MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #9736
dddouglas
Knows what a fatty is.

Got mine at walgreens for $6.00 and was up North last week saw them in meijer I think. Look around you will find these in the least expected places like grocery & drug stores. If you find one for more than $10 for them you need to move on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41DU9HJ8tzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (9.8 KB, 859 views)
dddouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #9737
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddouglas View Post
Got mine at walgreens for $6.00 and was up North last week saw them in meijer I think. Look around you will find these in the least expected places like grocery & drug stores. If you find one for more than $10 for them you need to move on.

Dollar general too maybe....but that is pretty close to what I got at Walmart, the walmart one had a fancier tripod base to throw away ;-), and it's grill was more of the straight across that will orient at 90 degrees to form squares if that is what you want. I just drilled a slew of 1/2" holes in my 1" tall lip.

Bill
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #9738
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddouglas View Post
Ace hardware has those same grills for $4.99, free ship to store option if they aren't in stock.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9739
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

I got bold and cut the top rim from my drum, partially because the flat lid I found would nit fit INSIDE it, and probably a Weber or other dome lid would not fit OUTSIDE it. And fired off another test burn. Wanted to have more solid experience before I throw $30 worth of brisket on it :-). I placed this pampered chef stone on the lower rack and checked the temp 5" above it, and right below it.

Running with just the 3/4 ball valve open and around 8lbs of RO lump in the basket.

375f below, 250f above it.

I did check both my short and long thermo's the other day in boiling water and they are right on the money around 212.

That stone I made the mistake of "seasoning" it with canola oil, basically ruined it unless I can find a person with a pottery kiln to refire it, we do not have a self cleaning over either, people have reported cleaning them in one.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #9740
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

This is weird (to me anyway hehe). I lit off the UDS yesterday in the morning, I think it was 10 am or so, loaded the fire basket and dropped a full lit chimney of lump on top. Closed it up, ran it a bit with all the air ports open, plugged them one at a time til I was down to just the ball valve. It was running 225-250. Left for work, came home at 1045pm and looked out, it was at 200. Figuired it had tapered down and was done.

So at 9am I look out this morning, nearly a full 24 hours, and it is at 250 ??

HUH ?? Pulled the lid and heck only about half the lump had burned, I hit it with forced air from a small shop vac and the coals were burning all through the pile of remaining lump. So I closed it back up and went to readjusting the air. I had this one bag of lump, not sure where I got it, but the bag is a different color than the "normal" RO lump I have gotten other places/times.

Bill

Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #9741
jcinadr
On the road to being a farker

Used the cheep tabletop grill and a pizza pan as ash trays - preferred the pizza pan as I think I get better air flow.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #9742
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Playing around with the long thermometer, putting it in at 90 degrees to the barrel without the stone in there shows about 25f hotter than sticking it straight down from the top to about the same location. So the higher temp from 90 degree orientation must be because more surface area is exposed to radiant heating from below ?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #9743
SmokeGut
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey everyone. I am about to begin my UDS build and will keep you all updated with photoes. I bought a drum with the orangish liner in it and just had someone sandblast the inside and outside of it for $75.00

I read most of the pages on this thread, was just wondering if anyone recommends a certain build plan thats most popular for the UDS, or are they pretty much all the same? Is it worth just buying a kit with the basket, thermometer, handle and everything or is that much more money that way? Thanks
SmokeGut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #9744
capnrob97

I am starting to path to my first UDS build. Found a place downtown that sells new unlined 55 gallon drums for $70. Decided to go that route instead of dealing with the liner in a food grade barrel.
capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #9745
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeGut View Post
Hey everyone. I am about to begin my UDS build and will keep you all updated with photoes. I bought a drum with the orangish liner in it and just had someone sandblast the inside and outside of it for $75.00

I read most of the pages on this thread, was just wondering if anyone recommends a certain build plan thats most popular for the UDS, or are they pretty much all the same? Is it worth just buying a kit with the basket, thermometer, handle and everything or is that much more money that way? Thanks
The kits might be ok, you just to ask yourself "there IS $129 worth of stuff in the kit, but is it the exact "stuff" I really want" ??

