1st place pork steaks, 2nd place ribs

King

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all,

I entered my second amateur competition ever at the Crawford County Fair BBQ contest and did really well.

1st place in Pork Steaks...
View attachment 55402

2nd Place Ribs...
View attachment 55403

My trophies and prizes...
View attachment 55404

Thanks to the brethren forum for all the advise and inspiration for great BBQ from great folks.

Last edited:
I appreciate all your kind words.

I definitely caught the competition bug...I had lots of fun hanging with folks I knew and meeting new friends.

congrats, I am an extremely competitive person, but I dont know if I want to get that way with my cooking. I have the ability to put so much pressure on myself that I think I would suck the fun out of it for me. That and I have always had the notion that I cook for myself and if anybody doesnt like it.... there is always oscar meyer for them.:thumb: hope you are finding it fun as well as challenging.

Now you've done it, off the deep end and congratulations

congrats, I am an extremely competitive person, but I dont know if I want to get that way with my cooking. I have the ability to put so much pressure on myself that I think I would suck the fun out of it for me. That and I have always had the notion that I cook for myself and if anybody doesnt like it.... there is always oscar meyer for them.:thumb: hope you are finding it fun as well as challenging.

A lot of folks on here seem like they have fun doing the competitions, so I decided to give it a shot.

My first amateur contest was not fun for me, it was a lot of work because I didn't know what to expect. However, I did do well...3rd in pork steaks and ribs and 4th overall. After some time had passed I thought about what I could have done differently, I read more archives from this forum on doing competitions (I now knew what to search for after getting one under my belt).

I did a lot of practicing during that time and 9 months later I felt like I was ready to compete again. This time I was determined to be relaxed and have some fun with it...it paid off.

Even after the worst possible morning I ever had couldn't stop me from having a great time...my garage door broke, WSM fell out of the trailer, had to turn around because we forgot the kids shoes, pulled over ump-teen times to adjust and tighten ratchet straps....45 minutes behind schedule!!!

I wouldn't change a thing.

Sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on the walks.

Awesome! I'm just looking forward to going to my first comp just to see what its like!

Great job!

Nice job, everything looks great. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one that carries a sweat towel when cooking. hehheheee.

Back