• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New Smoker Test Drive

Muscrat

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
After finishing a project I started in June I finally got to give it a test drive.

I Put on a 11lb packer brisket on at 6am and struggled with keeping the temp steady at 260 for the first 3 hrs since I wasnt used to an offset. I started the fire using charcoal and mesquite and then used 100 percent mesquite wood. I have been using a UDS for the last 2 years.
At 10:45 I put the the brisket in an aluminum pan and covered it with foil. By this time I had figured out how to set thedampers and how large of fire to keep in the box.

At 1pm I put on 2 racks of spares. Temp was around 270 ish for the rest of the cook. At 2pm I checked the internal temp of the brisket and it was 187. At 3pm I checked it it was 192 and also at this time I wrapped the ribs in foil. I checked the internal temp again at 4:15 it is was 195. It stayed that way till I took it off at 5:45 making the total cook time just shy of 12hrs. The point probed uasy and the flat didnt pobe just real easy but I'm just not sure what real easy is exactly. I let it rest for 1:45 minutes in the pan with the juices, which almost ran over the side of the pan. I drained the juice and started cutting. The smoke ring was massive but it was dry and tough.

WHAT HAPPENED?

I let the ribs cook wrapped for 2 hrs. They literally fell apart when trying to take them out of the foil.
Any insight of what I may have done wrong I would appreciate any advise and criticism. I'll post a pick of the cooker on the very next post so Ya'll can see what type of cooker I'm using because I dont know how to post pics with the computer, just my phone using tapatalk. Yeah I'm an idiot!

I don't think you need to cook an 11lb brisket 12 hours. That's probably why it's dry. I normally get mine off the heat when the IT reaches 180. 190s are fine too, but at that point, they just need to be wrapped up well and kept warm. I rest them with the temp in the 180-190 range for 3 hours or so, then it's ready. Staying in he pit with temps as described for that amount if time above the target temp probably is what went wrong.

After finishing a project I started in June I finally got to give it a test drive.

I Put on a 11lb packer brisket on at 6am and struggled with keeping the temp steady at 260 for the first 3 hrs since I wasnt used to an offset. I started the fire using charcoal and mesquite and then used 100 percent mesquite wood. I have been using a UDS for the last 2 years.
At 10:45 I put the the brisket in an aluminum pan and covered it with foil. By this time I had figured out how to set thedampers and how large of fire to keep in the box.

At 1pm I put on 2 racks of spares. Temp was around 270 ish for the rest of the cook. At 2pm I checked the internal temp of the brisket and it was 187. At 3pm I checked it it was 192 and also at this time I wrapped the ribs in foil. I checked the internal temp again at 4:15 it is was 195. It stayed that way till I took it off at 5:45 making the total cook time just shy of 12hrs. The point probed uasy and the flat didnt pobe just real easy but I'm just not sure what real easy is exactly. I let it rest for 1:45 minutes in the pan with the juices, which almost ran over the side of the pan. I drained the juice and started cutting. The smoke ring was massive but it was dry and tough.

WHAT HAPPENED?

I let the ribs cook wrapped for 2 hrs. They literally fell apart when trying to take them out of the foil.
Any insight of what I may have done wrong I would appreciate any advise and criticism. I'll post a pick of the cooker on the very next post so Ya'll can see what type of cooker I'm using because I dont know how to post pics with the computer, just my phone using tapatalk. Yeah I'm an idiot!
Loose the Foil and rely on the Probe thermos lie probes don't. I never use foil you foiled your ribs and left them in to long learn to cook with out that stuff.
Like Making Love to a Hot woman
I like your pit.:mrgreen:

First qustion is should I have taken it out of the pan and then wrap it up or was leaving it in the juice ok?

Next question is what kind of meat was I thinking of that needs to bee 200 degrees?

Beautiful cooker!

Those ribs probably were just wrapped a bit too long. I do mine at around 250 when they're wrapped. At 270 1 hour may have been all you needed. Then unwrap/glaze until they reach the tenderness desired.

