chipotle garden - the beginning

• Thread starter Rick's Tropical Delight
  • Start date
R

Rick's Tropical Delight

i started the soil prep for the chipotle garden today.

turn a spade in the raised mounds

g3kbswfv-004.jpg

add a wheelbarrow of compost from the mulch pile

g3kbswfv-015.jpg

dump compost on raised bed and mix in with spade

g3kbswfv-021.jpg

add straw

g3kbswfv-024.jpg

part of the deep root watering system®!

g3kbswfv-044.jpg

it's still too early to plant, but i'm ready! :biggrin:

You mean a jalapeno garden? Kind of hard to smoke em while they are still growing. :biggrin:

You mean a jalapeno garden? Kind of hard to smoke em while they are still growing. :biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol:...I'm picturing a chitload of smokin' jap plants...:twisted:

i planned on surrounding the garden with eggs, and smoking them on the vine :idea:

I hope your peppers turn out okay. The last time I tried growing them they looked kind of funny.

7.jpg

I'm planning to grow my peppers and maters upside down this year to avoid having them look like the above. :biggrin:

I'm not going to use that Tomato Tree or Topsy Turvy. Instead I'll use black 5gal buckets, and grow some herbs on the top of the soil for double use. :cool:

Plus, I can put a smoker under the plants for instant chipotles. :tongue:

Interesting that about thetime you all start your gardens, in Florida, I'm pulling mine up and throwing it in the compost bin. I'll replant next Sept for the winter.

It's a losing battle with the bugs in the summer, and it doesn't take long at all for the bugs to turn a nice pepper plant into an unrecognizable stem sticking up out of the ground.

I'm going to try the upside down tomato in the bucket this fall.

RMR

any questions on the deep root watering system®? or is it obvious

It's either a term you registers long ago, or it's frequently stolen for use on the garden forums I visit.

I use several types: poly-type drip hose with emitters built in and 20' lengths of drilled 1/2" PVC. I've seen a lot of folks use drilled 2-liter soda bottles for a more potable set-up. Many variations on the theme.

What varieties are you planting?

the ® part is a joke. :biggrin:

i bury the plastic pot in the middle of the mound and water by filling the pot with fertilizer enriched water. the holes in the bottom of the pot allow slow, direct watering of the mound from below the roots. i'll also circle a soaker hose around the top of each mound to water slowly from the top.

i'll be planting jalapenos and cayenne most likely. and a couple of tomatoes and some herbs. you can see the horseradish coming up in the first photo

the ® part is a joke.
Figured that. :wink:

I've got a few tomato and bean plants in the ground this year too.

Donnie's Undertaker Coleslaw video has got me motivated to grow a few peppers for some DYI chipotle. Any suggestions on which pepper varieties are best/most popular for chipotle? I'm out of planter space, so I'll probably just do a couple of container plants...

deep root watering system® and surface drip irrigation system® installed :biggrin:

drws-001.jpg

drws-003.jpg

drws-004.jpg

Figured that. :wink:

I've got a few tomato and bean plants in the ground this year too.

Donnie's Undertaker Coleslaw video has got me motivated to grow a few peppers for some DYI chipotle. Any suggestions on which pepper varieties are best/most popular for chipotle? I'm out of planter space, so I'll probably just do a couple of container plants...

that's a nice setup!

i just used regular old jalapeno starts from lowes.

that video is hilarious!

Back