• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dylan Taylor BBQ Class - Austin

Rockinar

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just signed up for Dylan Taylor's BBQ class. I waiting to hear back to confirm the date.

Anyone around Texas should look into it. All the instruction classes I looked into seem to be geared at teaching competition BBQ which I'm not really interested in. Dylan is not a competition guy. He was pitmaster at LaBarbecue and Truth BBQ (two of Texas' top 10) for a couple years, and worked a bit at some other notables such as Terry Blacks, Bodacious in Longview, and 2M Smokehouse in San Antonio, and that's what he teaches. Central Texas BBQ. This is not a "class" per say, where you sit at a desk and listen to someone preach from what I gather. it's one-on-one instruction in his backyard in Austin.

Instruction is not "all meats". It's priced "per meat". So if you just want him to show you just how he does brisket or just ribs, you can do that. Price is reasonable considering you get to hang out and pick the brain of someone who has worked in the trenches of the central Texas BBQ scene for a couple years.

https://austin.eater.com/2018/4/10/17218416/dylan-taylor-bbq-texas-barbecue-smokehouse

https://www.taylorbbqcatering.com

At first i was like...meh
Then i read about the one on one with Dylan. Cool dude. I spoke to him and another guy at LA BBQ years ago. Spent more time with them than i did in line to get food. It felt like i just bull chitting with my friends in the back yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

La Barbeque is the best BBQ joint I've eaten at. Fantastic food!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Price is $500 for the first meat, $350 each additional. I chose brisket/ribs. I dont know if the price changes if you chose say something more simple like turkey/ribs instead.

The responses via email will be slow. Expect 3-4 days for a reply.

Dates avalible are mostly Mondays and tuesdays. He does catering and works at 2M I think on weekends.

My date is set for this Tuesday, the 26th.

I'll post feedback.

Last edited:
Does this cover the whole cook?

I was told it's 12 hours. 9AM-9PM. Obviously cant cook and rest a brisket in that time. So I dunno. I'll see Tuesday...
Depends on cook temp. He did seem pretty stuck on 250 though. I'm intrigued.

Take a trip to Atlanta GA area. Southern Thunder BBQ school. Many different meats, a whole lot less price.

So if you could spend at day at Ace Frehley's house picking his brain and playing guitar for $1,000, you would ditch it to go take a guitar lesson at Guitar Center because it's cheaper?

To each his own, If my briskets came out any better from what I learned my friends and family could not take it. I have been to TX many times and I will stick with mine.

To each his own, If my briskets came out any better from what I learned my friends and family could not take it. I have been to TX many times and I will stick with mine.

Have you eaten at La Barbecue or Franklin's? If so, what is it about your briskets that you prefer over theirs?

I'm going to try to remember (I'm sure I will forget) to ask him about the pickle juice on the brisket. I remember there was some questions on here about that after John Lewis mentioned it in interview..

Have you eaten at La Barbecue or Franklin's? If so, what is it about your briskets that you prefer over theirs?

I would just ignore him. The dude told me I should skip a meeting with someone who's worked in Texas' top BBQ joints to go take a generic "BBQ school" with some unknown guys in Georgia teaching comp BBQ. Then thumbed his nose at Texas BBQ and said his was better. :thumb: LOL

I would highly question any of his judgement or opinion after that. "Better" is debatable, highly subjective and in the end just a personal opinion. Maybe to him and his family, his is better. But people fly from all over the world to eat central Texas BBQ. And every new BBQ joint from New York City to South Korea is trying to emulate central Texas BBQ. Not competition BBQ, not Memphis BBQ, not Kansas City BBQ, not South Carolina BBQ, not Georgia BBQ. That's fact.

I would just ignore him. The dude told me I should skip a meeting with someone who's worked in Texas' top BBQ joints to go take a generic "BBQ school" with some unknown guys in Georgia teaching comp BBQ. Then thumbed his nose at Texas BBQ and said his was better. :thumb: LOL

I would highly question any of his judgement or opinion after that. "Better" is debatable, highly subjective and in the end just a personal opinion. Maybe to him and his family, his is better. But people fly from all over the world to eat central Texas BBQ. And every new BBQ joint from New York City to South Korea is trying to emulate central Texas BBQ. Not competition BBQ, not Memphis BBQ, not Kansas City BBQ, not South Carolina BBQ, not Georgia BBQ. That's fact.
Oh I'm with you. I've eaten at both and they set a new standard for brisket for me. Nothing I had ever eaten before had ever come close to what I tasted at both. And I'm on a mission to recreate that in my own home, however difficult that may be. So if I thought I could achieve that or at least get on the right path towards achieving that, the cost of Dylan's class would be worth it to me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back