• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I Finally got some Prime Rib(pron)

jacob

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Not cooking until tomorrow, but after all the waiting I couldn't hardly wait to take a picture. The Coolest thing is I made a new friend. Pictures are uploading so I will tell you the story first.

I went to Publix and was cruising the meat counter. Didn't see any Prime Rib so I picked up a rack of spares. As I was walking away so unhappy I looked up at a sign that said we will special cut from 5am to 10pm.

I walked over to the Butcher man standing there and asked if he had any Prime Rib. I'll cut you one he said, so I asked how much is it per pound. $ 8.99 told him I would like at least a five pounder. He cuts it and wraps it and it came out to 6 and a quarter pound. Thats OK I said and he stickered it. Like 63 and change.

First thought I'm going to die tonight if the wife sees this sticker. Thats why theres not one.:biggrin: Butcher was asking me how I was going to cook it so I responded by saying low and slow. Opened the door right up and I continued by saying I was going to cut the rib off and tie it back on. I can do that for you he says. You can, Son I've been cutting meat for forty years. He cooks Que and owns turner processing as well. He says let me trim some of this fat off for you. I was going to trim it down before I put it on.:icon_blush: He gives me that stupid look and smiles and says, if I trim it you don't have to pay for the fat.:-D When I got it back he had trimmed over a pound of fat OFF that sucker and price had dropped down to around 53 and change:eek::-D.

Stood there for an hour talking Que and loving every minute. He explained to me how the blood collects around the bone on Boston Butts and shoulders and told me what to do to eliminate that from ever happening.

Before we were through talking he gave me his number told me how to find his processing shop. And said to call him the next time I was going to do Butts. You do me one the way you cook them. I do you one Cajun style like I do them and we will swap and try each others stuff.

I went out tonight feeling a little down but after meeting this man I came home full of excitement. Looking forward to cooking this stuff but more so The butt to swap out with him. It was a awesome conversation, learned stuff about meat that never really knew before.:cool:

And yes I told him all bout us and more.

Got two packs of beef ribs at the pig.

beef001.jpg

I'm not sure how to cook this so I will have to research.

beef003.jpg

beef002.jpg

OK Brothers, If you don't see finished pictures by tomorrow evening some time. That means the wife figured out this wasn't a rump roast and I am now dead.:eek::icon_shy:wink:

Before you know it, both of you are going to be Queing and drinking some nice cold ones and swapping even more stories.

Great story. I know Publix is in Florida, but your location says unknown. I will be in Palm Beach in late April and was going to see if there were any Brethren down that way. Gotta try a prime rib some time sounds so good!!!!!!!!! Been married 23 years, she should be able to get over it!!!!!!!

OK Brothers, If you don't see finished pictures by tomorrow evening some time. That means the wife figured out this wasn't a rump roast and I am now dead.:eek::icon_shy:wink:

Now that's funny.

Looks like you found a great new contact there Jacob. Life is good when it needs to be.

And BTW, you gonna love that rib roast. I'm farking addicted to them, no matter what the price.

If you don't know how to cook it, send it to me, and I promise to cook it and send it back!

Looks like you found a great new contact there Jacob.

Even cooler, I don't hunt so when I get deer it is usually given to me. Rarely. So I ask him if he ever had any processed that does not get picked up. Sure he said. Do you sale it, not allowed to sell it he says, I just let it go for my cost I have tied up in it. Loop hole:biggrin: Makes sausage as well a venison fatty got to do that.

Ok I can't get in to the recipe section , so someone give me a simple tech on cooking this. I don't have a lot of spices on hand and can't spend much more money. So please help me with some knoweledge.

I keep it pretty simple. Coat lightly with olive oil and then rub with crushed garlic, salt and pepper. you can also use Montreal Steak Seasoning. Cook until the internal temp is about 125 - 130. Let it rest for 20 minutes or so before carving.

Here is Phil's recipe...

