I can get a good many more half slabs on there.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Good job on that door mod!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

That's really great work. It looks factory made. Awesome mod.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great! Not sure why though, is it big enough to add/remove food from the lower grate? I guess for chix pieces or ABT's or something it would work great, and I guess it wouldn't let all the heat out of the dome.
Does it seal properly? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just dubious of "Mods for mods sake", but this one does look like it could be a valuable addition as long as it doesn't compromise the temperature control.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdboatbum View Post
Looks great! Not sure why though, is it big enough to add/remove food from the lower grate? I guess for chix pieces or ABT's or something it would work great, and I guess it wouldn't let all the heat out of the dome.
Does it seal properly? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just dubious of "Mods for mods sake", but this one does look like it could be a valuable addition as long as it doesn't compromise the temperature control.
I'm pretty sure I could get out a brisket flat or point pretty easy since they are thin one way. Just turn it up on it's edge and pull it out. I am 90% sure I could get the last butt I smoked out of there too, and it was about a 5 pounder. It wasn't what I'd call narrow, but it was definitely cut where it seems it would've fit through the door. I just hate pulling off the top grate to get at the bottom meat whenever I need to and this seemed the best option given I got the door for free and had all the tools and hardware already.

And I haven't smoked on it yet, but I don't imagine it will affect temperature all that much, and it seems to be sealing pretty well. If not, I am going to try and find some kind of stick on sealing material that can take the heat. I don't know if there is an oven type thing that is like that, but I guess I'll be finding out if I need something like that next time I use it. Hoping it doesn't though and proves this mod to be a good thing for sure. Also gotta test how it affects the thermometer readings, although if it seals properly I don't imagine it would make one bit of difference.

BTW, the rib rack picture it looks like the door isn't sealing at all. That was before I did the bending. It sits flush now.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very interested to hear whether your mini will hold temps after this mod. Thanks for taking one for the team to find out.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

I'm with Tish. Wonder how well it holds temps up with the new door. Also the door does seem on the smallish side to get a bone in pork butt out. Plus it looks like it would burn your wrist if you try to put your hand in it to remove anything.

Definitely let us know how it turns out for you though. I am very interested to see if it makes life easier for you!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Nice handiwork!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Oh yeah! She's all painted and put back together!

Mom found this for me on Craigslist! Marshmallow roasting is gonna be on soon.

Got a Boston Butt and a Pastrami on right now that will finish up late tonight, let's hope that it holds heat and can maintain as well as it did before. It did take a bit longer to hit 225 than I remember.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Smoker

First off great job on your build!! I was wondering if you did put a coat of primer on 1st or did you just paint it black with a couple of coats as it really looks nice, and matches well. Also was wondering where you picked up your rib rack? Wanting to build a small smoker as well just not sure how to go about it yet

Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Johnny Ca$h
Full Fledged Farker

well done looks great

Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
First off great job on your build!! I was wondering if you did put a coat of primer on 1st or did you just paint it black with a couple of coats as it really looks nice, and matches well. Also was wondering where you picked up your rib rack? Wanting to build a small smoker as well just not sure how to go about it yet

Todd
I spent a WHOLE lot of time sanding with a really fine grit sanding block, and before I sprayed it I sanded the entire pot in the same directions, going from side to side and no up and down that way all the little sanding grooves would be the same directions and not be swirly. I don't know if that really helped get it smooth in the end, but it couldn't hurt.

I didn't prime anything because the paint I used didn't call for it, I just cleaned it up really well with some of the Rustoleum Grease and Wax Remover that I got from Autozone too. The paint I used was Rustoleum Caliper paint from Autozone and it did the entire pot in one can even though I purchased two. It's a bit pricey at about $8 a can, but I have used the red version before and the finish came out great on my Z's calipers and it's rated for 900 degrees too, so no way the heat is going to hurt it.

Another good tip is to always end your passes on the bottom of the pot and not on the sides. I hate it when paint has that dull look in certain spots from that little bit of overspray on the freshly painted areas. Ruins that smooth finish.

And I got the rib rack from Home Depot I think. It fits the mini WSM like a glove. I haven't used it yet but it looks promising. It's really thick metal round bar so don't have to worry about it rusting away or wearing out anytime soon.

Good luck if you build a mini WSM though, I love love love mine. And it fit my budget easily.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #13
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for your reply and advice as well greatly appreciated. Looking forward to building one as well. Might need some input once I start if you dont mind.

Thanks,
Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #14
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I'll be glad to offer any tips I can but I am no expert that's for sure. So many guys on here though that have built them that I have no doubt this place could get it answered. Lots of knowledgeable people.

That said I need some help here. It seemed to run through fuel a lot faster than it did. Would that be signs of a leak or draft from the door? And the cause of it taking a while longer to heat?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #15
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Yes.