And on the unlined drum, probably well worth it to not have to burn epoxy from the inside :-).

Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #9746
jcinadr

Not sure what is in the "kit". I bet I could come up with $120 of stuff if I tried, but that does not mean it is all in the kit. Normal stuff would be 3 1/4" bolts, 3 1/4" nuts, 3 1/4" acorn nuts, possibly 6 1/4" washers, a Weber grate (and many double all of that and install 2 grates). Normal build has 3 3/4" close pipe nipples, 2 3/4" caps, a 3/4" ball valve, 6 3/4" conduit nuts (but some people just use magnets to close the holes). Personally I preferred brass nipples and plugs, they cost a bit more but are less maintenance - but then again now I use a guru and that is a completely different story.

The fire basket takes a decent chunk of expanded metal (I think I made 2 from a half sheet - but you can use a bit less if you use a donated charcoal grate), then you will normally want an ash pan. You will also want a pit thermometer. I also have a few valve stems on mine to act as gourmets for temp probes.

The top has a bunch of options, depending on your drum. If you use an open top, you can just remove the bung hole and screw in a smoke stack (and something to cover it) - or drill a few holes (arghhhh, all the rain will come into your barrel). Many people prefer a Weber lid.

Then there is building equipment - step bits and burner. Kit probably does not include this $40-50 of stuff.

Oh, did not mention the basket handle. I like my system of a re-bar chicken's foot. The base is below the ash pan and the leg goes up through the basket. Grab the leg and the whole assembly lifts up, plus the feet give some insulation between the drum bottom and the ash pan - but it requires welding.
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #9747
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
Not sure what is in the "kit". I bet I could come up with $120 of stuff if I tried, but that does not mean it is all in the kit. Normal stuff would be 3 1/4" bolts, 3 1/4" nuts, 3 1/4" acorn nuts, possibly 6 1/4" washers, a Weber grate (and many double all of that and install 2 grates). Normal build has 3 3/4" close pipe nipples, 2 3/4" caps, a 3/4" ball valve, 6 3/4" conduit nuts (but some people just use magnets to close the holes). Personally I preferred brass nipples and plugs, they cost a bit more but are less maintenance - but then again now I use a guru and that is a completely different story.

The fire basket takes a decent chunk of expanded metal (I think I made 2 from a half sheet - but you can use a bit less if you use a donated charcoal grate), then you will normally want an ash pan. You will also want a pit thermometer. I also have a few valve stems on mine to act as gourmets for temp probes.

The top has a bunch of options, depending on your drum. If you use an open top, you can just remove the bung hole and screw in a smoke stack (and something to cover it) - or drill a few holes (arghhhh, all the rain will come into your barrel). Many people prefer a Weber lid.

Then there is building equipment - step bits and burner. Kit probably does not include this $40-50 of stuff.

Oh, did not mention the basket handle. I like my system of a re-bar chicken's foot. The base is below the ash pan and the leg goes up through the basket. Grab the leg and the whole assembly lifts up, plus the feet give some insulation between the drum bottom and the ash pan - but it requires welding.
You forgot the most important item--------Beer
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #9748
shazam
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17mbpro View Post
Thanks to all the knowledgable folks on this site I've been able to build this. I'm quite done yet, all I need to do is build the fire box and get a temp gauge installed Does anyone have a clever idea on how to attach the expanded metal to the grate without welding? The jury is still out on the handle and exhaust pipe, but I put them there just to see what it looks like....thoughts?
i believe i used 3/8" SS eye bolts(3) from tsc with fender washers. hand picked for the largest gap. still had to use a hammer to tap one onto the 3/4X #9. z
shazam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #9749
capnrob97

While waiting for parts to come in the mail, I gave my barrel a paint job.

May add a few 'Toxic' or 'Hazardous' stencils on it as well.

capnrob97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #9750
bholtzinger
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnrob97 View Post

May add a few 'Toxic' or 'Hazardous' stencils on it as well.

I am in the process of building 6 more and that is the theme I am going with. Yours looks good.
bholtzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker