MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 AM   #31
smokeydog
On the road to being a farker

Thumbs up

My wife bought me a Large BGE for my birthday last August. I can honestly say I have used it 2-3 times a week. As you can tell by my signature line I have plenty of stuff to pick from, but the egg works in rain, and cold weather. An added bonus is that nothing to rust or paint. Save enough to get your plate setter, join Eggheads forum and in time you will be happy. Good luck shopping.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #32
Nature Boy
Full Fledged Farker

Hard to add much to this thread. It really is the most versatile cooker you can have at home. I bought one over 10 years ago, and now I not only have 6 or 7 of them, but a new career as well ;-)

BTW, I just went winter camping last week, and I put a brisket on at 10pm and we stabilized the temp at 250 and went to bed. It was 20 below zero that night, and too cold for anyone to get motivated to climb out of the sleeping bag to check how the cook was going. 9 am and the cooker was still chugging along at 210. Never had a weber, but I bet you can't do that on one.

Good luck!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #33
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I bought my egg 3 years ago. LOVE IT! My Weber Genesis gasser has become a storage cabinet for eggcessories, and I never use any of my Webers at home anymore. It is just about the most versatile cooker out there! If I had any complaint, it'd be that it lacks space. But with a little help you can cook a whole lot of food on one!

At comps we use WSM's and a Weber Platinum (to glaze), but that's only because the egg is too damn heavy to move around (IMO, although plenty of folks do compete with them!) Mine is on my back deck, and there it will stay.
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #34
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Had mine roughly for a year. Haven't used my gasser, offset, gosm or my UDS since. I cook on it almost daily. Put a brisket flat on at 7:30 Monday morning - went to work - at 5:00 pm egg was still at 220 after being unattended all day. Gotta love it.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #35
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't go wrong with a Grill Dome either. Similar and offered in a few different colors.
Just my $0.02
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #36
Armak
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
I bought my egg 3 years ago. LOVE IT! My Weber Genesis gasser has become a storage cabinet for eggcessories
Same here. Although only 2 years for me. My gas grill protects all my eggcessories from the elements.

I just moved to Minnesota from CA and it has not stopped me from using my egg in the negative degrees. I was searing some steaks the other night at 700 while it was -12 outside. (also smoked some butt for 18hrs in the snow about a month ago)

These grills are eggddictive !
Armak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #37
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crüe-B-Cüe View Post
Had mine roughly for a year. Haven't used my gasser, offset, gosm or my UDS since. I cook on it almost daily. Put a brisket flat on at 7:30 Monday morning - went to work - at 5:00 pm egg was still at 220 after being unattended all day. Gotta love it.
Now that's a testimonial right there.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #38
TheDirtyBurger
Got Wood.

I live in chicago and all winter I have been cooking on it and no problems at all. I just cooked a 15 pound packer for over 17 hours and then cooked the point for an additional 3 hours on it, still have about 1/2 to 1/3 of my original lump. Best thing that ever happened to me.

DO NOT BUY IT USED!!!!!!! I bought mine used and realized my warranty is void. I am going to get another one at an egg fest. you can get them there for a good price since they are demo models and your warranty is still valid.

go green in 2009!
TheDirtyBurger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #39
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

After much researching I bought mine based on the fact it has a lifetime warranty. Not many ceramic cookers have that. I have owned mine for 8 months now and have used my UDS and Weber only once each during that time. I wish I had the egg first, then I wouldn't have a backyard full of smokers that no longer get used. Start saving your money and keep looking for a deal on one. I got my large, with electric lighter, lump, egg mates, stand, ash tool for $750, no tax. As The Dirty Burger said, be sure you buy from a dealer if you want the warranty, it does not transfer from the original owner. Check out TheNakedWhiz website for any questions you have, its like the bible for the ceramic cooker world.
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 PM   #40
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm still saying Primo!

Made in Atlanta, GA USA. (support American workers)
Finney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #41
FEAR
Found some matches.

+1 what Finney said. I got my PRIMO last june and never looked back. I think it's more versatile too. A little more $$ though.
FEAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #42
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

And the Grill Domes have a lifetime warranty as well. (I make no money for endorsements, but probably should)
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #43
Que-Dawg
is One Chatty Farker

thanks guy's for all the help and replies. I have checked out the Naked wiz website, and will also check out the grill dome and the primo (just found out a dealer is about 35 minutes away from my house)

Old 01-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #44
RibsIsRibs
Got Wood.

I ordered a Dragon Fire King Kamado today. I chose it over the others because it came standard with all stainless hardware, including an adjustable chimney and a castered stand. The other brands charged extra for the stand. This grill is also standard with wooden fold out trays on the side.

Really, all the ceramic egg cookers look to be about the same, with only minor variations in warranties, ceramic thickness, colors, and standard and add-on accessories.

Yee-haw!

Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #45
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyBurger View Post
I live in chicago and all winter I have been cooking on it and no problems at all. I just cooked a 15 pound packer for over 17 hours and then cooked the point for an additional 3 hours on it, still have about 1/2 to 1/3 of my original lump. Best thing that ever happened to me.

DO NOT BUY IT USED!!!!!!! I bought mine used and realized my warranty is void. I am going to get another one at an egg fest. you can get them there for a good price since they are demo models and your warranty is still valid.

go green in 2009!
I've owned my large egg for over 10 years now. Only issue I've had was cracked firebox, which they replaced. I had to pay shipping. If ou take care of it you won't need the warranty anyway.