MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default **Charcos Coconut Shell Briquettes Test Cook #2- Backwoods Gater**

Submitted for your approval: This is the second cook using a mere 10 lbs. of Charcos Coconut Shell Briquettes. The first test cook can be seen in this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ell+Briquettes

So I started out with 6 lbs of Charcos stacked neatly end to end in the charcoal tray of the BWS Gater, it covered a little over half the tray, and fired it off in the left rear corner and BBQ Guru powered it through the cook at 250* with a dry waterpan foiled over.

Added some Cherry chunks

Superior Farms Beef back ribs and Prairie Fresh Spares trimmed to St. Louis cuts.

** For eatin' -not competin'!!*

Beef Ribs top rack done in 2.5 hours

St. Louis Spares and rib tips on 2nd rack done in 3.5 hours no foil.

Shut the BWS down and here is how the charcoal burn looks. These burn Flameless!

Next day I sift the briqs and shovel the ashes and see how much Charcos was used in this controlled cook.

Weighed the remainder of the usable Charcos and have 3 lbs. leftover.

This is how much dust was left in the 10 lb. package of Charcos.

Two cooks starting with just 10 lbs. (half box) and there is still more cooking to be done! Stay tuned......

**Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Charcos, and I am not a Blogger that was given this product to review. I paid for it and the results posted are not scientific of professionally photographed.**

just sayin'!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
BobM
Babbling Farker

Very nice!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
NickyG
On the road to being a farker

Did you notice any difference in taste?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyG View Post
Did you notice any difference in taste?
None that I could tell.
The Naked Whiz review says they have "the sweet smell of coconut charcoal",
since I've never experienced that I have nothing to go by.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag96.htm

Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Phubar

Cool you're posting these reviews Swamp!
Seems like those Charcos handle exact the same as the Ecobrasa.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phubar View Post
Cool you're posting these reviews Swamp!
Seems like those Charcos handle exact the same as the Ecobrasa.
Next time, I'll just dump them in the tray and not arrange them end to end.

The big test will be on a Drum Smoker cooking direct.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
gtr

I've got a box and used 'em a couple times and was impressed with the results. I actually forgot I had 'em. I need to get those and the WGA out and channel my inner Phu.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

Where are you getting these?
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
Where are you getting these?
A few of us in PNWBALand went in on a pallet group buy in.

I bought a 6 lb box during the holidaze from Amazon.