KCBS Board Meeting

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Rod or Merl,

Anything you can formally share from the KCBS Board Meeting?

Honestly Todd, not really. It's already out that pellet cookers will remain legal. At this time, that's about as much as there is to say.

Rod

Hopefully the pellet cooker issue will officially be put to bed (at least from an official rules standpoint, if not from the unofficial debate), and not brought up for review next year at this time...

I thought it was not pellet cookers.... but all thermostatically controlled/forced air devices. Meaning no Guru/Olde Hickory/Traeger, etc... that was brought up at the rules meeting.

I used a Guru on my Double-walled KF, and I used an FEC for the last 1/2 of the season last year.... so I'm obviously fine with pellet cookers remaining legal:eusa_clap I like the good Dr's take on the subject.

I doubt that debate will ever go away... in the official realm or bar room banter :cool: And really, it shouldnt go away.... if there are enough people that care that strongly about it, they should be able to go to the rules meetings, etc. and raise it. I'm sure that it makes it as a concern to the board, because enough people express it...

Thanks for the info Rod - as you can let other input out, feel free to do so, in official or unofficial capacity (on the many other topics I'm sure were addressed.

I doubt that debate will ever go away... in the official realm or bar room banter :cool: And really, it shouldnt go away.... if there are enough people that care that strongly about it, they should be able to go to the rules meetings, etc. and raise it. I'm sure that it makes it as a concern to the board, because enough people express it...

It'll never happen. I don't know if too many people are going to take the time and money and go to KC to fight for a change in the rules.

Now if KCBS came into the 90's and have conference call meetings, then mayeb things would start to change.

BrooklynQ said:
Now if KCBS came into the 90's and have conference call meetings, then mayeb things would start to change.

Conf. calls? who needs those... Toll Free trunks are expensive.
We can all use Netmeeting or Centra type software and log in from the couch - post questions, take votes, etc all over the internet. Now I know this internet thing is just a flash in the pan, but it might catch on :wink:

BrooklynQ said:
It'll never happen. I don't know if too many people are going to take the time and money and go to KC to fight for a change in the rules.

Even if 90% of the KCBS members wanted to vote out the electric automation the board would not listen. Have you seen the ads in the Bull Sheet selling those items? The board knows where its bread is buttered.

Yeah Smoker, why don't you and I trade paychecks. I'll send you all of my board checks for the last two years and you send me just one of yours. I know where my bread is buttered. The board on the other hand works for free. On top of that, even if KCBS weren't a 501c4 not-for-profit organization, it would be a very, very small business. Everybody wants to see competition barbecue flourish, or so they say. Step back and look at the big picture. Limiting our competitors is not the way to get there. DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, not that of the board.

Honestly folks, I'm tired of coming under fire every time I discuss a board issue WHEN ASKED. You guys that talk this way know so little about the board and it's processes. I'm done.

Rod

Rod, that's the problem. We know very little about the board. And I don't see the board doing anything to change that. Technology has exisited for YEARS that would allow a more transparent operation of KCBS.

I don't think anyone's picking on you, and I think Smoker was referring to the money KCBS gets as an organization form the advertisers in the Bullsheet. Eliminate the pellet poopers or the gurus or charcoal or tin foil and KCBS would loose advertisers.

I want to see competition BBQ grow, and I think my actions more than back up my words, but KCBS has done nothing to help it grow in NYC. As a matter of fact, numerous calls and emails I made to the KCBS offices asking for help were never returned.

So, Rod as a member of KCBS, I'd like to see a much more responsive board and a much more transparent organization.

If I was guessing, I'd guess that the advertising fees collected for the Bullsheet don't begin to cover the cost of producing the paper.

Smoker and Robert
It's not about advertizing dollars, it's about growth and removing cookers is not growth.

We all get to choice what we will cook on, what spices and techniques we are going to use. A cook decides to use a pit and then after the fact decides that some other pit would allow what ever percieved advantage doesn't mean KCBS should protect that cook from his own choices. Pellet cookers are legal because there source of heat is wood, it has a fuel delivery system so does an offset, the fact that you choose to be that delivery system was your choice.

I have a pellet cooker and a Klose, I compete on the Klose, my choice.

I get paid nothing for being on the Board, when I travel to KC, it's on my own dine. It's a two day trip cause I can't back to Seattle on the same day, no flights. It's my choice just like the cooker I use.

Competition cooking is going to change no matter how we feel about, we can lead, follow or get out of the way.

If you feel the Board is not responsive to you then I suggest you study the candidates and vote for one that supports your position.

My two cents

Transparent: I think most of the Board members respond to every private e mail we receive. I receive plenty and a few calls. Do you read the minutes. Do you let your voice be heard.

Elections: Have you contacted the candidates. I campaigned on the fact I could not contact the board. I did not have an email nor phone number. I have posted board emails. They are the KCBS web.

Before you vote, do you know how candidates feel on the issues you believe are important. Have you gone to the KCBS website to read their answers to the questionnaire. Are they going to be responsive to you. If they are not responsive in their answers now, they may not be when elected.

Please do not vote a candidate because they are a good guy or woman. Do they support the views you believe are important. Will they be responsive to you. And of greatest importance: WILL THEY WORK AND DO THEY HAVE SKILLS SETS WHICH THE BOARD NEEDS.

Think about this before you vote in January. If you have not registered. Go to the KCBS are renew your membership information.
Yours in BBQ
Merl

As a cook I could care less what others are cooking on, I have to worry about me and what I'm cooking on. I'm entering my fifth year as my own cook and I knew the rules when I came into this. It was my choice to buy a large leaky cooker. I could have a bought a pellet cooker but I chose not to.

NYC cooks that are looking for more representation from the KCBS board should consider voting for Linda Mullane. She has represented the North East as a rep, CBJ trainer and BBQ advocate, Just remember to register and vote.

