Authentic Delicious 19th Century Virginia Brunswick (Barbecue) Stew! Pron & Recipe

Wow, that stew looks really good! :clap: :clap2: :clap:

Here are some pics of a fundraising Brunswick Stew Cook event held in North Carolina back in 1940. Marion Post Wolcott, 1910-1990, photographer.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
i went to print out a couple of these recipes and realized i forgot a step for my version.

after sauteeing the onions, and before adding the tomatoes i pan fried the chicken heart, liver and gizzard, diced them and added them into the pot.

P1020435.jpg

This was a few weeks back... The pic is ghastly bad on color; the corn in there is white, and those baby limas look yeller... It was much better lookin' in real life.

My recipe starts with Saiko's Brunswick Stew recipe that you can find here. I add in a little more rub and spices, and also add in baby limas and diced potatoes. For tomatoes I mix in stewed and some Rotel (medium).

I'm pretty sure that this is one of the best threads ever.:thumb: I do love some good Brunswick stew. It's kind of like BBQ. Everybody has their own version of it, and most of them are pretty dang good!:becky:

By the way.....I also like reading the history. Great job Boshizzle.

I'm not much for road-kill or ground innerds that some will put in it. While I have deviated a time or two, more often than not I'm grilling/bbq'n some boneless chicken thighs and mixing that in with some previous BBQ'd and cut up pulled pork. One rare case I made enough briskets and chuckies that we had a few pounds of BBQ'd pulled beef to put in there. It was amazing.

Back