The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #46
Amigatec
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrewg View Post
This weekend I smoked some shoulder using the Junior, turned out great by the way.

I calibrated the probe on the Junior using boiling water and I'm right on. I also used another digital thermometer, that had also been calibrated using boiling water also.

My problem/question is the probes did not agree at all, about 50 degrees off. They were located in the same place on the smoker. How could this be...both calibrated with boiling water...but don't agree when put in the smoker????
I have noticed the same thing, I place mine within about 1/2" of each other, and show several degrees off. The only one I worry about is the Qmaster, it's the one running the pit.
Homemade Cold Smoker from old IceBox
Cameron Stovetop smoker
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #47
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

You can find a trusted thermometer.
Then calibrate Senior with it at target temp.
I am afraid that you can only find a trusted thermometer from a science lab.
But most popular temp. for low&slow smoking is 225F, you can calibrate it in boiling water at home.
Please note some of you got hi-temp. probe as pit probe. Its max. temp. is 850F. But it is not waterproof. You can not calibrate it in boiling water.
the Meat probe is waterproof. You can calibrate meat probe in boiling water.
then calibrate hi-temp. probe with meat probe.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:56 AM   #48
JKrewg
Got rid of the matchlight.

I did some baked beans this weekend, mostly to try and get the PID settings on the Junior correct and play with temperature. What I found was that if I put the pit probes in a more vertical position the probes were very close in temp to each other. I read on the net that having the probes in a horizontal position will allow them to "absorb" more heat because of the length of the metal probe. Makes sense to me so that's what I'm going with.
JKrewg is offline   Reply With Quote