The above "discussion" is reflective of the good and bad qualities of the internet and forums...let's keep this real civil and recognize that "we" have non-competitors, competitors, judges, board members, former board members, and a multitude of "other" category folks reading and chiming in on the "discussion".:rolleyes:

As a third year competitor I've gone through most of the phases - "who cares what others cook on", gee I wish it was a "level" playing field with only (pick one), electronics ought to be (allowed/outlawed - you pick), etc.

After my experience I've decided it doesn't matter what other folks use...I've been beaten by pellet cookers and I've beat pellet cookers, I've had pure stick burners whip my butt and I've beaten pure stick burners, etc. etc. etc.:-D

I currently use a stickburner - I chose it because of volume (I cater, too) and price. I've since seen some high capacity pellet cookers that have me REAL interested - mostly for catering, but I would NOT be opposed to using a FEC500 at competition.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Same goes for Southern Pride and Ole Hickory rigs - SWEEEETTTTT rigs.:-D

Current rules for KCBS limit us to wood and wood products...and those are the rules. I recently helped at the NBBQA "Best of the Best" and "Cooking on the Square" in Douglas, GA...they allow ANY cookers - you just have to declare what type of rig you are using. Second in whole hog (Invitational) using a gasser felt GOOD...:mrgreen: 9th in the OPEN didn't feel as good, BUT - I'd switched to my stickburner...I'm not blaming the cooker AND I/we beat the team using the gasser we'd used for the Invitational.:eek:

Like Jim said, we pick our cookers for a number of reasons...buying a stickburner for competiton and then whining about pellet machines is juvenile...you know what the rules are when you buy your equipment. As you stick around the competition circuit your views will change and so will your equipment.:cool:

If I was buying JUST for competition it would probably be an FEC100 (or two) using the current KCBS and FBA rules. If I could use an Ole Hickory gasser I'd be tempted to buy one...it's interesting that both the Southern Pride and Ole Hickory cookers can run on just wood...:eek:

My next cooker will probably be an FEC500 or possibly FEC750 though I'd like to have a JOS Hog Cooker which is a charcoal/stickburner....but, I digress...I cater, compete, and cook a lot at home. I've learned to use multiple cookers and I have no issue with the current rules. If we want to go back to holes in the ground with preburned coals then I guess I'll buy a backhoe to take to the competitions so I don't have to use a shovel...oh, wait, somebody will say that's an unfair advantage!!:lol:

Bottom line...as Jim, Rod, Ray, and others have stated...vote, select board members that reflect your beliefs, run for office yourself, etc. But don't just fire away on this forum..."friendly fire" is not funny and is not necessary.

kcpellethead said:
Yeah Smoker, why don't you and I trade paychecks. I'll send you all of my board checks for the last two years and you send me just one of yours. I know where my bread is buttered. The board on the other hand works for free. On top of that, even if KCBS weren't a 501c4 not-for-profit organization, it would be a very, very small business. Everybody wants to see competition barbecue flourish, or so they say. Step back and look at the big picture. Limiting our competitors is not the way to get there. DISCLAIMER: This is my opinion, not that of the board.

Honestly folks, I'm tired of coming under fire every time I discuss a board issue WHEN ASKED. You guys that talk this way know so little about the board and it's processes. I'm done.

Rod

Rod,

If you or anyone else took my comment to mean that I thought the board members where in it for financial gain I apologize. That is NOT what I meant. This BBQ stuff is now big business and in my opinion it is detrimental to the sport. As far as looking at the big picture, I have, and I see it's only about growth so you might as well allow cooking on gas and propane.

As far as the voting goes, if Linda does not get enough votes to get on the board, then the board REALLY needs to step back and see how unfair it is to those of us here in the North East. We might need some affirmative action from the board and have them go ahead and just put someone on the board from the North East so we can get some representation.

Smoker said:
We might need some affirmative action from the board and have them go ahead and just put someone on the board from the North East so we can get some representation.

I think you mean an Electoral Process, not affirmative action. :wink:

Plowboy said:
I think you mean an Electoral Process, not affirmative action. :wink:

Your right, sort of. Affirmative action would mean Linda is not qualified when we all know she is WELL qualified.

I agree with some comments that KCBS does not return calls and emails,I gave up a long time ago. The board meetings run better now than in the past and the minutes are very much better than in the years past. Is it enough, I dont think so. I have been down the road with Rod myself asking for more answers because I care about what goes on. That being said Rod is a very honest person and will tell you what he can. The board meetings are open to the members and if I were closer I might go sometimes.

Whoa, there Nelly.

I just want to make sure that my comments were not taken as a slam on any board member personally. Maybe it's just my use of the language as being a uncivilized New Yorker, but there was no "fire" meant in my response.

Too many times, due to the limitatons of keyboard and the instant nature of this communication method, the discussions here break down. A discussion is by its very definition the exchanging of opposing ideas and this is supposed to be a forum for that.

There are a lot of topics brought up in this one thread; the growth and direction of KCBS, the board's response to its members, members participatioin of lack there of, gas, pellet, etc, and of course the most important, voting.

A lot of these topics can be expanded into further discussion.

I think if people step back and realize how hard it is to gain a consensus about anything with a group of people (especially on an internet forum) they MAY have a different perspective about making decisions within a growing organization with so many disiparate interested parties. The KCBS is still a relatively new organization that is growing and evolving rapidly. Establishing all of the rules to manage something as subjective as bbq is tough. I think we are all glad that KCBS exists-- and all of us can fall into the trap of thinking we can do things better than somebody else can-- maybe that's true. Are they perfect? Obviously not, but they've been doing a pretty good job, I think. We all have pet peeves.

Back