MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Pig in ground questions

In about 3 weeks I will be doing a pig in the ground for my oldest son who has earned his Eagle Scout. I have read up on all the proceedures but have 2 questions for those that have done it.

1-where did you get non-galvanized chicken wire? Or what did you use there?
2-what did you use for a lid? I have a piece of aluminum that would cover the hole but not sure it is safe. I could buy a piece of 1/8 plate and use that.

Thanks for any advice, I am getting excited.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Chicken wire I got from lowes, and my local co op. Tin roofing for the top.

In the ground is a pain in the arse. I would build a cinder block smoker...

Old 10-31-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Here is a great post from Cowgirl's blog. It may help...

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...derground.html

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like Mark has gotten quite a bit of feedback previously when he started researching this venture and Jeanie provided quite a bit of guidance already.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=171898
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Looks like Mark has gotten quite a bit of feedback previously when he started researching this venture and Jeanie provided quite a bit of guidance already.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=171898

Yes, I am having difficulty finding non-galvanized chicken wire that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and somebody gave me a piece of aluminum sheet. I don't see what would be wrong with the aluminum, it is unpainted and uncoated.

I do want to go in-ground for all the reasons in my other post.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default Here's

how we usually do it. No chicken wire needed. We just use lots of heavy duty foil, wet burlap, and then lots of baling wire. The wire is more for pulling the packages out and keeping them in tact. You could use any kind of wire/screening. I've seen chain link fencing used. The zinc, etc won't burn off at those temps(unless it's laying right on the hot coals/need to be careful of that), but like you, I would NOT take a chance any way. The aluminum sheet will work just fine as a lid. Make sure to use lots of seasoning, marinade, herbs, etc. before wrapping, since it isn't getting any smoke flavor it can be a bit bland without any seasoning.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ighlight=socks

Some other things to consider. In ground = no monitoring. It's done when it's done. No tending coals etc(unless you have a fire going above ground like we did, but it was also more a bonfire for us too). Prep work before and after the cook are about the same as doing it on a rotiss or over coals. If doing it over coals (above ground), there will be constant tending throughout the cook. Basting, flipping, adding coals etc. Weather is a factor when doing it above ground. Cost can be a factor as well. You will need to buy the blocks, build a grate/rack, and quite possibly spend a bit more on wood or charcoal depending on which route you go. PLUS, flipping the hog etc. requires some assistance. You can pull the packages out of the ground on your own. In ground will allow you more time to hang out with guests and get other things done before the party. Labor...maybe bout the same, but I think maybe a bit less doing it underground. Digging the hole vs build the block pit, the rack(welding may be necessary), etc. Advantages and disadvantages to both, all I know, is we want to see some pics of it all! Congrats to your son!
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP

Last edited by BobBrisket; 11-01-2013 at 02:24 PM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks! That helps.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Go to your local concrete supply yard. Use concrete reinforcing mesh.

Non coated, and heavy enough you can lift the pig with it. Comes in four x eight sheets. Cut to fit your pig
We sandwich the pig between two pieces and bind them together with rebar wire. Then you could flip it if you had access.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

I sure wouldn't bury it, I would build a cinder block pit and either a rotisserie or a grate and get that thing crispy. It will be way easier and taste better to boot.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

I thought an Eagle Scout could do anything! Let him do the cooking ;)
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfejr View Post
Go to your local concrete supply yard. Use concrete reinforcing mesh.

Non coated, and heavy enough you can lift the pig with it. Comes in four x eight sheets. Cut to fit your pig
We sandwich the pig between two pieces and bind them together with rebar wire. Then you could flip it if you had access.
That sounds like what I need. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #12
bizznessman
is one Smokin' Farker

An Eagle Scout would:

1) Track the pig
2) Kill the pig
3) Butcher the pig
4) Cook the pig
5) Eat the pig
6) ............and then make a couple of footballs out of the leftover skin.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Your tin sheet will work fine. Just make sure it's sturdy enough to support the dirt on top when the pit is buried.
Take a weed burner to your hunk of chicken wire. It's not going to be touching the food and like Bob said, temps aren't going to be high enough to make a difference.
Like Bob's bundles...you just need something to hold the meat together when you pull it out of the pit. Baling wire is fine, just use enough to keep the pig from falling apart. Chicken wire is less work, but baling wire does the same thing.

There is no "turning over" of the pig once it is buried.

As far as buried, cinderblock or horizontal pigs. They are all different but danged tasty. Underground pigs are special, moist and tender, really hard to beat. Any meat cooked in an underground pit is good, goat, beef, turkey, venison.. it's all pretty tasty.

Good luck!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #14
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

I am gathering materials. I have the pig ordered, it will be in next Monday and they will allow it to defrost all week in their cooler so on Friday I can get it, prep it, and cook it. Local cost seems to be $2.86/lb with head for 50-60lb dressed. I bought some firebricks today. I will get some wood this week. I have a friend that will dig the hole with a mini-excavator. I have seen the concrete reinforcing mesh and it looks ideal. I already had the grate. Bought burlap and aluminum foil last week. Now all I am fretting is the lid. I don't think the piece of aluminum I have will be big enough. I think I will buy a piece of steel plate, hopefully I can by a remnant or odd size.

Getting excited, less that 2 weeks to go. Hope I don't forget something. Thank you to all who have advised me.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

Your hole doesn't need to be deep. Keep your hole to a size comparable to your pig, don't over dig.
Take some of the concrete mesh and reinforce your corrugated metal top. You can wire a couple of pieces together. It will give it some structure and still be at a manageable weight.

Steel plate = expensive and heavy!

Looking forward to pron!

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote