How do you make a pecan rub?

Ask it real nicely?

rim-shot-johnny-utah.thumbnail.jpg

applause.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist the set up.

I actually do not know and am curious to find out myself. So I will be reading with great interest.

one of our brethern makes a pecan rub. maybe he would shed some lite, but maybe not. maybe finely chop and dehydrate then crush into powder. i really dont know. i will be watching this thread as well

I always assumed the pieces in SM rub were ground pieces of pecan and dehydrated apple for those two rubs. But now that I think about it, the pecan rub does not have dark tones from the pecan skin like typical ground pecan. Good stuff however it is done.

I bought some from Cabelas once but didn't care for the texture. It was a honey /pecan. My daughters boy friend loved it on chicken so I gave it to him.

Here's one recipe I found when I was looking for ideas for the venison ~ personally, I find it easier just to buy it from Steph!

jlloyd99 said:
This recipe was actually intended as a breading for venison cutlets but I modified it a bit and used it as a rub on my deer roast this weekend. It turned out wonderful and adds a nice nutty flavor to the meat.

Roasted Pecan Rub
2 cups of pecans, roasted and then chopped fine
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 Tbls. of your favorite spice blend (I used my normal rub blend but here is your chance to be creative!)

Lay the pecans out on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven on 350 for about 15 min. Let cool and place in a food processor, chop very fine. Combine with remaining ingredients. I use mustard slathered on the meat to hold the rub on. As this makes a big batch you can freeze what you don't use or store in an airtight container.

Here is a pecan rub recipe for pig candy.

mix
1/2 cup pecan meal
1/4 granulated maple sugar

Apply to bacon and smoke until crispy.

You could also add the pecan meal to your favorite rub recipe.

Back