MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
B3
On the road to being a farker

Question What’s your favorite way to store chili?

I’m planning on cooking up a batch of chili this weekend using the rib tips I’ve been saving up in the freezer. I’ve got two questions:

1) How would you prepare the rib tips? I’m planning on just smoking them up the same way I would do a full rack (but for less time, obviously) and dumping them into the pot. Should I grill them on high heat instead? I'm also half temped to just forget the chili, cook them, toss them in sauce, and eat them like a bowl of BBQ cereal.

2) What’s your favorite way to store chili? Freeze it? Fridge it? Growing up, my mother always had a large glass jar that she’d refrigerate soups in. I'm considering picking up such a jar. What type of container do you use?

Thanks in advance.
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I fill these and put them in the deep freeze, pull them out whenever needed. I got a jillion of them on sale once for next to nothing.

Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I store it in Me. Then again freezer bags work great, but I don't fit.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

i've been making lots of soups and chili's lately. I freeze in the cheap, plastic containers. 24 hrs or so, I pop them out frozen then vac seal.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

Great idea !! " Boatnut"...... Thanks...

Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
rlt
On the road to being a farker

I double bag in ziploc and toss it in

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I fill these and put them in the deep freeze, pull them out whenever needed. I got a jillion of them on sale once for next to nothing.

Ball (the canning jar company) makes a similar product that I use for freezing. Same concept. Just don't use cool whip, parkay, sour cream, or what ever tubs. I hate playing the guessing game as in "what's in this tub ? ". I label freezer stuff clearly, my bride, not so much.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Tupperware lined with Saran Wrap so it doesn't stain. I also lay a piece of Saran Wrap on top so no air gets to the chili. Same way I freeze sauces.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
JazzCat
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

" What’s your favorite way to store chili? "

In my tummy
JazzCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Gallon Foodsaver bags.
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM   #11
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Ziploc bags. Containers stain, and round containers waste a lot of space in the freezer. I freeze the filled bag flat, so it's about an inch thick. (you can get more air out the bag that way) The increased surface area also freezes faster than in a container.

After it's frozen solid, I can either let the bag lay flat or stand it up like a book in the freezer. When I'm ready to use it, I just cut the bag off while it's still frozen, or drop the bag in cold water in the sink for a fast thaw. That increased surface area helps speed up thawing as well.

I don't use the heavy bags that are sold as "freezer" bags because I usually don't keep chili or soups/stews more than a month or so. I've never noticed a difference in quality after coming out of the freezer.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #12
Black Dog BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnin Querve View Post
Ziploc bags. Containers stain, and round containers waste a lot of space in the freezer. I freeze the filled bag flat, so it's about an inch thick. (you can get more air out the bag that way) The increased surface area also freezes faster than in a container.

After it's frozen solid, I can either let the bag lay flat or stand it up like a book in the freezer. When I'm ready to use it, I just cut the bag off while it's still frozen, or drop the bag in cold water in the sink for a fast thaw. That increased surface area helps speed up thawing as well.

I don't use the heavy bags that are sold as "freezer" bags because I usually don't keep chili or soups/stews more than a month or so. I've never noticed a difference in quality after coming out of the freezer.

Chris
Great minds think alike! Same way here!
Black Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #13
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

storing chili... isn't that sacrilege??

:)

RMR

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #14
bigabyte

I used to use bags to store chili and other liquidy type stuff. I like the cheapo containers better for storing liquidy stuff, because I don't have to transfer it into another container later. Plus, if they stain too badly, toss (or recycle) it and use a new one. It only takes one Ziploc bag to open up before it's frozen to find them less attractive, but don't ask how I know that. Just my opinion though.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post

The only thing my wife doesn't like about them is that she can have trouble removing the lid sometimes. I still use them to freeze the chili, but it goes into a foodsaver bag as soon as it's frozen.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote