Need Advice: 3 lb brisket

frankie482

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 3lb brisket that I want to cook in my BGE to use for brisket chili.

It is local beef that was given to me by a friend who buys 1/4 side of beef each year.

It appears to be a packer cut in half and is a little of the flat but mostly point meat.

I've only done HH brisket on the WSM in the past.

Should I go low and slow or direct HH?

I do not plan on foiling.

How long approximately for each method?

THANKS!!

I would go with the method you are familiar with using to cook whole packers. Congrats by the way, the point is the best part.

First off you are going to loose at least 30% of it's weight when you barbecue it, and there will also be some fat trimming involved as well.

Since it's for chili, and it will make some dang fine chili meat by the way, I'd eliminate the barbecue and just trim it and do a coarse grind (or hand dice) on it. Then break out the dutch oven and get down to business. You could always put the assembled chili on your smoker to pick up some wood flavor.

smoke till 160 internal then chop and put in chili to finish. it will tender up in while the chili is boiling and will still have great smoke flavor. that way it never has a chance to dry out

My mouth (typing) got ahead of my brain again. The brisket is actually 4lbs, so I was thinking as I typed 3lbs because I think I might get that much usuable meat after cooking.

Thanks for the replies.

I will do my best to update this as I go.

I am also planning on cooking the brisket tomorrow, refrigerating whole, and the cubing and defatting for the finished chili on Monday.

I really want to get a good crust and smoke on the meat to add flavor tom the chili. I always over think everything. It is gonna be good either way.:-D

If I decide to pull before it before it is completely done and finish cooking the meat in the chili, what temp should I pull it.

Here is a tiny brisket flat I cooked HnF at about 300F-325F. I foiled after almost 2 hours (I went by color) and let it cook until it probed tender and let it rest in a cooler for about an hour.

picture.php

Good luck.

DSC_0092.jpg
DSC_0094.jpg

Cooked at 325-350 for about 3 hours then foiled and cooke about 2 more hours until thermapen slid in nice and easy.

About 205-210 internal.

Back