Advice Please/ To Take or not take Paul Kirk Class

Erin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Vancouver, WA--Across the Columbia River from Port
I've signed up to take a Paul Kirk BBQ Pitmaster Class. I am now wondering if I should back out of it. I just took a wonderful Pitmaster class through Pacific Northwest BBQ Assoc. I learned so much, got a ton of one on one help and had a wonderful time. Has anyone taken his class? Did you gain much by taking it? Was there hands on instruction? Did you get one on one help and advise as you worked? Did you feel the class was worth taking? Anything else that you can add would help too. What do you think?
Thank You!

I took it last November. I would absolutely recommend taking it. The man is a living BBQ legend. I think the stories alone are worth it. If you have the option of dinner with him the night before class definitely go. He really spends one on one time as much as he can. You will learn alot from him.

Chef Paul pulls no punches when he has an opinion so be aware of that. But he is really a nice guy. He likes to pick out people to pick on throughout the class, but its all in fun. You will learn from Chef Paul how to cook your BBQ without foil. Whether you continue not to use it will be up to you.

My advice is take it.

He's a very knowledgeable guy and well respected at the Jack.

The%20Jack%20(378).jpg

The%20Jack%20(440).jpg

The%20Jack%20(204).jpg

I haven't taken any classes, however, I'm of the assupmtion that you can never learn too much. He seems to really know his stuff, so I would certainly take his class to add to my arsenal. You never know when or where you'll learn that little tid bit that really makes a huge difference for you. If you have the means.....why not?

When will you have the opportunity to learn from a legend in any activity, if you can afford it, take it. One of the great things about BBQ, many of the legends are willing to teach what they know.

And don't let the fact that he doesn't win alot of contests anymore fool you. One reason is that he doesn't compete as much as he used to. Another is that he knows exactly the things that it takes to win, he just refuses to do some of them. He does things the old fashioned way, with some meat, a rub, and some smoke. He has so many trophies he gives them away now.

Sorry if I sound like Im kissing up to him, I just thoroughly enjoyed the whole day.

It depends on what your goals are. Paul does give a great class. I have taken Paul kirks class I think it will be very similar to the class you just took last week. I would practice those techniques and let that class sink in. In the fall or next spring take another class if you wish when you have more of your own experience then you will have more questions to ask. I think if you took the Paul kirks class now you would be in BBQ overload. You can buy his book though. In the meantime, between the Brethren here and the PNWBA you have more than enough people to help answer any questions you may have.

Back