Turkey Legs

Nitrofly

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey brothers..

I just became a Full Fledged Farker Oh Boy :biggrin:

I have a question about turkey legs.. I have a couple of
ideas I want to try But I can't find fresh turkey legs.
don't want to have to buy 12 turkeys just to play with
the legs.

Thanx in advance :icon_blush:

I know there is a question imbedded in here somewhere.

Are you saying you can't find fresh, meaning you are finding frozen, or are you asking where to get them?

I have seen them at a number of area meat markets, but I cannot recall if they are fresh or frozen

Why do you need a fresh one? I use the frozen ones all the time, thawing in to refer first, and they come out great.

Check out all the groceries and butcher shops around you and you might find the fresh turkey legs. Ask the meat dept folks if you can order some. I prefer turkey thighs which are available fresh at only one market in my town.

i'm willing to bet any turkey legs you find outside the thanksgiving time period are frozen or have been previously frozen. even here at the free range turkey farm closeby, they only have fresh around the holiday.

what is it you are going to do with them?

i'm willing to bet any turkey legs you find outside the thanksgiving time period are frozen or have been previously frozen. even here at the free range turkey farm closeby, they only have fresh around the holiday.

what is it you are going to do with them?
Not around here. We are in the mecca of Turkey farms and production plants. Honey Suckle White products are available fresh in just about every grocery store here locally. Whole birds, legs, thighs, wings, necks, livers, gizzards, and burger.

Not around here. We are in the mecca of Turkey farms and production plants. Honey Suckle White products are available fresh in just about every grocery store here locally. Whole birds, legs, thighs, wings, necks, livers, gizzards, and burger.

i knew that was gonna happen. how much do i owe ya?

Fresh wings, necks and gizzards......man, I'm jealous.

I'm willing to use frozen turkey legs.
I don't see them around me at all
I'm in wormtown ma. I work in cambridge
I just never see them the only ones I ever
see are smoked turkey legs..

Well, I'm not a liver or a gizzard man and necks and wings are not my forte' but they do make good broth ans dressings.

I'm not a liver guy either. Listen, the next time you see necks, grab some. Either pressure cook them for 5 minutes or low boil/simmer them for 10 mnutes or so, then add rub and go on the the smoker until nice and tender, saucing them at the end. They are really good this way.

The cook time will vary....at 250° they may take an hour or so. You will figure out the best time.

Congrats on the "Full Fledged!"

Frozen is fine. Be sure to check how long they have been frozen. I made the mistake of buying frozen one time, and these things were freezer burned really bad. When they thawed out, they were spongy and dry. Nasty things.

Livers, hearts, gizzards, and necks, oh my. My dad and I call those Chef's treats. Toss them on the grill and let them cook. Good stuff.

Where do you suppose vendors get them for resale at festivals and the like. Can you get them with the tendons and bones pulled out already or is that something you would have to do? Anyone have a source?
Dave

I want to say it's not possible to get them with bones and tendons removed since every leg I've ever had at a festival, etc has always had the tendons and bones in it.
But then, I could be wrong.

I want to say it's not possible to get them with bones and tendons removed since every leg I've ever had at a festival, etc has always had the tendons and bones in it.

I remember awhile back on a forum I can't remember which, there was discussion about them. One method was to take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull them out from the small end. They made it sound easy but I thought they also mention getting them at a higher price of course already done. Wish I could remember were I read that.
Dave

I remember awhile back on a forum I can't remember which, there was discussion about them. One method was to take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull them out from the small end. They made it sound easy but I thought they also mention getting them at a higher price of course already done. Wish I could remember were I read that.
Dave
I'd hate to be the guy who has to do 500 of them for an event.:eek:

I'd hate to be the guy who has to do 500 of them for an event.:eek:

Well it ant like I got something better to do with my life, NOT!!:rolleyes:
Dave

Would it even be possible to remove those long, thin bones when it's raw? Seems like it would tear up the meat in the process. Considering these things sell at fairs for no less than $5 each, even by paying more for ones that had them removed, a person could still make a killing on them.
I can always find fresh at WalMart. Have you tried there?

Back