MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Default Brisket on an OTS

Heres one for you guys that I have never seen before

I have a 11 lb packer that I am going to cook this weekend.

Normally, I would just cook it on my offset. But it will be occupied

I have a small vertical that will do the job. I was thinking about wrapping a beer can in foil and arching the briskey on it so it would fit. It has a pit controller on it and will run forever with no issies

Still may do that.

I hooked up the controller to my 22.5 OTS and it works fine. I am thinking of using it instead because of the real estate I can just lay the meat on the grill as usual

I had the bright idea of just taking my coal pan out of my small vertical and putting it into the OTS after removing the coal grate on the OTS

this actually works really well, and I know that it will have enough capacity to burn through the whole cook (see pic)

which brings me to my question.

My concern is that the briskey will be real close to the coals. I could slide a foil pan under it but it will be roasting hot, I dont know if that a good idea or not.

what so you all think? I am thinking of just using the small vertical with the beer can wrapped in foil, the meat will shrink down some anyway

Please dont tell me to put it on my offset. Aint happening

the other reason I want to use this is I need to leave it unattended for a few hours so the offset wont work for that

I know there is the snake method etc, but I want to try this

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1044[1].jpg (51.9 KB, 138 views)
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

terra cotta diffuser?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Fire_Mgmt
Knows what a fatty is.

I say use a large foil pan filled with water as a heat sink and then either use a roasting rack or a couple of rib racks to lay your brisket on. This way, your brisket doesn't boil in the water, drippings are caught, moist cook chamber and your meat isn't affected by the close proximity of the coals.
Fire_Mgmt is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Mgmt View Post
I say use a large foil pan filled with water as a heat sink and then either use a roasting rack or a couple of rib racks to lay your brisket on. This way, your brisket doesn't boil in the water, drippings are caught, moist cook chamber and your meat isn't affected by the close proximity of the coals.
are you saying lay the pan right on the coals? that what I would have to do with this arrangement

I am going to have to use more coals that whats in the pic. It will be over the lip of the coal pan. whats in the pic was just for a test run
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 09-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
are you saying lay the pan right on the coals? that what I would have to do with this arrangement

I am going to have to use more coals that whats in the pic. It will be over the lip of the coal pan. whats in the pic was just for a test run
If you have a second grate and some bricks you can rest the meat on it on top of the regular grate.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrederhead View Post
If you have a second grate and some bricks you can rest the meat on it on top of the regular grate.
good idea but I dont have a second grate

I could use the grate from the small vertical and just just the briskey hang off the ends. Its going to shrink up a bit anyway, would not matter

Good thought

Old 09-19-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Mgmt View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he may be saying put coals on the side w/ a water pan in the middle as most weber grill people do when using a OTS/OTG & use the other to raise the meat higher in the lid so farther away from the fire. You may have to add more coals/wood in the long run along the way to maintain the fire
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzillas View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he may be saying put coals on the side w/ a water pan in the middle as most weber grill people do when using a OTS/OTG & use the other to raise the meat higher in the lid so farther away from the fire. You may have to add more coals/wood in the long run along the way to maintain the fire
thanks I know about indirect but the idea is to load with coals then let her rip until done

that pan will burn for almost 20 hours chock full using the pit controller in my vertical. I see no reason why it would not be similar in the kettle

Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Make a DIY SmokeyNador for $13 - 2 perforated pizza pans bent just so with a fuel loader hole cut in......

SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
SmittyJonz

Or just toss one perforated pizza pan right on your charcoal pan.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Bludawg

Why not just use the ring of fire?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Round Stone cooking pan maybe?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 AM   #13
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

thanks for the thoughts

I am going to use charderheads idea. But instead of bricks, i am just going to try using a doubled up foil pan and just lay the grate right on that, the pans I have a plenty strong enough. If it wont hold the weight, then I can use bricks to support it.

I dont want to lay anything right on the coals or the charcoal pan, it might screw the airflow up

Ring of fire I will try one day, but not for this cook