What a sick...

blues brother

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
feeling I got when Chuck Ray and Dennis Schmidt wheeled up to our cooksite with a turn in box just 15 minutes after chicken turn in at the FBA cook in Jesup, Georgia.
Chuck said "you have been disqualified in chicken, this is a meat only contest."
He placed the box on the table, opened it and told to find what was wrong...it took me 15-20 seconds to see the fricken Q-Tip in the edge of the box(hinge side). Must have been left in the lid and overlooked...DUH!
This was some fine chicken...I think it would have been in the top five.
The box will be food saved, frozen and brought to the Triple Crown in Florida with us as a reminder.
That rookie mistake shook us and we did not do very well. Tenth place ribs is the only walk we made.
My hat is off to Chuck and Dennis. They are gentelmen and handled our mistake with grace and professionalism. I thank them for that.

BTW...For those of you that did not go to Jesup...YOU missed a great contest. Supper friday and breakfast saturday was the bomb! The organizers were outstanding. Booger, Ed, and Matt and all the rest I did not meet, Thanks for a great weekend.
I will be back next year!
Mike

Wow, that just sucks. I suppose a white Q-tip in a hurry could be overlooked. I like using the long one's from the Doc's office. They have a wood tone stick and would be hard to miss.

We are gonna make a few changes...colored q-tip, only one working on the box, one to check the box.
A real stupid mistake that cost us a lot of money.

Mike--I had that "sinking feeling" when the Reps pulled up to your site.

I know it took the wind out of your sails for the rest of the day.

BUMMER!!!!!!

TIM

For a comp rookie...very, very rookie, may I ask what the purpose of Q-Tips are?

Making mistakes like that always drives me nuts...

id think that the qtips were used to touch up/cleanup sauce/adjust garnsh(with saucy fingers, etc)..

I use soft bristle paint brushes in 3-4 sizes. (The kind artists use for oil/water colors, like these, not the ones for painitng you house.:) The soft bristle ones are great for touching up the glazing at the last minute.

Hard to leave a big brush in the box

Hey Tim,
I am having nightmares...giant Q-Tips are chasing me...aahhhggg!
We let it take over the rest of the day and did not do well overall because of it.

I really enjoyed the cook. We had not seen Wayne(primetime) in four years. It was good to see them again. You and Munchee and DW were great to cook beside as well.

We are going to try for Elba...but winning only $50 is gonna make it tough to do since we are going to the Triple Crown. Betcha won't see no Q-Tips in our site!

Sick feeling....join the club, saw one of the kcbs officials heading to my site, turned in ribs instead of chicken. Had one minute to get chicken in, didnt happen. Ribs got eaten up by the cops. (who said they were great btw) So we didnt have our best ribs to put in the box, but still scraped together a 22nd out of 45

I had ribs in Dubque last year DQ'd because there was a tiny spec of foil the size of a pin head on the bottom of a rib and the judge just happened to turn the rib over after he took a bite. The reps said they were the best ones that day too which made me feel sicker.

Then earlier this year we were talking to a guy next to us and he was worried he would get a DQ in chicken for not being cooked through. My wife was telling him our rib story and what do you know, he was at that table in Dubque next to the judge who had the foil.

If the ribs were as good as they said, might have placed us in the top 5 in ribs and definately a top 10.

That's a shame! i can see how it could have been missed. One team next to us at Libertyville, IL were DQ'd in chicken for having a small piece of foil in their box. It was their first comp. They left so fast after turn ins that I hope the DQ didn't discourage them from trying again.

That's a shame! i can see how it could have been missed. One team next to us at Libertyville, IL were DQ'd in chicken for having a small piece of foil in their box. It was their first comp. They left so fast after turn ins that I hope the DQ didn't discourage them from trying again.

Didn't know that Ron. What a shame. Iv'e seen this happen with the foil at least 6-7 times this year and not just with new teams. To me it's just not worth the chance to cut ANYTHING on foil. The desposable cutting boards are a great option, and also make for an easy cleanup. If thier to pricey for some, then a regular cutting board is the way to go IMHO.

I was judging at a comp earlier this summer. Roc City I think. And the judge next to me found a toothpick in a piece of chicken. But this was *after* he had turned in his judging card and had gone back for a few more bites on some of the better pieces while waiting for ribs. The rep came over and said it was ok. If he had caught it before, it would be a DQ, but because he found it after then there was nothing to be done. But the rep did contact the team. They said that they had six toothpicks in the chicken, and could track down only five before turn in. They were hoping the sixth had dropped on the ground. I bet they also had "that sinking feeling" as the rep rolled up, but it was unfounded because no DQ. It was good chicken, too.

--frank in Wilson, NY

Didn't know that Ron. What a shame. Iv'e seen this happen with the foil at least 6-7 times this year and not just with new teams. To me it's just not worth the chance to cut ANYTHING on foil. The desposable cutting boards are a great option, and also make for an easy cleanup. If thier to pricey for some, then a regular cutting board is the way to go IMHO.

It was the two young guys that we brought over for the 9:22 shot. They told me about it just before rib turn-ins. They turned everything else in fine. I went to talk to them shortly after turn ins and they were gone.

Sick feeling....join the club, saw one of the kcbs officials heading to my site, turned in ribs instead of chicken. Had one minute to get chicken in, didnt happen. Ribs got eaten up by the cops. (who said they were great btw) So we didnt have our best ribs to put in the box, but still scraped together a 22nd out of 45

Yeah, that really sucked. I'm sure those turn-in orders are burned in your brain forever now, huh?

I was judging at a comp earlier this summer. Roc City I think. And the judge next to me found a toothpick in a piece of chicken. But this was *after* he had turned in his judging card and had gone back for a few more bites on some of the better pieces while waiting for ribs. The rep came over and said it was ok. If he had caught it before, it would be a DQ, but because he found it after then there was nothing to be done. But the rep did contact the team. They said that they had six toothpicks in the chicken, and could track down only five before turn in. They were hoping the sixth had dropped on the ground. I bet they also had "that sinking feeling" as the rep rolled up, but it was unfounded because no DQ. It was good chicken, too.
I was judging at De Soto, KS a couple of weeks ago and the judge next to me found a brush bristle in one of his chicken samples. The rep said basically the same thing - that since the judging for that category was completed and the cards had been turned in that it was too late for it to be an issue.

My feeling is that the reps try to cut the cooks as much slack as they can when it comes to foreign objects and everything else really. The judges are almost always reminded how much time, money and effort goes into competing and to please think at least twice before scoring someone's entry down.

Back