** RESTARTED***Sam's Club BBQ Series/National Championship

Seems to me they should have set KS up with it's own region. From what I saw there was only one contest in KS. It is going to be interesting to see where everyone registers when the window opens on on February 8th.

Nothing up here in the PNW...AGAIN...crap!

Only one contest in KC for possibly the heaviest concentration of teams. They could have had 4 or 5 events w/ KC and Des Moines combined and filled them all. Couple that with the regional Championship being in Fort Worth (8 hr drive) and it leaves me begging the question, how does the KANSAS CITY BS not have a regional qualifier in its own city?

I'll be trying to get into the one in Lenexa, but since I'm in a meeting at 11 Central at registration opening, slim chance I'll make it

And in NYS, with the number of Sams Clubs spread out across the state, they pick the one on Long Island?!?!

Closest on for us is in Pittsburgh - 4 hours. And it conflicts with our local KCBS Contest - Oink....

Pretty cool deal though. If we don't get accepted, it sure will be fun to watch.

This looks like a phenomenal idea. It will definitely be interesting to see where they take it and what they accomplish for bbq. As for KC, that does seem strange but then again this is a Sam's Club BBQ Series and National Championship.

The nearest local event for The Smoke 'N Barrel is in Pittsburgh PA, which is 8 hours away. OUCH!
The Region 5 regional event is a half hour away. Nice!

We're going to register and see what happens.

Great idea... But who divided up the regions????

NC and VA with PA and NY????

Another interesting observation on Texas. Two contests, one in Austin and one in Conroe with the Regional in Ft. Worth. There is exactly one KCBS contest in the Great State of Texas and it will be in it's third year in Bedford, TX over Labor Day. The areas where the contest are being held has absolutly no judge base or, for that matter, KCBS style cooks base. It's all IBCA, Lone Star, etc. But KS is in the region and only has one contest.

Where can one get what the scheduler or advisor is drinking or smoking?

I was going to complain about the regions, but after getting this far into the thread I am just glad to be four hours away from a couple of options.

Another interesting observation on Texas. Two contests, one in Austin and one in Conroe with the Regional in Ft. Worth. There is exactly one KCBS contest in the Great State of Texas and it will be in it's third year in Bedford, TX over Labor Day. The areas where the contest are being held has absolutly no judge base or, for that matter, KCBS style cooks base. It's all IBCA, Lone Star, etc. But KS is in the region and only has one contest.

Where can one get what the scheduler or advisor is drinking or smoking?

I was wondering the same thing, but it could also be driven by Sam's themselves, esp. if they're trying to promote the local store. But can't say I'm thrilled with the thought of the Regional being in an underserved KCBS judging area.....

You have to give Sam's Kudo's for trying, BUT...
I think I'll pass this year. The KC contest is bound to fill fast and be huge.
They should have set up a full regional around KC with the number of teams around here. Heck we have North KC, Lenexa, Great American, Shawnee & let's see who am I missing, oh THE ROYAL => All these contests are over 100 teams. Can any other region claim the same? Not to mention the number of CBJ's in this area.
WOW!!! Good luck to all those competing.

Is now a good time to put up a for rent sign?

I can't help thinking it would have been better to partner up with existing KCBS events rather than running in competition. I guess they are a big sponsor and can do what they want. Doesn't effect my area anyways as they avoided Ohio, but I can see some established comps losing some bigger teams becasue of it.

Is now a good time to put up a for rent sign?

images

Back