Brisket-Is bigger always better?

SCSmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have heard from several sources that they always prefer to get the biggest brisket they can find. Do you guys use this as a general rule? If so are you looking for total weight, thickness in the flat, or something else?

I've never heard that. I can understand why you wouldn't want a SMALL brisket... it would have a tendancy to want to dry out quicker.
I prefer around a 12lb brisket. Some people have great success with cooking just the flats, I have not.

Brisket, like any other beef, you're looking for a cut with great marbling throughout. I usually pick up the brisket by one end, and judge how much fat is has by how limp it is. So if I'm going through a case, I'll find the one that's most limp is going to be your best one, regarless of size.

I cook, on average, 13 pound briskets, as that is what I can fit on my bullets (haven't cooked a comp brisket on anything else). I like as big of a point and as thick and, even more importantly, evenly thick flat as I can get with that size. FWIW, one of my highest scores ever was with an 10.5 pound packer.

I'm still pretty new at this, but i also like 12-14 pounders. I did one 16 lb packer at a comp, and ended up having to cut the ends off of the slices to get them in the box. I could have trimmed before cooking, but I thought of that too late.

If cooking a packer, a 12-14lb packer is best in my opinion. I have had to cook a 17lb one twice and ended up with my two worst brisket showings. Packers this size just seem to be tougher. At least for me anyways. I have also had really good luck with flats in the 9lb range. A flat this size usually has a bit of the point left on it.

ITs all about the fat

My rule is better is better. Get a prime or a wagyu with the most intermuscular fat you can find and learn to cook it. I find they are a lot more consistent than choice once you get used to them. And they have a more beefy flavor.

Brett

I prefer briskets in the 12 - 15 lbs range, but I'll take a smaller brisket with nice marbling and a thick, even flat over a bigger one any day. My timing is all based on the 12 - 15 lb range so I really try to not go smaller than 12, but I have.

I don't so much care what the overall weight is, but it had better have a decent point on it. The ones we cooked at the American Royal were the thinnest farking briskies I've ever seen...

I used to think bigger is better, but I have had just as much success with 12-14 as I have with 14-17. Now, I did get 3rd out of 47 with a 21 lb brisket. That thing took up a lot of space.

12-14 lb packers or 7-8 lb flats here...I look for uniform thickness in the flat and limber as a wet dish rag...

My rule is better is better. Get a prime or a wagyu with the most intermuscular fat you can find and learn to cook it. I find they are a lot more consistent than choice once you get used to them. And they have a more beefy flavor.

Brett
I agree the bigger the better for me. I had a couple 19 lbers for the royal and did decent. I've got a 19 & a 21 lber I'm gonna wack up tonight for Bentonville this weekend.

As big as you can get them. With a nice thick flat. A properly trimmed brisket and you have no problem getting the slices in the box from a large brisket. Nothing beats a nice 1 1/2" thick slice of a flat. You dont get that with a 12# brisket. That includes wagyu, that tend to have thinner flats.

18-21 lb. with a thick flat is what we are looking to cook at contests.

As big as you can get them. With a nice thick flat. A properly trimmed brisket and you have no problem getting the slices in the box from a large brisket. Nothing beats a nice 1 1/2" thick slice of a flat. You dont get that with a 12# brisket. That includes wagyu, that tend to have thinner flats.

Yup.

I'm still pretty new at this, but i also like 12-14 pounders. I did one 16 lb packer at a comp, and ended up having to cut the ends off of the slices to get them in the box. I could have trimmed before cooking, but I thought of that too late.

If you cut down the width while you are trimming, you don't have this problem. That's why I like to trim at home... It gives me time to correct the stuff I forgot :thumb:

I have limited space, only WSM 18 inchers now, but i usually do 10-12 lb packers. Not sayin you cant do great with bigger, but the bigger the brisket, usually the older the cow, thus makin it tougher. Obviously, many many do good with big ones. Also, Wagyu do tend to have a thinner flat.

Back