MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #61
Mrs. McFrankenboo
On the road to being a farker

I have no idea what you are talking about...what happens at Havasu stays at Havasu

Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #62
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordy View Post
Though I much preferred season one... Any BBQ show should benefit BBQ in general. I think they could work a Friday night challenge in addition to a regular competition they were filming at. OR could incorporate footage of actual contests with an outside iron chef style contest.

Who knows.

Whatever the format is... I think it will help promote BBQ

Nordy

At the risk of taking quite a bit of heat for this, I'll write it none the less:

Nordy, respectfully, I'd like to disagree with you on the point where you said "any BBQ show should benefit BBQ". Mind you, I think BBQ getting air time can be a good thing. I think certain bbq-brethren getting their 15 minutes of fame is great (if they wish to get it this way). Guys like Big Mista and others it helps promote their name and resulting in more business for them (I hope). However, I think certain aspects of season 2 were insulting; insulting to cooks, insulting to competition BBQ, just plain insulting in general. It sounded to me like they were ready to have a seed and/or tobacco spittin' contest any minute, right before having to cook road-kill-surprise. To me, very little of what they were cooking had anything to do with something resembling BBQ at all. It made, IMHO, a mockery of the whole darned thing. While it may have brought on additional membership here, and I guess that's a good thing, I dont think it helped barbecue very much.

I think season 1 DID help competition barbecue, but not season 2.

Mind you, if you want to watch this, I think go for it. I love that some guys got well deserved notoriety. I hope it's helped them. For the others that go forward, I wish them well. But I dont think season 2 helped BBQ.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #63
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
At the risk of taking quite a bit of heat for this, I'll write it none the less:

Nordy, respectfully, I'd like to disagree with you on the point where you said "any BBQ show should benefit BBQ". Mind you, I think BBQ getting air time can be a good thing. I think certain bbq-brethren getting their 15 minutes of fame is great (if they wish to get it this way). Guys like Big Mista and others it helps promote their name and resulting in more business for them (I hope). However, I think certain aspects of season 2 were insulting; insulting to cooks, insulting to competition BBQ, just plain insulting in general. It sounded to me like they were ready to have a seed and/or tobacco spittin' contest any minute, right before having to cook road-kill-surprise. To me, very little of what they were cooking had anything to do with something resembling BBQ at all. It made, IMHO, a mockery of the whole darned thing. While it may have brought on additional membership here, and I guess that's a good thing, I dont think it helped barbecue very much.

I think season 1 DID help competition barbecue, but not season 2.

Mind you, if you want to watch this, I think go for it. I love that some guys got well deserved notoriety. I hope it's helped them. For the others that go forward, I wish them well. But I dont think season 2 helped BBQ.
I understand your points, and agree with some of them on a personal level. I'd love to see the season 1 format return. It was familiar and enjoyable personally.

That being said, I think we would all be better off viewing this as a part of a process. The fact that the show is returning is HUGE. Many people seem to want a homerun. I don't believe that's fair. Competition BBQ is relatively new to television, and has had a relatively small exposure to the general population as well.

John Markus, and some others have done a lot to increase the exposure of something we enjoy and care about. What we've seen in previous years, and in coming years may not be what some would prefer, but it's a step in the right direction and an opportunity to expand the exposure we currently have.

Until I'm given a reason to not support those that are making the effort to expand something we collectively care about, I'll try to be fair in my criticism and judge each product based on merit and not speculation. Nobody stands to benefit if there is nothing in production. If you don't like the Koolaid, don't take a sip.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #64
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. McFrankenboo View Post
Oh Thom, how I love your cryptic messages So does this mean it will be traveling around to competition and follow a few teams at those competitions OR just do their game show format in different locations?

The email was quoted in it's entirety

Sorry I do not have the answer to your question

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #65
motoeric
Babbling Farker

If you slide on down to the ** BBQ Brethren Magazine ** Discussion Area (below Jokes, Special Interests, etc.), you'll see that I just posted a brief (less two page) interview w/ John Markus that will be appearing in issue 8 of Smoke Signals.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #66
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Enlightening, without divulging too much about the potential format. Folks better move quick if they want to be on the show!
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #67
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Eric, thanks and it sure sounds like they're heading back to something more closely associated with Season 1. Jorge, I absolutely appreciate differing opinions and I'll do my personal best to keep my mind open and hopeful that Season 3 wont be what to me Season 2 was...
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #68
Nordy

L.Dogs - I see your point and can't disagree with you much on a personal level. I'd have been hacked if I was on that show and asked to cook frog legs, rattlesnake etc... I guess my point is if there is BBQ on TV, it increases people talking about it, coming to message boards, coming to contests etc.

A "Season 1" type format would be my preference too.

N
Nordy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #69
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I really enjoyed reading the Markus interview. It seems to me they're heading back toward some type of traditional BBQ Competition and away from having Pitmasters cook Frog Legs and Alligator! I'm excited to see it.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #70
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
If you slide on down to the ** BBQ Brethren Magazine ** Discussion Area (below Jokes, Special Interests, etc.), you'll see that I just posted a brief (less two page) interview w/ John Markus that will be appearing in issue 8 of Smoke Signals.

Eric
Thanks Eric...season 3 looks promising in print!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 07:27 PM   #71
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRanch450 View Post
I really enjoyed reading the Markus interview. It seems to me they're heading back toward some type of traditional BBQ Competition and away from having Pitmasters cook Frog Legs and Alligator! I'm excited to see it.
I love me some frog legs & gator tail....

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #72
Market Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I love me some frog legs & gator tail....
I would be down with this format if one had to catch, kill, dress and cook these items.

Pass da hot sauce with the plate SirPorkaLot, please...

Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #73
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Anybody remember the All-Star BBQ Showdown? The first season we traveled to cook-offs but had our own competition among the people on the show. Maybe that will return?
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #74
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Anybody remember the All-Star BBQ Showdown? The first season we traveled to cook-offs but had our own competition among the people on the show. Maybe that will return?
Sure do.
There are many different ways they could take it, I will be watching for sure.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 PM   #75
Scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post

I loved the stew room they had for you guys to watch the judging...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote