• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My UDS charcoal basket "breakthrough"

enasnidx

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since I've finally finished my UDS, I got the chance to test my theory for an "O" shaped fire basket (as mentioned in the mother thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436&page=534). I put a small roll of expanded steel in the middle of my basket. Did a top-down Minion Method burn. I know I'm not the first to try this. In fact, it may not even be the best method, but it seemed to pass the test (inspired by the "diffuser throwdown" http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96581). I did biscuits today as I seasoned my drum to see how even the heat dispersed without using a diffuser. My goal was to have even heat without burning up fuel so fast like many do with a diffuser. The results:
100_3630.jpg

Biscuits spread out to check for even heat
100_3632.jpg

The bottoms show that the middle was a little hotter, but much more even than without the middle ring
100_3633.jpg

This is after the biscuits had been in for about 30 min. as the temp climbed from 225 to 350. The roll of steel in the middle was really easy as I had a small piece of scrap that I just wire tied together and set in the basket.

I didn't know about that! I finished a UDS a few weeks ago and have noticed temp variations. That looks like a cool idea - I'm gonna try it! Thanks for posting. BTW I've done the biscuit test in my offset. One thing I learned is biscuits from a smoker taste like chit. :heh:

BTW I've done the biscuit test in my offset. One thing I learned is biscuits from a smoker taste like chit. :heh:

Sooooo true. I let my 6 yr. old have one of the biscuits for a bedtime snack...:heh:
Let's just say they didn't pass his test. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the look on his face as he bit it and promptly threw it away.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Hmmmm...I'm building a UDS for one of my sons right now. I ran across this idea as I was reading thru the UDS thread B4 starting my build and I certainly thought the idea has merit. After seeing your biscuit test I just mite give this
charcoal basket doughnut a try myself. After seeing the crap that Lowes sells for expanded wire I went by the local steel supply today and picked up 2 pieces (12"x 96") of 3/4" 9-11 for 12 dollars apiece so I have plenty to work with. Thanks for the post!

There are many good ideas on the Fire Basket setup. One thing I have learned is the heat will take the path of least resistance. Meaning that the exhaust will effect the heat also.

Nice set up!!

I did similar experiments this week by placing an inverted SS bowl in the middle of the charcoal basket and pouring coals over that. My original intention was to use less charcoal for a small cook but that also seemed to tame all that direct heat at the center of the cooking grate.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1730535 said:
One thing I have learned is the heat will take the path of least resistance. Meaning that the exhaust will effect the heat also.
That's true. If I can find another spare lid I'd like to experiment by drilling smaller exhaust vent holes around the perimeter of the lid and not use the daisy wheel. Perhaps the ventless loose fitting lids on ECB's are not a bad design after all....:)))

Last edited:
Not such a bad dispersion of heat if you ask me. I wonder if it would be even more evenly spread with a diffuser on top of all that?

"Just what you need, something else to build or modify!!"...My wife after I told her about this mod!!

Matt

Interesting idea. However, how did you spread the lit coals? More importantly, if you spread out lit coals in the exact same way without the center spacer would it not function the same? Also, how long was the UDS running before you put on the biscuits? I can see the coals burning nice and spread out at first but usually in a long burn the fire tends to wander. Definitely keep us updated on how this works out for you.

Interesting idea. However, how did you spread the lit coals?
I put about a dozen lit coals on top. There were essentially three groups of 4 coals spaced out.
Untitled.jpg

More importantly, if you spread out lit coals in the exact same way without the center spacer would it not function the same?
I think it would for a short period of time. However, once the unlit coals start to burn, the center will start to get even hotter.
Also, how long was the UDS running before you put on the biscuits? I can see the coals burning nice and spread out at first but usually in a long burn the fire tends to wander. Definitely keep us updated on how this works out for you.
The barrel was slow to get up to temp (I suspect because the lit coals were so spread out). I had it burn for about an hour before it reached 225. Then I put the biscuits on for about 30 to 45 min. With three intakes open, the temp slowly climbed up to 275. During the last 10 min. the temp spiked to 350 (I'm guessing the fire had spread a bit more by then).

My next attempt will probably be with about 15-18 lit coals. I think this will help get the barrel up to temp faster and maybe avoid the sharp jump in temp. I'm doing two butts tomorrow morning so I will let you know!

