Where do you store your rubs?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I have read on all the rub labels to store in a dry and cool environment. However, I struggle to think all these warehouses where these rubs are being stored are climate controlled. I have put mine (so far) in my shed outside in my rub storage container. It is pretty hot in the shed. Also, I have noticed after a while some are starting to cake up. I figure this is normal, but definitely wanted to check in case it is the heat causing it. Am I the only one storing in heat?

I store mine in mason jars with 2 lids (top one normal bottom one with shaker holes in it ) in my pantry. When I want to use, take top lid off shake away, done put back and sealed up tight .

I keep mine in the kitchen pantry for the very reason you have questions, but I do my prep in the kitchen anyway. I have found it better to store the rubs in Mason jars for a little longer shelf life and use a shaker for applying the rub, and put the left over back in the Mason Jar.
The normal plastic containers they come on, or the zip lock bags, seem to allow air inside because they just dont seal tight enough, and the humidity can cause the caking.

I always buy yardbird in a 5lb bag, vac seal in 3 or 4 smaller packs, store the packs on a high shelf in a metal container with a lid. I keep it on the shelf in a pint mason jar for use. Fill up the jar by cutting a corner off the vac bag then revac seal. 5lbs lasts a couple years and the last bit is just as good as fresh.

I typically just use my own. I keep it in a gallon jar in the basement and throw some popcorn in it to keep it from clumping. In our spice cabinet+ I keep in a liittle mason jar. Never had any issues of clumping since I used the popcorn.

The kitchen island, the pantry, the cabinet above the refrigerator, and the basement :becky:

What they’re stored in matters just as much if not more than where they’re stored. The typical plastic shaker bottle isn’t airtight and they don’t keep as well, IMO. Vacuum sealing helps, I do that any time I buy a 5lb bag of something, which isn’t that often anymore.

I can't imagine doing prep outside, so I keep them inside. Big bottles in the cabinet, frequent users are in the spice cabinet, overflow/refills are on the bookcase in the office (it's odd, that bookcase has more BBQ supplies than books...)

I probably should buy more in bulk and vacseal...but I frequently buy to send them to friends, so it's easy to grab refills.

I keep my Oakridge stuff in a kitchen cabinet (Oakridge seem to be well sealed) and the plastic jars in a cambro downstairs. Still get clumping sometimes. I’m wondering if the small desiccant bags would be food safe

I have read on all the rub labels to store in a dry and cool environment. However, I struggle to think all these warehouses where these rubs are being stored are climate controlled. I have put mine (so far) in my shed outside in my rub storage container. It is pretty hot in the shed. Also, I have noticed after a while some are starting to cake up. I figure this is normal, but definitely wanted to check in case it is the heat causing it. Am I the only one storing in heat?

Not all rubs are stored in warehouses. keep in mind that most spices start to loose potency and essential oils when stored for a year.

Your best bet is to buy rubs that are produced upon the order of your items; yes there are a few.
For those who don't buy from these distributors here are a few alternatives.

1) I find my basement gives the best storage possibility for me due to a dehumidifier.
2) Seal the shaker, put some long grain rice in the rub mixture.
3) For those who do not have a dehumidifier, use a humidity absorber inside the spice cabinet. These can be found at hardware stores and big box stores like Walmart. Buy the unscented...

I buy a few rubs in bulk. The bulk I keep in original packaging, place in ziplock 1 gallon bag, compress out all the air and store in the freezer. I pull out when I need to refill my shaker. Rubs don't seem to lose any of their potency this we even a couple years old.

Everything else just sits on a shelf (ok shelves, lots of shelves) in the pantry and cabinets.

I found that storing my rubs in a pantry that shared a perimeter wall with my house was causing issues during the summer. The door stays closed and the small area doesn't get the right amount of air circulation, temperature control, and de-humidification. I've since moved them into an interior space.

Also, if you have rubs that are caked up, pour them out on some wax paper on a baking sheet and put in the oven for a bit on low heat. The heat will dry out the moisture and you'll be good as new.

I keep mine in the pantry, but it is right beside the fridge cubbyhole so gets heat from there. For things like garlic and onion powder which I have a big problem with clumping, I find a few grains of rice in there helps a lot.

Back