MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!
Default Can you recommend a book or a few books? Competition bbq related

I have been reading all day bbq related topics and posts and books. Just wonder if you have any recommendations? I would like one that has rub and sauce recipes that work in competition. Just wanting to branch out and learn more. I probably will stick to commercial made rubs this year but I want to learn more. A comp specific book would be great. Thanks for your help.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #2
Knothead
Full Fledged Farker

Big-time Barbeque by Ray Lampe is where I would start.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Are you looking for a comp. bbq instruction manual? Good luck. Most of the information you need is right here on this forum. The key is to practice and practice with what you learn.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

There are lots of good BBQ books, but very few specifically on competition BBQ. George Hensler, a Brethren member, Wrote Startin' The Fires, which is about competition BBQ.

http://amzn.com/1890689149

Also, competition cooks and Brethren Andy Husbands and Chris Hart wrote Wicked Good BBQ, which has some competition recipes.

http://amzn.com/B00D9T99O2

But, your best bet is to take a class from a proven competition cook.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
jcog44
Knows what a fatty is.

Competition Bbq Secrets by Bill Anderson of Chatham Artillery Bbq Team. Great first book written for the new competition cook. Even includes checklists.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
Are you looking for a comp. bbq instruction manual? Good luck. Most of the information you need is right here on this forum. The key is to practice and practice with what you learn.
Not necessarily a manual just figure when I can't practice I can read and learn. I am trying to see what other have done and see if I can use anything to help my cooking get better. I am actually practicing ribs tonight but using foil. I am out of dominator rib rub until Saturday so I am experimenting with a dry rub I made based on the backs of some of the dry rubs I get commercially. I like the color so far but we will see when I am done. I also am trying new mix for sauce. Just some doctored blues hog sauce. I think your right about taking another class just got to wait until one shows up that is close enough. This weekend I plan to run my first practice of the year for whitings on Saturday or Sunday.I plan to get down to ceramic grill works for supplies Saturday morning.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

+1 for Startin' The Fire.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 PM   #8
dgod
Found some matches.

Smoke & Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison has a number of different rubs,mop and sauce recipes. I also like "Wileys Championship BBQ" by Wiley and Janet McCrary.
dgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

Reading is good, but unless you can put it into practice by cooking, it won't do you any good. Practice, practice and practice some more. You've taken Dan's class, now you have to practice that until you're sick of looking at ribs and chicken. Practicing once a month is not going to cut it. You have to cook until your product comes out almost identical every time...until it becomes second nature. IMO, based on the last few posts you've made, you're over thinking the process. There is no magic technique to make your competition cooks go better...except practice.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #10
ITBFQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Valley BBQ View Post
Reading is good, but unless you can put it into practice by cooking, it won't do you any good. Practice, practice and practice some more. You've taken Dan's class, now you have to practice that until you're sick of looking at ribs and chicken. Practicing once a month is not going to cut it. You have to cook until your product comes out almost identical every time...until it becomes second nature. IMO, based on the last few posts you've made, you're over thinking the process. There is no magic technique to make your competition cooks go better...except practice.
I couldn't have said it better. Also, remember you are cooking for judges, not for yourself. Personally, I would ditch the Pineapple Head rub and head west.

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hatfield-and-McCoy-Barbecue/765488903565575"]Hatfield and McCoy Barbecue[/URL] - Co-Pitmaster
Illinois This Butt's for 'Que - Pitmaster

KCBS CBJ; 18.5" WSM; [COLOR="Sienna"]U[/COLOR][COLOR="Navy"]D[/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"]S[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Blue"]DigiQ DX2[/COLOR]; [COLOR="DarkOrange"]IQ120[/COLOR]; [COLOR="Gray"]CharBroil Gasser (wind victim after 11 years)[/COLOR]; Maverick; OTS x2; etc.

[URL="http://bbqbeat.com/hatfield-and-mccoy-bbq-team/"]We're (kinda) famous![/URL]
ITBFQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #11
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
+1 for Startin' The Fire.
+ 2. Wish I had read it before I started competing. It's good for info, no recipes.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly :boxing:
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITBFQ View Post
I couldn't have said it better. Also, remember you are cooking for judges, not for yourself. Personally, I would ditch the Pineapple Head rub and head west.
California is the place you oughta be,so pack up your smoker and move to Beverly (well, technically Coachella)

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Books are a good starting point, but as others have said, it is not paint by numbers. I too recommend Dr. Bbq for a good starting point of what competition recipes are. When reading though, pay attention to the trees and not the forrest.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Blue Smoke BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Smoke and Spice is good
As well as Smokin with Myron Mixon and Big Bob Gibson Book
Melissa Cookston, Smokin in the boys room
Wicked Good BBQ
Mike Mills, Peace, love and bbq
Many more out there
Blue Smoke BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I would also take a CBJ class so you know what the judges are being taught and then judge a couple of competitions so you get a feel for what is being turned in.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote