DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I haven’t made this in a while so I decided it was time. I had a pork butt in the freezer so I started thawing it out on Wednesday. Started my prep work on Saturday by making up a fresh batch on pickled red onion.

Gathered the ingredients for the marinate.

Mixed it together and let it rest while I prepped the pork butt.

Cut most of the fat cap off and then cut it cross-wise on both sides for better marinate penetration.

I then put it in an aluminum pan and poured 1/2 the marinate on one side and then flipped it and poured on the rest.

I put this in the fridge for an overnight rest. Here it is the next day.

I had tried to buy fresh banana leaves at the local Mercado. Unfortunately they were out of the fresh and I had to settle for the frozen.

These are still good but obviously fresh is better. (See why?)

Since I had frozen leaves I knew I couldn’t make my banana leaf package like I normally do so I lined another aluminum pan with them.

I placed the pork butt into the pan and poured all the of marinate that had settled to the bottom over it.

Folded the leaves over it

and covered this with a double layer of foil. I then placed that on my preheated kamado and I’ll check it in approximately 3 1/2 hours.

While it was cooking I made up some Mexican rice,

frijoles negros,

some guacamole.

and some tortillas.

After 3 1/2 hours it was at 201.5 I.T. (Almost there)

After it reached 208 I pulled it out and let it cool for 20 minutes. I then took the foil and the banana leaves off / out and found a beautiful piece of meat.

I transferred it into a big SS bowl to pull it so I could fish out any little pieces of banana leaf that didn’t come out the first time. After I did this I poured the remaining marinate over the meat and stirred it in.

Here is everything plated with a Negra Modelo. (Cochinita on some banana leaf)

And here is the Money!

Muy Beuno!

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful plate of delicious food. Thank you for posting! Does the pork take on any flavor from they grill being foiled the whole time?

Beautiful plate of delicious food. Thank you for posting! Does the pork take on any flavor from they grill being foiled the whole time?
Thank you Decoy. No, it takes on no smoke flavor as it is covered the entire time. Cochinita Pibil means "piglet buried" so this cooking method is trying to emulate burying the pig in the ground wrapped in banana leaves.

Back