First smoke, st. Louis vs. baby back

D

deezdrama

I planned to buy about 3 racks of loin backs but all cubs food has was tiny 1lb baby back ribs for 7-9$. I got one of them and a rack of st. loius cut spare ribs.

Ive read online alot of people prefer st. louis style spares better than baby backs- I doubt that- but for the money you do get alot more meat- so Im hoping to smoke my st. louis cut ribs decent and hope they end up being pretty close to the baby backs- but have never cooked st. Louis style or spare ribs before....

Do I prepare and smoke them the same as the baby backs? I read on another thread about bending and cutting cartilage- what is this about?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also- They didnt even have large rolls of jimmy dean sausage so had to buy two $7 ea. generic sausage rolls for my fatties Im going to cook - hope they turn out ok.

Anyway I plan on removing the membrane from the ribs,cutting trimming fat, mustard/dry rub and let sit in fridge for a couple hours, then smoke them at 220 degrees for 2 hours, spritz them apple juice foil and cook for 2 more hours, remove from foil and add bbq sauce then cook for another hour.

Does this sound right- any suggestions?

I would pull the membrain off all racks. The BB's will take about an hour less cooking time.

You should be fine on the fatties!

I've done them that way and they turnout a little too mushy for my liking. But thats just my opinion, my wife and my sister like them that way. I prefer smoking them about 3hrs until you don't feel the stiffness anymore when you lift then. Then I foil them and let them rest about an hour. sometimes i pop them back on with sauce just long enough to let the sauce caramelize a bit. Be warned I am strictly an amateur backyarder who only wishes he could turn out the kind of Q some of these pros do.

Good plan. But I'd plan on 5 hours for the St. Louis cut and 4 for the loin backs. I never foil my ribs. 2 hours in foil seems an awful lot. You're likely to end up with mush. Check after 1 hours in the foil.

thanks for the tips guys- I got the cream cheese pepper jack onion jalepenio fatties rolled and in the freezer now- getting ready to prepare the ribs- I will be back and start a new thread with pron later- thanks

thanks for the tips guys- I got the cream cheese pepper jack onion jalepenio fatties rolled and in the freezer now- getting ready to prepare the ribs- I will be back and start a new thread with pron later- thanks

Now that is a fattie worth waiting for. 8)

Id go less than 2 hours foiled too. They'll be mushy type soft/tender. $.02

thanks guys- the ribs are about 3 hours ino it now- with spritz with apple juice and foil for maybee 30-45 minutes then brushon bbq sauce and finish them- the fatty is looking good- the smell is great!

Back