Ribs rolling at over 300...

IlliniQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm doing two slabs of St. Louis style spares today. Got a new maverick for my birthday and figured I'd monitor the temp of the smoker to see what it does (previously just using the "ideal" range on the ECB thermo).

So, I've got it settled in same place I always do, right in the middle of "ideal" and the maverick is reading 315 and holding steady. I think this has just led to new paranoia. Any thoughts? Should I just let it roll at 315 or do I need to try to choke it back some?

Last ribs I did were at the same spot in "ideal" but I have no clue how consistent that gauge is. The maverick is holding steady for the last hour and a half...

It's sad how easy it is to get inside your own head in these situations. Last ribs were amazing with the exact same conditions, and yet now that I know it's running "too hot" I'm second guessing. Thanks for the reassurance - gonna crack a beer and let it run

You were cooking hot and Fast and didn't even know it! Ribs do great at 300ish, sounds like you're good to go :thumb:

let it go. I cook ribs above 300 degrees all the time. Just keep an eye out on the color of the bark. If it starts getting too dark for you, wrap them up.

Agreed! I was afeared of hot and fast until I was having issues with getting my temps under 300°, so I just let it roll at around 300° for the cook. I was then convinced it was the way to go. Dang, you makin' me hungry.

What are you cooking on? I typically like to be around 275 on ribs, but I don't worry if it shoots up on me. Depending on the cooker though, 300+ could char a little bit. Wrap if they start to get too dark.

What are you cooking on? I typically like to be around 275 on ribs, but I don't worry if it shoots up on me. Depending on the cooker though, 300+ could char a little bit. Wrap if they start to get too dark.

Brinkmann gourmet. Water pan is full. Ribs are looking pretty good, not too dark yet. Been on about 3 hours.

cooking over royal oak lump and cherry chunks. temps settled down to about 275 after about the first 90 minutes, too.

planning to let 'em go another hour or so, then yank 'em and throw some wings on.

thanks for all the quick replies - you guys rock!

I smoke ribs a little over 300F from time to time.. they taste the same as wehn I do them at 275F.

I just got a Maverick 732 delivered to me today. I am curious to see what temp I've really been running at in my Mini WSM for the past 8 months. I use a Weber Q thermo right under my cooking grate. I think it's been pretty accurate because I pointed an infrared thermo at the tip of the sensor and it read about the same as the dial gauge.

Last ribs I did I bumped my temp up to the 300ish range and they turned out better than any done previously.

They were ridiculously good, super tender, great smoke ring, tender as I've ever made... Too stuffed to upload photos right now, but I'll get some up later this evening.

Back