MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Default How Many Jambo Backyard Owners Are Out There?

I keep coming back to this offset as a lot of bang for the buck. I could theoretically buy it and a nice cabinet and still come out pretty darn good all-in.
Would love to hear from anyone who has one or who has cooked on one - what do you think? Build quality? Performance? It looks like a beautiful pit. I talked to Jamie a few weeks ago and he said he uses steel that is slightly thinner than the typical 1/4". I believe he said 3/16". Said it makes no difference whatsoever thanks to the insulated firebox. Opinions from the peanut gallery on that? I could get that thing shipped to SC and still be $2500 or less all-in. That's $1k or more less than comparable offsets by Gator, Klose or JJ that I've looked at.

Thoughts?

Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
btcg
Babbling Farker

Boshizzle has one. Maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
AUBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I’ve had my backyard for about 6 weeks and I really like it. Build quality is great, very easy to control temps and the insulated fire box makes a huge difference. I shopped around and done my homework before I bought a stick burner and I think Jamie offers a great pit for the $$. His customer service is also worth mentioning. He quoted me 3 weeks build time and called me exactly 3 weeks to the day and said my pit was ready. He also called me back after several weeks and asked me how I liked my pit and if I had any questions\concerns. Great customer service!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

The backyard Jambo has about 23"x48" of cook area. It's well made and works as advertised. I have no complaints with mine. It's very fuel efficient and holds temps well even in cold weather and in rain.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Guys - thanks for your feedback. Jamie has been excellent to deal with and I have no doubt everything you say is true. I'll let you know what I do and be sure to post photos!

Old 07-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
Libertarian
Full Fledged Farker

Curious if y'all have any issues with the fixed damper - I've heard you can't adjust it. I assume Jamie does this because he's got it tuned just the way he wants it. Will this thing ride at 225 of does it prefer a little higher temp? I'm wondering how low you could get it to run...out of curiosity.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Jambo Economy model and Enclosed model on order. Obviously I think a Jambo is the best smoker made. I've yet to meet anyone who has one be dissatisfied.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
ATXBBQ
Got Wood.

Both dampers are adjustable, one just requires a wrench. I've seen it cook hot and low, both with great results. Great bang for the buck.
ATXBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

$1900.00 beats klose & Gator for a 24x48....I have been around the block looking at ALL smokers....Although I'm holding out for a used Klose if another Jambo comes for sale like was advertised here just a month ago....I'm all over it.....PLUS even though Johnny Trigg is a novice....if it's good enough for him................JMHO......

Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

just an fyi- i think lang 48 inch patio is the same size and the same price range.
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

I'd also check out yoder (you probably cant go wrong with jambo, i just thought i'd throw out other options in that price range).
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
just an fyi- i think lang 48 inch patio is the same size and the same price range.
I looked at Lang first, but when I couldn't get an email answered or photos of hybrids after they were promised by the President to be sent to me I lost interest. Since then I decided I like more traditional offset than a reverse flow. People do seem to love their Lang's for the most part......

Old 07-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Florida Farmer
Knows what a fatty is.

I have owned a baby Jambo before and it was a great cooker. One of the most even grate temps from one end to the other that I have ever seen. I also own and compete on several different Lang models so I ended up useing the baby Jambo about 5 times in about 2 years. Another competitor finally talked me into selling it to him....I have really regreted ever selling it even though I didn't use it near enough. In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either the baby Jambo or a Lang 48.
Florida Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker

Does the Jambo just have one level of cooking grates?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
sbramm
is one Smokin' Farker

the jambo backyard would be my stick burner of choice. still love my $80 drum though......