Another smoker buying thread

Pete's Meat

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just went to my first KCBS competition, and I'm hooked...

I've been cooking on my El Cheap-o Brinkman Smokin-Pit-Pro for four or five years now, and I feel like my food looked just as good if not better then some of the stuff I saw out there today. I know in order to start doing comps I need to up grade my cooker, and my wife suggest maybe $2000ish for a new to me smoker...

I know that I want a off set stick burner, I love tending a fire even if it means no sleep. So if money was no issue I'd be the next person in line for a Shirley...

Where do you guys suggest I start looking at that price range? I'm on CL every day, but out west our options can be a little limited.

Also, I'm not opposed to buldging, I have access to welders in the family who will work for beer and BBQ, if you guys think that'd be a good way to go.

Also, if I still love BBQ after more experience, I may venture into a little vending/catering someday... I don't know if that will make much different in suggestions

Voidecho, I was just looking at your post. How was your experience workin with those guys? I'm headed to the Bay Area in a couple weeks for the super cross at Levi's stadium, and was thinking I could stop by on my way to check things out

Do you want a trailer smoker or one that you can load onto a trailer? Call Paul at Shirley and see what he can do in your price range. But remember that you will have to add for shipping.

If there is something locally, either used or a quality builder you may be better off.

Voidecho, I was just looking at your post. How was your experience workin with those guys? I'm headed to the Bay Area in a couple weeks for the super cross at Levi's stadium, and was thinking I could stop by on my way to check things out

They've been great to deal with. I ask a lot of questions and I've changed my mind, and my order, quite a few times and they've been quick to respond.

They should be starting my build any time now and I'm hoping to pick it up around 4/10.

I've mostly dealt wth Ken, but Ryan has responded to a few of my questions too. I visited their shop about six months ago. They don't typically have finished smokers sitting around so you may only be able to check out builds in process. You'd have to check with Ken on what they have available to see when you're in the area. I was lucky and they had a 54x24 model there when I stopped by. It was very impressive.

If you stop by there in a couple weeks you may get to see my smoker.

Shirley has a 24x50 patio model for $1,500 and with a warmer its $1,950. That's a very good price for that much space.

Just have to deal with shipping and a pretty long wait list.

I can fix anything but a broken heart and weld anything but the crack of dawn and I would buy a Shirley. Just sayin

I know that I want a off set stick burner, I love tending a fire even if it means no sleep.
I know a lot of guys that had thought they convinced themselves of the same thought. That is until they saw me cooking with an insulated vertical, set it forget it and consistent. Nothing bad to say about stick burner offsets they're great I just value my time and sleep too much to mess with one. If I was only cooking once a month or so I'd go back to an offset stick burner.

Back