Not such a bad dispersion of heat if you ask me. I wonder if it would be even more evenly spread with a diffuser on top of all that?
It probably would, but again, my goal was to avoid a diffuser as I've heard the barrel burns through a lot more fuel.

It probably would, but again, my goal was to avoid a diffuser as I've heard the barrel burns through a lot more fuel.
It does burn more fuel, it's only logical that it does. I'm not sure I'd call it "a lot more fuel." Whether you're willing to sacrifice burning more fuel to even out the heat is a situational decision.

It's easy to comprehend that it would take less fuel to heat a 9" diameter circle to 250 deg than it would to heat an 18" or even a 22" diameter circle to 250 degrees. There is more area to heat up with the larger circles.

Do you want a hot, small circle to cook in or do you want a large circle to cook in? The answer depends on what you're cooking.

If you're only cooking a single butt or a couple of fatties or some item that would basically fit into the smaller area, having no diffuser would be the most efficient way to go.

If you're cooking a large assortment of items such as 50 chicken wings, or 4 racks of ribs it could be easier to spread out your heat and bite the more fuel bullet, unless you want to keep rotating your items.

Mutiple diffusers seem the best option for me. Right now I have a 10" diameter diffuser and a 16" diffuser. The amount of food I'm cooking will decide which diffuser I choose. The larger diffuser will create a larger area with the even temperature cooking area and will require more fuel to keep that larger area hot.

Having the grate down below that allows the option of a diffuser of choice or even no diffuser seems best to me. Personally I'd prefer to not have to rotate the food I'm cooking. I prefer to keep the lid on and prevent temp changes.

C'mon, it's barbecue... a UDS, it's the simplicity that makes it great. Do we really need to over analyze every aspect of it?

C'mon, it's barbecue... a UDS, it's the simplicity that makes it great. Do we really need to over analyze every aspect of it?
I respect your opinion.

In my opinion what makes it great is knowing I built it with minimal resources, it's efficiency and most of all, the quality of the food.

One man's "over analyze" is another man's toy.

And I respect your opinion as well, I can appreciate mods and tweaking, I've done a few myself, but sometimes I believe it's just splitting hairs.

Resurrecting an older thread here to report how this has been working for me over the past year. I can say after smoking many different types and quantities of meat that I absolutely love the results. This was probably the easiest part of my UDS build and it works without flaw. The heat in my UDS is dispersed pretty evenly and I am able to cook large meats without having to worry about the middle being done faster or hotter than the outside. I can throw 3 racks of ribs on and they come out cooked evenly every time (and finished at the same time) and I don't have to worry about rotating them on the grate. The cooks are more efficient because I don't have to open lid. I usually spin the lid periodically without lifting it to put the exhaust vent on a different side so that the coals burn evenly around the basket.

I only bring this up again to give others an update and show how easy it is. Plus I can simply leave it out when I fill my basket if I want to have a hotter center (for maybe doing one butt in the middle). It uses such a small amount of fuel with the ring in the middle that I can fill my basket with maybe 1/4 of a bag of coals and I always have left over after a 9 hour smoke. I was amused at my last (amatuer) comp when no one knew what the heck I was using for smoking and they were refueling their huge smokers for a 6 hour rib cook (and using a full bag of coals in the process).

Hope others try this and get good results as well!

Just came across this thread during a search.

Can you tell me the measurements of your final basket? Is it 18" diameter x 8" high with a 5" dia center ring? Or did you modify it at some point?

I'd like to try this as I like the idea of a more even dispersion of heat.

Do you think it is worth having several exhaust vents around the perimeter of the lid as opposed to one bigger single exhaust? Or does it not matter as much in your opinion? (I do prefer the appearance of a single pipe exhaust as opposed to several holes drilled in the lid).

Thanks

I didm3'racks of baby backs the other day one rack finished in 5.5 hours and the others took another 2 hours once they were moved to the center!

I took a slightly different route to try and even out temperatures, and I think it has worked well. I know because some people use the Weber lids and such, this may not work well. My drum lid did not have any bungs in it. I drilled eight 1/2" holes evenly spread across the top to even out airflow through the drum, rather than one exhaust drawing the heat to it.

IMG_0016.jpg

Back