Mind if I share the most tender tri-tip I've smoked yet?

jeremu

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Ok this is a 2 parter. I wanted to show off my new Ink Bird Wi-Fi probe thermometer (IBBQ-4T) and somehow made the most amazingly tender tri-tip I've ever tasted let-alone made!!

My brand new toy. I'm STOKED I can go to the store and STILL monitor temps with this baby :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:
Also small detail, but huge for me IT COMES WITH 2 ambient temperature clips :shocked:

Here is the cook ... I'll get into more details below.
Smoke:
UpL4dpim.jpg
8QeuVT1m.jpg
1D6GBsNm.jpg

Wrap in foil @ 130ºF - 135ºF internal till ~ 150ºF:
zVBBnWsl.jpg
d0zRimLm.png

Server after 2 and a half hour rest in foil:
J9yxxxSm.jpg

3VTS8pxl.jpg

The details:

Start
Used some cheap, twice frozen (at least), choice tri-tips from Smart N' Final.
I'm running out of wood so I smoked in a mixture of Pecan, Post Oak and Hickory.
Started out pretty hot about 300ºF to get the wood smoking then down low to 225º - 250º for the rest of the cook.

2 Hours In @ 130ºF - 135ºF Internal
Opened the smoker to wrap aaaaaaaaaand ... my head dropped. The tri-tip looked like a dry piece of beef jerky. BUT I went to pick it up and oh man the tips sagged and I knew something was WAY right!!
I wrapped them in foil an put it back in the smoker.

3 Hours In @ 145ºF - 150ºF Internal
Turned smoker off and let the tri-tips rest for 2 and a half hours.

5 and a half hours In
Sliced that baby open and OMG I immediately knew it was gonna be something special.

I'll be honest I DON'T like rare or even medium cooked tri-tip. It's always chewy, you have to rip the meat when you bite and the meat oxidizes as soon as you cut it.

This cook was perfect. All the juices stayed in the tri-tip. There wasn't a bunch of red running everywhere. The flavor was perfect and the texture amazing. I think the long 3 hour cook / 2.5 hour rest really changed things up.
tBl0Q4tl.jpg

Last edited:
I am surprised you could cook it that long and have it come out so well! I have never let mine rest that long either.

Learn something new here every day. Bon appetit!

Last edited:
Tri tip is on my list of "stuff I gotta do" - I have a friend from California who says "it's best grilled"- will probably do it that way first.

And I'm still on the fence about the wifi Inkbird unit. It seems to be a quality product - but my wireless Inkbird works great for my small house. And I don't do much going since the Covid hit.

You can't argue with those results. Nice job!

Looks super good. Do you normally rest tri-tip for 2.5 hrs? Think that had something to do with the results?

Looks super good. Do you normally rest tri-tip for 2.5 hrs? Think that had something to do with the results?
YES!!! I cannot express how much the rest makes a difference! this year I've learned after YEARS OF FRUSTRATION to ALWAYS let my tri-tip rest for 1 or 2 hours. I'm no scientist, but I just know it's waaaaay more tender with a very long rest. I normally cook it to about 155ºF on the Pit Barrel Cooker, wrap in foil and then let it rest for a couple hours. I was pretty proud of it that way, but nothing compared to yesterday's cook.

This time I actually measured the temp of the rest to 125ºF before I unwrapped and sliced. I'm thinking the extra rest, lower cook temp and early wrap all helped. It stayed tender all night no matter how cold it got (the meat just got darker). I'll have to cook a few more just to be sure ... you know ... for science ... not cause I want more tri-tip. :wink:

Good Job!

Those look perfect. The freeze and long cook really helps with the tenderness. Plus, I’ve purchased some really nice Tri Tips from Smart and Final here in California...

I have never had a tri-tip I would consider tender...maybe I'm not cookin them long enough. I always grill to 135. Always chewy. I did them two different times. It makes me go..hmmm...when people rant and rave about em. If I ever do one again..I'll try your method. Thanks!

You are giving me inspiration to do a tri tip. They always have it at Walmart just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

However you cook/smoke/grill Try-Tip remember this: When done cut across the grain, very thin slices. Notice the grain radiates differently from the "elbow." Then each slice cut across again to eat. Most tender is this cutting method. Still not filet, but the Triple-Tip has incredible flavor. Prep first with your seasoning choices, fork into bth sides, pour some liquid flavor like Teriyaki or Soy Sauce, better even Red wine. Let sit for a half hour at room temp before cooking on the grill, or smoking.

Picked up a couple beautiful well trimmed prime tri tips at Fresh Market today for $7.99 a lb. Good eating this weekend.

Back