MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
aawa
Babbling Farker

Default What to do with pork butt instead of pulled pork w/ Pron

Well my roommate who isn't much of a cook wanted to make pork and pumpkin chili. The recipe he used called for 2.5lbs of pork butt. He didn't realize country style ribs were cut up pork butt, so instead he bought a 9lb pork butt and just hack off what he needed and asked me if I could do something with it.

I said no problem! But didn't want to make pulled pork since I just made some 3 days ago.

So I went to my childhood days where my parents would make Pork Tosino (sweet and salt pork) and decided I would do that. It is thin sliced pieces of pork butt that is cured in 3 parts sugar 1 part salt for a minimum of 3 days. Each day you just drain the liquid out of the container you are storing it in (store it in the fridge of course)

I didnt get any pron of the process but this is what I made tonight.

Pan fried at medium heat (was going to smoke it but Hurricane Sandy put a damper on doing it that way)

Made some apple, fennel, carrot slaw. 2 gala apples, 2 small fennel bulbs, 2 carrots all julienned up. Add in a handful of crasins, tablespoon of agave nectar, half a container of greek yogurt (in place of mayo), juice of 2 lemons, salt and pepper to taste.

Chop the pork tosino into strips, put on ciabatta bread top with slaw and sever with a side of the slaw!

Thanks for looking!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That looks great! My wife hates mayo, so this might work for her, I'll have to give it a shot.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice one Ren!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the slaw recipe! Our daughter won't eat mayo. Sandwiches look yummy.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

I'm not a big fan of Mayo either. I found in a lot of recipes for comfort food turned healthier that greek yogurt was substituted for mayo. It has a slightly different flavor but one that I think is better than mayo. And it is healthier as a biproduct!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

[drool] Awesome! Love the slaw recipe- gonna have to try it real soon.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

It all looks delicious! Have not heard of pork tosino, thanks for posting!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
It all looks delicious! Have not heard of pork tosino, thanks for posting!
Tosino is a filipino dish. I grew up eating it and normally whenever we get together as a family for Thanksgiving and Christmas my dad will make it for my sisters and I for breakfast. The sweet and salty flavor rocks along with the tenderness of the pork. Normally we eat it with steamed rice and egg w/ runny yolk. True filipino comfort food!

There are recipes which use nitrates and pineapple juice. But the nice simple sugar and salt cure is what I like the most.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Good looking grub!