Sometimes though, brisket or ribs...just depends on the meat you picked up.

Cooking it in a pan in it's own juices is Braising not BBQ at the point of placing in to the pan and foiling it you could have carried it to the wifes oven as there is no benefit to keep it on the pit. I Cook at 300 deg 4 hrs then wrap in BP when it is probe tender remove it to you kitchen counter put a thermo in it when the temp drops into the 150's its ready. What temp is it? Probe tender!

Pork shoulders are often cooked into the 200+ to facilitate Pulling. Again I don't use a thermo Butts have a built in thermo "the bone". When the bone pulls out it's done.
like this
PulledPork028-1.jpg

Yeah they are. Your the first person that's commented on them.
I thought it was cool!!

Something different.

How much fat was on that brisket? It looks pretty lean which may have been one of the reasons why it was dry. You also let it cook for another hour and a half after it reached 195*, at 270* that is overcooked. Wrap it in foil (not in a foil covered pan) with some liquid when it reaches 155* and take it to 195* (or probe tender) and pull it off the smoker. Open the foil for about 5-10 minutes to vent some of the heat, wrap it back up and put it in a cooler or some other insulated container. Let it rest 45-60 minutes and enjoy.

When did you foil the ribs? From the beginning or did you wrap them after a certain amount of time? At 270* I would try smoking them for 2 1/2 hours, wrap for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, checking them after being in the foil for 1 hour.

Congrats on your first cook. IF the food was edible i would consider it a success.:eusa_clap

First and most important, will the beer tap keep beer cold being that close to the pit?
I haven't seen anything like that before. That might be a stroke of genius.:wink:

Back to cooking, there are some great videos here considering stickburners and brisket.
I would search for pitmastert and look at his videos on brisket and weeping ribs.
Also Franklins video on brisket is a nice place to learn. He uses water bowl to increase moisture in pit, brown paper to keep a brisket from burning up, fat towards the fire, lots of small things that add up to success.
I continue to learn every time i fire up the stickburner.
I haven't had any success with mesquite. Its hard to get in KY.
I burnt up the last set of ribs i cooked so Im not going to offer any help on them.
jon

I watched franklins videos and I use a water bowl on the heat side and placed the point end toward the heat.
My next try will be next weekend and I'm gonna leave it on the grate uncovered until its tender and see how that works.
The ribs were uncovered for the first 3 hrs. Then foiled for about 2.
The plumbing for the keg beer is all inside the boxes Ans away from heat. The box on the other side is built for a half keg and is insulated to keep ice longer.

I watched franklins videos and I use a water bowl on the heat side and placed the point end toward the heat.
My next try will be next weekend and I'm gonna leave it on the grate uncovered until its tender and see how that works.
The ribs were uncovered for the first 3 hrs. Then foiled for about 2.
The plumbing for the keg beer is all inside the boxes Ans away from heat. The box on the other side is built for a half keg and is insulated to keep ice longer.

quistion on the ribs . Why not foil them for the first three and then unfoil them for the last two . that way you can sause them while they are hot and the pores are open . i am new and i ask quistions to learn

I'm probably wrong but my guess is when the meat receives heat it tightens up that's why most smoke first.

That's my "swag". (Scientific Wild Ass Guess)

I really am digging the baseball bats. Might have to go to the Louisville Slugger site and get a couple custom bats with my Team name on them and use those bad boys as handles!

quistion on the ribs . Why not foil them for the first three and then unfoil them for the last two . that way you can sause them while they are hot and the pores are open . i am new and i ask quistions to learn
Because your meat is going to take in the best smoke for ring formation at the beginning when it's cool plus you want that pretty red color before you foil.

Saw what I needed in his first few paragraphs. Anytime a brisket is tough, it's undercooked. A tough brisket will be dry also Becaise the meat lignens haven't given up yet. I regularly take briskets as high as 210 to get the tenderness I'm looking for. A long rest to allow it to Soak back up the juices is a must! Good luck on the next cook, beautiful Jambo clone!

Back