Grand Poobahs Prime rib
Recipe Number: 103
Contributor: Grand Poobah
Rating: 9.80 based on 6 votes
Rate This Recipe
Review This Recipe Serves: NA
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty:
Print Friendly Version
Recipe Reviews Ingredients:
ok.. heres da secret. measurements are approx. cup teriaki half cup soy sauce half of a small bottle gravy master and half small bottle kitchen bouquet(or you can use a whole bottle of either if ya cant find one or the other). add about 3-4tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning to this mixture and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then pour it all over the roast and rub it in. I also like to pierce the beat with a wide blade fork in several spots to allow the marinade to get in a little bit. If you have a heavy fat cap, add a few slices to that to allow penetration to the meat. Cooking Instructions: For the rub, use a heavy hand of Turbinado Sugar and rub it in well and let sit for about 5 minutes, then rub heavily with montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and around the entire roast. When its covered amd disolviong, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put. let the roast sit for about half hour, covered. First half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 375-400 degrees, maybe a little higher. As oon as i put in the meat, damper down to allow temps to drop slowly to 230-250+. When internal is about 90-100 degrees(or about 40 minutes) move it to your normal cookin spot and cook at about 230-250(as high as 275) till internal is 125.

At this point, either cover it and let it rest, or roll it around over searing coals to make a crust. Bring internal to 130, no higher than 135, then take it off and let it sit, wrapped loosly. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 140s. this will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 120 and grill to 130 then cover and rest. Usually, i roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get. This can also be used on roast beefs, top rounds...... any beef roasts. BTW.... i have seen 2 roasts at costco, one is a Boneless prime rib and the other is a RibEye.... I THINK there is a diffrence even though they are both Prime ribs cuts, one i think is just tribbed. It looked to me like the ribeye is the 'eye' of the cut, the inside section of the roast, the trimmed eye of the roast.... and the prime rib has that highly marbled outside pieces attached to it. The steaks are bigger nad shaped different... ya know those pieces on the outside of the steak that are more well done than the cnter but has the best flavor... thats the stuff....

Dude! What a score. I believe you have found your new favorite butcher. Looking forward to tomorrow's pictures.

Ohhh Jacob, even my wife was drooling over the pic of that prime!
So cool you found someone that shares your hobby and passion. Reckon you'll be seeing WAY more of him.

What a score. Ibelieve you have found your new favorite butcher

Usually can't get them to slow down enough to talk. But as I am learning mention Que and that gets some folks attention. If I hadn't been set on my Rib Roast I would never had spoke to this guy. So I discovered that I also need to slow down a little and take more time to talk to folks. To think if I had just walked out with the spares this meeting would not have happened. Maybe never.:cool:

Looks like a great score. Being friends with a butcher is not a bad thing if you are in to BBQing. Just remember what forest Gump said about the box of Chocolates:lol: Enjoy that Prime Bro:cool::icon_bigsmil

Wher's the cooking pron? Do you have to cook on top of the hill since you moved the Klose??

Wher's the cooking pron? Do you have to cook on top of the hill since you moved the Klose??

Having actually moved it yet. I got til June to get er done.:biggrin: It's going to storm here in a little while. I started to fire up the electric on the porch. But I decided that it If get the Klose to temp before the rain It will hold and I'm the only thing that is going to get wet.

So I am headed out to heat her up, pushing the wife to go to the store for me and pick up some missing ingredients I need to pull it off.

It Begins

Got the Pit up past temp so I could load the meat and she is now riding along in the 250 range m/l a little.

Here is the start of what will be a wonderful day!!( no pager for once):eek:

OMG I love FIRE!!!

beef007.jpg

Always a snack to have while cooking.
beef006.jpg

Beef ribs in a natural state. For the Wife so she ask no questions.:biggrin:
beef005.jpg

And here is my Baby on a shelf all by her self away from the firebox. Didn't want to bring the internal temp up too fast. LOW and SLOW. Made up a rub with what I had on hand. You'd be surprised by what you find when you start looking.
beef004.jpg

Looking really good so far. My mouth is starting to water from here.

I left the rib bones tied on to start but at some point I know I need to cut them loose to finish off. ust don't know when exactly I should do this. Can some one tell me when the best time is to separate them?

Back