MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
Wolfhunter489
Found some matches.

Default Cooking too fast!

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice here. I am a total noob when it comes to smoking. I built my own uds and only have a handful of cooks under my belt. The last time I did a brisket (about 13 pounds) I cooked it at about 175 and it only took about 7 hours. I was looking forward to a nice slow cook and I was surprised how quickly it was done. Don't get me wrong, the brisket came out pretty damn good but I thought it was way too fast. I was thinking about using some kind of diffuser to help redirect some heat around the drum thus slowing down the cook. What do you guys think? Any advice will help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (78.8 KB, 153 views)
Wolfhunter489 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

175?

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

You're SURE you cooked at 175? There's no way a 13# brisket cooked that fast at 175.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
pigville porkers
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree, no way that was done at 175 that fast... I say something is off some place. Nice uds and I love the blue line. Im ex law enforcement and appreciate it.. we lost two here last night in a deliberate ambush ....

Old 11-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #5
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

275°?

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #6
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you are cooking at 175 and it took you 7 hours to get a brisket done, there are 2 things that I am thinking.

1. You are only cooking the brisket to at max 165 degrees internal temp.
2. you meant to say you were cooking at 275 degrees. And even if you were cooking at 275 degrees, 7 hours sounds like a short cook at that temperature.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I think you mean 275*, but that's a minor point. The ONLY thing that matters is that YOU like the way it came out. Some people here cook at high temps (>300*) and others cook at low temps (~220*) and most people cook anywhere in between. Results can be good at just about any temperature. The ONLY thing that really matters is that you like the final product. If you've got a delicious product in 7 hours cooking at 275*, then GREAT!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Wolfhunter489
Found some matches.

Ok. Looking at it again it was 275. Sorry about that.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

At 275 degrees, a brisket done in 7 hours seems a little fast for a properly cooked one.

However if you want a longer cook, just drop your temperature down to 250 or 225. There is nothing wrong with cooking low and slow. I personally cook hot and fast now, but I used to be a low and slow type of guy. As I got older, I prefer to get some sleep vs tending a cooker overnight when doing low and slow.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Wolfhunter489
Found some matches.

Gore, I hear ya, and yes the brisket did come out pretty good. Pulled it off at internal temp of 190. I'm getting ready to do a pork shoulder this weekend and was thinking about using a diffuser. Any of you guys use one?

Piggyville, I heard about what happened this morning. Things are getting out of control, hopefully they catch the scumbag. Heard they have a suspect.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Wolfhunter489
Found some matches.

Aawa, I'll try dropping the temp and see how it turns out. Thanks guys for all the quick feedback.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:45 AM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhunter489 View Post
Gore, I hear ya, and yes the brisket did come out pretty good. Pulled it off at internal temp of 190.
Quote:
Aawa, I'll try dropping the temp and see how it turns out. Thanks guys for all the quick feedback.

Just an FYI at 190 degrees internal temp, that brisket was probably not done. Was the brisket tough and dry? If so, it was definitely undercooked.

I have found that when cooking at 275 degrees that the brisket will probe tender anywhere between 200-210 degrees and sometimes higher.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #13
Wolfhunter489
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
Just an FYI at 190 degrees internal temp, that brisket was probably not done. Was the brisket tough and dry? If so, it was definitely undercooked.

I have found that when cooking at 275 degrees that the brisket will probe tender anywhere between 200-210 degrees and sometimes higher.
Maybe a litttle bit dry on the flat. But the point was great...probably due to the fat lol. I will try to cook a little longer on the next one.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
If your brisket gets done too quickly, you can always hold it in a cooler till feeding time. once it comes out of the cooker, vent it if wrapped in the smoker just to stop the cooking. Then, wrap it in either butcher paper or foil then into a preheated cooler. Stuff a blanket or towels in there to keep more insulation. I've seen people on here holding their brisket hot for hours.....

BTW....welcome from exit 36....

Old 11-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

If you were reading 275 on the side mounted therms, you were probably 50-75 hotter in the middle of the rack since you were not using a diffuser. You were actually at 325-350 where the meat sat. That would explain the 7 hour cook time.

Three options:
1) use a diffuser plate to even out temps,
2)learn the difference between mid rack & therm temp & adjust accordingly. ie; if mid rack is 75* hotter, then set your intakes to hit 200* on the side mounted therm
3) get a remote probe therm so you can accurately measure the temp in the middle.

Tags
diffuser, fast, quick