MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Who should win the "Brisket" Throwdown?
BFoster 6 4.32%
bowhnter 2 1.44%
Crue-B-Cue 9 6.47%
Diva Q 50 35.97%
gpalasz 30 21.58%
HoosierTrooper 1 0.72%
Kosmo's Q 21 15.11%
roastntoast 1 0.72%
smokerdude 7 5.04%
thenewguy 2 1.44%
thirdeye 10 7.19%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Thirdeye excluded because I its pastrami (good job though) and you all know i CAN'T STAND PRETTY PAGEANT PLATES!!!

FIRST - FIRST I say Crue B Cue had the "best"... no sorry "correct" texture. Too bad he spilled some wood stain all over it. LOL

FIRST - SECOND - Smokerguys brisket, ababandoned, cold, congealed, leftover, probably tasted awesome and melted in the mouth. The bark was textbook too. I would have to say that smokerguy probably had the best brisket of ANY EVER POSTED ON THE BRETHREN. HAD WE SEEN IT. LOL He may have made the post as a joke but his irreverence to Kansas City BS is endearing and powerful.

He represents where all of us old time competitors would have gone to eat at AFTER the Brisket pagent had ended. I mean who wants to eat the winners Q? Competition Q is designed to taste... NOT eat... I mean EAT!!!!

FIRST - Third - Diva Q - Would have been first but that dang green stuff is in the way. It could be photochopped.

HM - What do Diva, gpalsz, Crue B cue and the newguy all have in common? Proper voids between the muscle strands. IE their brisket pulls properly (err... uh... scuse me... properly would be by Texas Standards)

Some samples submitted had green stuff under and around it, which of course, ruins any brisket unless its collards or slow cooked greens or bean salad.

LOL Remember, in the words of one of our Brethren here, "It's Texas against the rest of the world in Brisket"

I trust this post will be received with the proper beligerance it was intended. Seriously... everyone did a great job. I

Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
FIRST - FIRST I say Crue B Cue had the "best"... no sorry "correct" texture. Too bad he spilled some wood stain all over it. LOL
Wood stain??? That was brisket juice. Seriously though, that was probably my best brisket. And mostly because what I learned from you about salt. I ditched the foil and cooked it until it was tender. I ended pulling it off the smoker at 202*. It came off about an hour earlier than I thought it would, so I then wrapped in foil and rested it for a little over an hour. I though it was going to be dry because there was only a tiny little bit of juice left in the foil. After I sliced, it was plenty moist. It was all still in the meat. I had already taken a few pictures without the juice. My wife then poured the juice over the meat to chunk the foil. Looking at the preview I realized one of my pics was little blurry, so I snapped another real quick.

I think I'll keep my briskets funky from now on.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

your wife... she lika da juice?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #19
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
your wife... she lika da juice?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
db
Found some matches.

Nice ends gpalasz. I'd dive into that brisket. What kind of pit???
db
db is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #21
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey db, this was actually cooked on my Weber kettle. The ends turned out incredible..my best yet. I hate garnish/parsley...its a pain in the arse, we have our first comp April 4, so...had to practice using that garbage. As a previous post stated..it should be about the meat only. But...nonetheless, we always take a hit on the garnish so...needed the practice. Brisket on Parsley...yeah...believe me...it hurts everytime I think about it.
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #22
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Popdaddy once said:

Parsley and Garnish are to Brisket what red bleeding Car antennae Welts are to a Nice Ho's behind. Damn Shame!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
BarberQue
Full Fledged Farker

The burnt ends did it for me..had to go with Gplasz. Lots of really good lookin brisket. Good luck to all that entered!
[FONT=Arial Black]Oh!! And Smokin Something Too!![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Bradley 6 rack digital auto feed smoker [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Members Mark Professional SS Gasser[/FONT]
Weber One Touch Silver
The UDS twins
BarberQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Well, I am disappointed with this Brisket throwdown because I was sure that the TX Brisket Funk master, barbefunkoramaque would enter and win.

In fact, I was so sure of it, I never bought a Brisket to enter in the throwdown.

Oh well, now we will never know if he would have won or not

Lots of great looking Briskets were entered anyway.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #25
Kosmo's Q
is one Smokin' Farker

All great entries. But in the end I had to go with Kosmo
Kosmo's Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #26
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Well, I am disappointed with this Brisket throwdown because I was sure that the TX Brisket Funk master, barbefunkoramaque would enter and win.

In fact, I was so sure of it, I never bought a Brisket to enter in the throwdown.

Oh well, now we will never know if he would have won or not

Lots of great looking Briskets were entered anyway.
I will enter when the contest is set up blind box style and I get a digital camera. My video cam takes lousy stills

I would like to take really good shots of brisket with all the garnish that I hate though with my big hairy belly in the background. LOL

Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=Barbarian;885063]Had to go with Smokerdude, his pic was just raw pron!!! Not raw as in uncooked raw just raw as in emotion strong and undisguised.

Liked Diva and gpalasz except for the parsley. I guess I won't ever do well in a comp (never been to one) because I don't like using the green stuff. Takes away from the meat IMHO.[/QUOTE

Barbarian, I was one of the bandits that gangstered the sliced brisket before pics could be taken. It was really excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a fun time for all.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #28
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

yeah..parsley blows. We have our first comp in two weeks, just had to practice using the stuff. I prefer a plate full of meat only , but...the judges do not...so thats why the parsley. I try to focus on the texture and taste of the brisket, to me...thats where it is at. When you get the results your looking for in a brisket, there is nothing better. The brisket is not very forgiving like say a butt or even ribs. The parsley just gets in the way, but...it is..what it is
CCW SP 101 357 125g

Old 03-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #29
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalasz View Post
yeah..parsley blows. We have our first comp in two weeks, just had to practice using the stuff. I prefer a plate full of meat only , but...the judges do not...so thats why the parsley. I try to focus on the texture and taste of the brisket, to me...thats where it is at. When you get the results your looking for in a brisket, there is nothing better. The brisket is not very forgiving like say a butt or even ribs. The parsley just gets in the way, but...it is..what it is
Where are you competing in OK that requires use of garnish?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #30
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

KCBS events, not required, but...if you do not use...no point in even turning in your boxes.
CCW SP 101 357 125g