MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Input on New Comp Rig Needed

I am happy and a little sad. Big Tilly (Matilda), our big Klose Offset, has found a new home.

So, I call on the collective experience of The Brethren for input on the new Comp Rig:

Enclosed Trailer - brand/size, single/double axle, drop down door
Cooker(s) - Backwoods, Spicewine, others, like/dislikes, ease of use and cleaning, options, etc.
Grill - ?
Rolling Cabinetry - for storage of utensils, etc.
Folding Stainless Steel Table - for prep and turn ins

Thanks.

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giggler View Post
I am happy and a little sad. Big Tilly (Matilda), our big Klose Offset, has found a new home.

So, I call on the collective experience of The Brethren for input on the new Comp Rig:

Enclosed Trailer - brand/size, single/double axle, drop down door
Cooker(s) - Backwoods, Spicewine, others, like/dislikes, ease of use and cleaning, options, etc.
Grill - ?
Rolling Cabinetry - for storage of utensils, etc.
Folding Stainless Steel Table - for prep and turn ins

Thanks.
With the price of gas I suggest two of the smallest cookers you can get by with and a small fuel efficient 4 cylinder pickup truck. That's the way I'm thinking of heading.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

What is your budget?

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

$6-7000.00

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I am in denial when it comes to the gas issue. . I'll just take out an other mortgage.

My recommendations.

Drop down ramp in the back is a must. Unless you go with a permanent platform. how are you gonna unload thru barndoor style back?

double axle torsion flex..... don't wast your time with a single. They squirm, and you will quickly exceed weight limits on a 5k. I got dual 3500 and wish I went with the dual 5K. I went with a car hauler, but had it built without the beaver tail. The car hauler is built for extra weight with 12inch on center floor beams.

minimum 30 amp service box.. spread 5-6 outlets around inside and put one on the outside. Set the box HIGH up!!

forget the SS table. unnecessary weight and expense. I took mine out and replaced it with heavy plastic tables from costco. Much better.

Cooker.. your call..Mine carries the cooker of the day, from a big honkin Klose, a spicebox, or a bandera and WSMs. I had the a mounting system fabricated so the cookers bolt thru the floor with 1" threaded rods to the cross members in the floor.

if your cooking inside the trailer, why do u need rolling cabinetry? Lowes, HD and sears has heavy duty, PVC type cabinets that are lightweight and bolt to the walls. Anything that you can rollout, can also roll around during transit.

A craftsman toolbox is a great utensil draw.. top draws are for cooking stuff, bottom ones are tools and hardware. They lock and cna take the abuse.

Grill? A kettle.. why need anything else, unless u have other plans for it besides crispy skin or dinner. ??

Get the luan or vinyl covering on the walls. The aluminum covering gets banged up easy.

Line the walls with wire racks, they are inexpensive and lightweight. SS stuff is nice to look at, but adds alot of weight. I pulled my SS shelves down before i even complete the project and replaced them with wire closet organizer type stuff where ever one fit.

Flooring. Commercial grade tile. NOT single sheet. That way when a tiles gets ruined, you can replace it. the single sheet, is easier, but your screwed when your cooker or whatever cuts a tiles. Also, the floors flex. i made a mistake of gluing directly to the plywood. it seems there is something that i should have put on top of the plywood to allow the tiles to give a little. A few of my tiles have cracked where the plywood seam is underneath.

Heres a look at mine.. 8.5 x 16 with a 2 foot v-nose.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
BBQchef33

Quote:
$6-7000.00
including the cooker?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #7
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Final question, I think.

How much weight will your current tow vehicle pull?
Safely pull, not just a "rating".
Are you prepared to buy a larger tow vehicle in addition to your current budget $$ ?

The two limits I had to work with were the budget ?? and the towing capacity.

TIM

Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #8
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Final question, I think.

How much weight will your current tow vehicle pull?
Safely pull, not just a "rating".
Are you prepared to buy a larger tow vehicle in addition to your current budget $$ ?

The two limits I had to work with were the budget ?? and the towing capacity.

TIM
uh... yeah.. what he said.

answer that before ya read mine..

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

$6-7K total.

E350 Super Duty Van.

I would like to downsize the vehicle too - F150, F250 max.

The goal with the enclosed trailer is to be able to unload a couple cookers, a couple tables, the shelter, and a drawer unit. And have it double duty as a H-D hauler.

I don't want to cook or prep inside.

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
uh... yeah.. what he said.

answer that before ya read mine..
A farking Caddie for a tow vehicle? I guess you guys from LI know how to roll in style!

Very nicely done. What was your budget?

Boston Hills BBQ Fest

Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
A farking Caddie for a tow vehicle? I guess you guys from LI know how to roll in style!
Don't be so sure. I nearly got seasick going to Harpoon in it.....

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Mike,
You have lots of towing capacity--that was a real limiter on my CheKeeta project.

Here is what I would do.

#1--Select the cooker YOU want and need. That will give you the weight, dimensions, and "budget $$" remaining.

#2--Price and select the "furnishings" you need. Estimate room required and "budget $$" remaining.

#3--Take "budget $$" remaining and see if you can find a trailer that meets your needs.

If not--return to step #1 and start all over.
Or, find a way to increase "budget $$"

You HAVE to have a cooker that works for you, and the "furnishings" are needed in some form.
Those are the areas to start the planning to see where the $$ lead you.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.

TIM

Old 03-24-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
BBQchef33

The Escalade can tow it, but sometimes you wonder who's in charge. Until I put the sway bars on it, and learned how to distribute the weight, it was definitively and adventure towing it. It's real cool when you see the entire side of the trailer facing you in the read view mirrors.

Im not 100% sure but i think the trailer ran about 6000-6500 and the inside was under about 2-3K in materials and supplies. Theres gotta be a thread in here with the details from last year.. I'll start lookin.

but why would you want to unload and cook outside?

With these, you pull in, plug in and your ready. Unloading is so much easier and theres no unloading when your home. Just replenish supplies and your ready for the next round.

I found that this past season, i started preparing the day before the contest with some easy shopping, instead of taking a week off to shop and load the trailer.

i went 16 foot so i had a place to hang out and to sleep. If thats not a requirment a 10-12 foot is probably big enuf and costs less.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 03-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

BBQCHEF that is absolutley one of the nicest trailers I have seen. That is sweet!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

The main reason I don't want to prep and cook inside is the multi-use concept. Besides, I make a mess and I'd rather that occur outside. Plus the fire hazard. I plan to store the cookers and the trailer in my barn. Buy the meat, hook up, and go.

You have to understand that towing around a big Klose gave us very little room inside the van. Every year we lightened the load, and last year going to Harpoon - the amout of stuff was just ridiculous for four adults. All that got loaded on the cooker was an ezup, two coolers, and a trash barrel. Charcoal was loaded on the racks, and the wood rack was loaded with cherry and hickory.

Everything else, including all the utensils, tables, clothes, etc. was loaded ceiling high in the van.

You have no idea how nice it sounds to be able to use a wheel dolly to unload a couple cookers, a craftsman rolling tool box, a couple tables, and a big tent. That would be it. We only use electricity for patio lights and our electric knife at turn ins. I can get real spartan.

I did contact a guy who had a mobile workshop for sale - Haulmark 30' full of cabinets, and outdoor flood lights. If the price is right, but then an issue of space at a contest becomes a thought.... Haven't heard back from him yet.

Boston Hills BBQ Fest