Smoking chicken halves or quarters

herman mack

Reaction score
Any tips on smoking good tasting chicken. temp, times etc. Never been a big chicken fan but need to learn for my health

Herman at the bottom of the main page is a Google bar. Type in Chicken and you will see many many threads ref; chicken
That searchbar applies only to this forum.

Most people recommend what some would call higher temperatures. 275-325. This helps achieve a crispy skin instead that rubbery stuff.

Chicken is a blank canvas. The flavors you add come through nicely. High heat indirect works wonders

As said above, hot and fast will do well. Not sure what you're cooking on but don't use much flavoring wood. Poultry sucks up smoke like a sponge. use a mild flavored wood. I like pecan or apple myself. Have fun and post pics of your cook. :-D

You could always try the marinate in Italian dressing route. Works pretty good...

Hot and fast, but be careful not to dry it out. I use apple wood and no other seasoning. I may sauce at the end or serve on the side depending on my mood.

bbqbull gave some very good advice! It took me a while before I found the google custom search and figured it was searching only here! I now do a search before I cook something new or just want to find out what others are doing and have found the best recipes here for everything I could possibly want to cook!!

Rick!!

I do chickens hot and fast. Baste with butter, oj, and rub . the skin stays crispy and gets a nice color. 300*-350. Litehouse makes a really good poultry herb mix that you can add rub to as well.

Back