120 Gallon Compressor Tank,Trailer Mounted, Offset Smoker Build - by Huntin Smoke & Pappy (pics) UPDATED

A friend of mine built a smoker with that same size tank. It's really the perfect all-around size for capacity/efficiency. He only had the one grate level, but it would cook right at 100 pounds of butts! Nice job y'all are doing as well! :thumb:

Man that is gonna be a nice cooker. You are O so close!!!!!!!!

We have all of the steel for the insulated fire box. I think it's going to be the hardest part to build. We have a long ways to go.

Fire box with air vents & door, 4 cooking grates, tuning plates, chimney cap, fire grate, ash pan, drain valve, shelf, sandblast, paint, change axle location and level trailer, re-wire lights, change reciever head to 2".

If matheny would have brought in motte to get 4 outs last night, his game management would have looked as good as your build.
nice work.
go cards!

?Maybe a second axle?

Great job/Looking good. I love fab'in steel.

The axle will be moved further back. It's rated for 2000 pounds. Right now the axle is over the spring. We are going to change it to be under the spring. That will raise the rear of the trailer 3-4 inches. We may add a 1-2 inches more for more leveling adjustment on unlevel ground.

?Maybe a second axle?

Great job/Looking good. I love fab'in steel.

The trailer isn't long enough for a second axle and we are trying to keep it budget friendly. A secod axle would really add to the budget not to mention new springs and hardware to go with it.

I ordered our intake dampers for the fire box tonight. We will have two 7" dampers.

140.jpg

I saw them on Ebay in a 5" and I sent him a message and he is going to make them for me in 7" so we can meet the intake requirements for our pit. The will be laser cut from 1/8" steel plate. We aren't close to starting the fire box yet but I would rather have them in advance for when the time comes.

Updated 10-21-12

Put trailer up on jack stands & leveled sideways & front to back. Took the tires off the axle so the axle could be removed. Cut the axle saddles off the axle an welded new ones on the othe side. Re-installed the axle under the spring instead of over the spring. We picked up about 4" in the height on the trailer.
IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

Made the cap for the chimney with a adjustable handle. Leading edge of cap has a extension to help keep it dry in the rain and in the closed position while driving down the road.
IMG_4151.jpg

IMG_4153.jpg

IMG_4154.jpg

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4156.jpg

Cut and installed the bottom grate angles. We are going to have a second set of grates 7" above the bottom grates.
IMG_4157.jpg

It felt like we got alot done this weekend since we worked for 5 hours on the smoker, but when you look at the pictures it doesn't seem like much. Maybe next weekend we can get more done and feel like we are getting closer to be ready to fire it up.

Back