MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Things Learned.....

Just thought I'd start a thread that those that are new to competition BBQ could check out to speed up their learning curve a bit with out giving away secret techniques or recipes.

I'll start by saying after this weekend that I learned and was reminded the hard way that you need to stay flexible with the weather. Holding your turn in meat in a cambro or dry cooler may not be the correct approach when it's pushing 100* ambiant air temp. Alternating start times may be necessary to over come this challenge.

Any one else care to share a few tidbits of advice?
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. If you're depending on power, the odds are great that you'll lose power for about an hour at the one time when you needed it most. Print lists (in LARGE type so you can read them at 3am when everything is blurry) vs. leaving them on your computer. Computers break. Networks go down. Batteries fail.

Have alternatives / extras. If you have all your sauce in 1 container, that will be the container that the squirrel finds most desirable at 2am when you aren't looking. If possible, have 2 of everything.

PLAN PLAN PLAN, and in that plan have sleep time scheduled. Even a 2 hour nap is better than nothing when you're trying to carefully slice barbecue and not cut your finger off...

Bring lots of crisp $20 bills; judges like them. <JOKE>
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

$20??? That's all it takes down there in Georgia???!!!

Good advice LD!!!
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

30 minutes is the difference between 40th and 1st.
Never underestimate the smallest detail.
Trust your gut.
Temperature control fans are not set-it-and-forget-it. Neither are pellet cookers. Practice. After you cooked a truck load of meat, cook another one.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks, as a new competitor, all help and advice is appreciated.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
Bigmista

Err on the side of caution where time is concerned. Better to be finished early and have to hold your meat than to try to rush it and end up turning in undercooked meat. A long rest won't kill you and sometimes it helps!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Trust your gut.
No doubt.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
chambersuac

Hey Bigmista, if you really wanna help, send me some of your sauce :)

See...I even said your name! ;)

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

I see this a LOT, particularly on the 2nd trip: Don't over-think it. Dont try to guess what judges like or dont like. Cook what you cook well. Mind you, pay attention to details, but dont keep 2nd guessing yourself and changing things. Do what you know; do what you've practiced. Make adjustments at home, not in the competition.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

If Podge comes by befor turnins & is mad at himself cause he overcooked his brisket. Don't get nervous & undercook yours. Cause He'll pull a top five and.......I....well mine sucked & got 20th.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Sawdustguy

Stay away from the booze if you plan to compete. We have an ex member of my team that had to learn this the hard way. If you are going to cook, cook, if you are going to drink, don't cook.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

do not, i repeat, do not, try and buck the horse.

no mater how good you think your mustard sauce is, or your vinegar sauce, or how tasty your wings are or whatever, DON'T DO IT.

you might hit a table that likes it OK, but ya ain't gonna win, and ya ain't gonna get consistent scores. other than somewhat low.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Stay away from the booze if you plan to compete. We have an ex member of my team that had to learn this the hard way. If you are going to cook, cook, if you are going to drink, don't cook.
you've obviously never seen the Habitual Smokers Road Show or Andy's one eyed chicken..........

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
riblette
On the road to being a farker

Practice timing. For at least a cook or two simulate the entire process using real turn-in times. While you're at, practice in "field conditions" as well. prepare, and cook everything without going back in to the house our garage or whatever to retrieve or prep anything. We even set up the EZ-UPs in the back yard and do everything the same as if it were a comp.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #15
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
you've obviously never seen the Habitual Smokers Road Show or Andy's one eyed chicken..........
Or Fowl Butt Bbq. But if ya watch real close I'm in the background laughing with my teamates..........but not drinking. We as a whole are the biggest bunch of boozers in the country. It all depends What your going for! If you want to be consitant & be serious about winning then somebody needs to stay sober. If not have at it! I've done it both ways and both ways are equally fun. I only know of one 'Extreamly' good team that parties all night n still kicks a$$.