MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #61
lstoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Landen

Using it for the first time today. Disappointing to see that the alarm setting is useless. If you set a temp alarm for your meat, it won't go off on your iPhone unless it is unlocked. Once your phone goes to sleep you are SOL.

That won't work for me.
lstoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #62
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstoker View Post
Using it for the first time today. Disappointing to see that the alarm setting is useless. If you set a temp alarm for your meat, it won't go off on your iPhone unless it is unlocked. Once your phone goes to sleep you are SOL.

That won't work for me.
I don’t think that’s true but I will check.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #63
lstoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
I don’t think that’s true but I will check.
Let me know if you can figure it out. I've searched high and low and found others complaining about it. I tried it a couple times and the only time the temp set point alarm was ever audible was when my phone was unlocked.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #64
Phaddie
On the road to being a farker

I hope this is not the case.
Phaddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2020, 11:51 PM   #65
Happy Hapgood

Seems to be that way. If your sleeping you could unlock your phone for one cook though. Also, I can't find any other WiFi therms that can. Not really seeing a problem. I'm normally charging at night anyway.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 10-26-2020 at 12:00 AM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-26-2020, 07:24 AM   #66
19kilo
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Brian

Is this code still available?
I would really like to give this a try, thanks Brian
19kilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #67
lstoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Seems to be that way. If your sleeping you could unlock your phone for one cook though. Also, I can't find any other WiFi therms that can. Not really seeing a problem. I'm normally charging at night anyway.
I suspect many of us have the issue now that you can't just unlock your phone and keep it that way. Since mine is a work issued phone it has security certificates on it that require it to lock after the screen times out.

To me it is a large problem, you set a temperature set point alarm for a reason. So it goes off and alerts you to go pull the meat or check on it. I might be prepping something else, I might be just relaxing. Either way, I'm not going to constantly stare at my phone to make it work. That defeats the purpose of technology. Poor implementation of the app in my opinion.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #68
barrettd

I tried using the Inkbird this past weekend on a brisket cook, but found a few things lacking. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see a way to set alerts, for example, at certain temps. I also found the graph data didn't populate unless I clicked on the button that says something like "change data source" (my inkbird isn't on, so the app doesn't show it).

I did like the hardware of the unit, including the color coded probes, the seemingly watertight fittings on the probe apertures, the backlight on the large screen.

The app is not good. I ended up going back to my Fireboard for the brisket cook, and was reminded of how good the Fireboard app is.

Overall, if you have a Fireboard, you already have, what I believe to be, the best unit out there. I haven't tried the new Thermoworks devices (I own the Smoke and the wifi gateway, it's not good), because they're so expensive and the Fireboard works great.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:51 AM   #69
lstoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
I tried using the Inkbird this past weekend on a brisket cook, but found a few things lacking. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't see a way to set alerts, for example, at certain temps. I also found the graph data didn't populate unless I clicked on the button that says something like "change data source" (my inkbird isn't on, so the app doesn't show it).

I did like the hardware of the unit, including the color coded probes, the seemingly watertight fittings on the probe apertures, the backlight on the large screen.

The app is not good. I ended up going back to my Fireboard for the brisket cook, and was reminded of how good the Fireboard app is.

Overall, if you have a Fireboard, you already have, what I believe to be, the best unit out there. I haven't tried the new Thermoworks devices (I own the Smoke and the wifi gateway, it's not good), because they're so expensive and the Fireboard works great.
Completely agree with your assessment. I'll be sticking with my CyberQ or picking up a Fireboard to try out

Old 10-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #70
barrettd

Quote:
Completely agree with your assessment. I'll be sticking with my CyberQ or picking up a Fireboard to try out
I have no experience with CyberQ, but I can say the Fireboard will not disappoint you.

Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #71
Southland
Got Wood.

If codes are still available, would like to try the Ink Bird.
Southland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #72
jeremu
Knows what a fatty is.

@Happy Hapgood - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS REVIEW. I bought one after reading this review! I've been wanting a WI-FI thermometer probe for soooooooo long. This thing is rad! I can go to any room in the house ... OR EVEN TO THE STORE. I've always been worried my cook would go out of control and couldn't tell someone to shut down the cook if I forgot something from the store.

I'm having my first cook with it today, tri-tip. I'll post a thread with the results. THANK YOU!

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #73
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettd View Post

I certainly see your point but look at the price differences. The Ink Bird @ $100, with code Kenink is offering for $50. How much is a Fireboard?

On edit I'm seeing the cheapest Fire Board @ $189 from their website.

Last edited by Happy Hapgood; 10-28-2020 at 12:15 AM..

Old 10-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #74
jeremu
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremu View Post
... I'm having my first cook with it today, tri-tip. I'll post a thread with the results.
As promised Mind if I share the most tender tri-tip I've smoked yet?

Old 10-28-2020, 12:31 AM   #75
Happy Hapgood

Quote:
I suspect many of us have the issue now that you can't just unlock your phone and keep it that way. Since mine is a work issued phone it has security certificates on it that require it to lock after the screen times out.

To me it is a large problem, you set a temperature set point alarm for a reason. So it goes off and alerts you to go pull the meat or check on it. I might be prepping something else, I might be just relaxing. Either way, I'm not going to constantly stare at my phone to make it work. That defeats the purpose of technology. Poor implementation of the app in my opinion.

You can unlock your iPhone. Just for a night or day while your smokin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwLJvYwzLjk

Like I say, not seeing a problem.