pecan wood

I have 4 large pecan trees in my yard so pecan is my go to wood for obvious reasons. It is definitely milder than hickory.

I have tried both. Hickory is without question stronger than hickory. I won't even use hickory because it's too strong.

I have a huge 100 yr old(i think) pecan tree on my property. It's huge. It is kinda self pruning, so a few times a year it provides me with large enough branches to cut into chunks and dry. I love using it, and do find it less strong than hickory.

As a side note, probably the best hamburgers I have ever had came from cooking them over a bed of 100% pecan coals in my firepit. I had burned up a big branch in my firepit, saw the awesome coals, and decided to make good use of them. Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

I currently have 3 stacks of pecan wood and love it. I also have oak and hickory, but after I use those stacks, I'll be using pecan exclusively. It dries well, burns great, smells wonderful and puts out perfect Q.
Everything can be smoked (successfully) with pecan!

Pecan is my wood of choice, assuming I can fine it. Great flavor, slight LIGHTER flavor the hickory.

Everything I know or read about different woods for smoking also make me think the same. Aaron"s the goto guy right now so I figured I'd try to learn as much as I can from him, but his comment threw me for a loop. I thank everybody for their insight. Keep the comments coming in, I'll check back in tomorrow when I get home from work in the morning. Have a great day everyone!

I have no idea what Vision said here as he's been on my ignore list for a while.

And for good reason.

Love using pecan, my problem is it is hard to come by up here in Michigan!

I've used it with pork and beef ribs. If you don't like it, I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

But I don't think that will happen.

I have tried both. Hickory is without question stronger than hickory. I won't even use hickory because it's too strong.
:confused:
Personally I think Hickory is much milder than hickory and I use them both.:wink:

I agree with most comments here and Pecan to me seems milder than Hickory and I am glad to see that it is not just me that thinks the smell of Pecan burning is a religious experience.

Pecan all the way.

Try mixing soaked mesquite and pecan chips to toss on coals for grilling steak or chicken. you'll love the smell and taste. very south texas.

I've only used pecan as chunks in the UDS or Backwoods, but never on the stickburner - I usually burn hickory in there. Pecan is awesome, and to echo what others have stated, I never thought of it as stronger that hickory. There's something about pecan and chicken that just works so well. I'd like to try a whole burn in the offset with pecan, but I don't think it's readily available around here - never really checked though - I guess I should. :thumb:

As I live and breathe with pecans all around me, and live in a hurricane magnet area, I am often well stocked with the stuff. It is amazing. I love it. It is by far my favorite smoking wood.

Chalk another vote up for well managed fires and pecan; it really does seem to be the "all around" champ for most meats.

I know there are numerous varieties of hickory (of which pecan is one) and it could be that some are stronger flavored than others, but I've never "over-smoked" anything when the fire is right, regardless of wood type. Would be interested in other Brother's opinions on various hickories.

I'm a sucker for pecan + cherry on briskets and other beef cuts, pecan + hickory/cherry/apple for most of my pork and poultry.

Love pecan. I disagree with Aaron Franklin - and I'm old enough to be his daddy so I can - pecan is milder than hickory and won't blacken the meat up quite as much as hickory. However, YMMV!

Back