MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Anyone Tried Morton's Sea Salt?

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm hoping it will be priced reasonably enough to use it instead of kosher in my rubs.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
thillin

I've had the yellow container for about a year. I use it in place of Kosher for injections, and have been happy with it. I also use it on anything grilled instead of Kosher.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
ericoask
Knows what a fatty is.

Whats the advantage on using sea over kosher?
Brinkman Electric
Large BGE
ericoask is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Has anyone tried this yet? I'm hoping it will be priced reasonably enough to use it instead of kosher in my rubs.
I use the coarse on my margarita glasses . . . instead of Mr. T's

Lower expense and people seem to really like it . . .
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Azinine
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoask View Post
Whats the advantage on using sea over kosher?
I would also enjoy a salt education.

"Yeah, but bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood" -Pulp Fiction

Weber Smokey Mountain
Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
Charbroil Silver Smoker w/ mods (never used anymore)
Azinine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Morton's is very good... lot's of great salts out there..

Check out the Salt Authority.com

http://www.saltauthority.com/sea-salt.html

Excellent selectiond a summary and review about each.

I have bought from them... good service..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

In rubs I like it cause its fine ground. Works well good taste.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #8
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

Good stuff, I still like kosher salt though
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.
Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving in tact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts often come at a dear price, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved. Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Wow.. Thanks Sledneck !!! That was such an in depth response. I learned a lot. You are the salt master !!!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #11
ericoask
Knows what a fatty is.

Now that was an explanation
Brinkman Electric
Large BGE
ericoask is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Plowboy

I was using the Fine Grind in rubs, but have moved to free flowing table salt because of cost.

The containers pictures are $2 to $2.25 at my local supermarkets. A box of table salt is 3/4 that price for 4x the salt.

If I want a coarse grind, I reach for Kosher.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Last edited by Plowboy; 06-09-2007 at 11:19 PM..
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

when I have used sea salt it seemed a lot stronger than the kosher.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 AM   #14
parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
For the cook's purposes, the main difference between salts is in their texture. Table salt's fine granules dissolve quickly, making it the preferred salt of bakers. Sea salt and kosher salt possess larger, irregular grains that add a delightful crunch and hit of briny flavor when sprinkled on food at the last minute. Generally, savvy cooks prefer kosher salt when cooking, since its coarse texture is easier to take a pinch of when seasoning savory dishes.

Chemically there is little difference between kitchen salts. All are at least 97 1/2 percent sodium chloride. But there are significant differences in the provenance and processing of these salts.
Table salt is mined from underground salt deposits, and includes a small portion of calcium silicate, an anti-caking agent added to prevent clumping. It possesses very fine crystals and a sharp taste. Because of its fine grain a single teaspoon of table salt contains more salt than a tablespoon of kosher or sea salt.
Sea salt is harvested from evaporated seawater and receives little or no processing, leaving in tact the minerals from the water it came from. These minerals flavor and color the salt slightly. However, because these salts often come at a dear price, it is worth keeping in mind that they lose their unique flavor when cooked or dissolved. Kosher salt takes its name from its use in the koshering process. It contains no preservatives and can be derived from either seawater or underground sources. Aside from being a great salt to keep within arm's reach when you are cooking, it is particularly useful in preserving, because its large crystals draw moisture out of meats and other foods more effectively than other salts
That's hogwash. The main difference between table salt and kosher salt is the iodide that is added to make it iodized. Without that we as humans would not get it at all. It staves of goiters. I'll bet that almost no one here has ever seen someone with a goiter. Your grand parents probably did. It is pretty much a non issue these days because of the added element.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #15
Markbb
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Goaders

When I was kid in Germany early 70s alot of the older german folk woman i've noticed had goiters, but its not so prevalent today!
Markbb is offline   Reply With Quote