Yard bird on the Stumps w/ Plum wood.

Goose

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
displayimage.php

Nice pic! The drumsticks are my second favorite hunk of bird.

Nice work - I bet it tasted great. Tell me more about plum wood - I've never heard of anyone using to smoke before...

Nice work - I bet it tasted great. Tell me more about plum wood - I've never heard of anyone using to smoke before...

A mild wood- like other fruit woods, sweet smoke but not as much as say a Birch. Lighter than Cherry. It's nice.

If I could get plum the way I can get pecan, it would be all I would ever use. It's has a really nice smell to it and for whatever reason give's meat a darker, redder color. I love the stuff, just can't find it too often. Nice bird too!

Plum wood is more common than you might think. Look for trees with purple leaves like the Japanese plum shown below:

Last edited:
The ornamental plum is the only way I've been able to get it here. Drove home one day and homeowner had cut down an entire tree that had died due to ant infestation. I used it sparingly till it was all gone. Neighbor across the cul de sac has one that is dying from ant infestation. I'm just waiting for them to remove it so I can jump on it. I don't know if it's a local thing, but seems fruit trees here suffer this same malady with sugar ants. They burrow into em and slowly kill off the trees. I don't know how many peach and apricot trees my folks lost cause of this. They now have a nice sized ornamental plum in the front yard, but my dad hasta spray it like crazy to keep the sugar ants away.

Back